• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    No. My natural language is littered with expletives. I can't go a day without peppering the planet with foul language. Sorry. I know that I am the only person on this website who talks that way.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I guess I was wrong, thinking we could have a civil discussion.
    Why is it that when people don't want to answer a question, or when they feel they are losing an argument ( not saying that is , in fact, the case here), they resort to name calling?

The problem is that you were not debating the topic. You were picking on the language used, not the message. If you want to argue the OP, then fine. The rest is typical internet troll war tactics and it is boring and useless.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As to the childrens hospital issue, I see no upside. If there is limited likelihood someone will actually need to utilize a weapon in the hospital, why is it necessary? AND If it is used, what is the likelihood that the person utilizing it will do so in the proper circumstance where no one else is in jeopardy and no alternative means exists to resolve the situation without a bullet?

Really???!!!!

"There was never any shooting in Sandy Hook before there was one." This argument carries as much water.

And this argument could be extended to everywhere - oh wait, that's what the anti's do: "you don't need a gun there".

Here's the upside: You use your weapon to prevent violence. It's the same "upside" as carrying anywhere else.

How about the downside of "childrens hospital carry": nothing. Despite what others in this thread "know", you will not go to jail. You may be asked to return you firearm to your car. This is the same "downside" of carrying almost everywhere in Indiana.

As a 2A, pro-carry guy, I will not be telling you where you should and should not carry based on my opinion if it's safe, prudent, smart or whatever else. I will tell you where it is illegal.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    1. "Well regulated" as used by the writers of the Constitution meant "well supplied" or "well equipped." What it means today is totally irrelevant. Any discussion of the 2A imposing today's meaning on the language used is a total fallacy at best.

2. Most people on this site do have the "gravitas" to discuss the issue. The closed-mindedness runs deep throughout this thread. Why can't people just answer the question and then leave it alone? The fact that the OP asked the question is an indicator that he has a basic understanding of his responsibilities, no need for everyone to interject their opinion of his exercising his rights as he sees fit.

My bona fides? I am a 45 year old army veteran who is a history major with an intense interest in philology. An interesting read on the subject is Bill of Rights: Original Meaning and Current Understanding

Read Heller. Read the Wikipedia article that cites Heller. Well-regulated infers discipline and training. It no longer means "well-supplied", if it ever meant that in this specific instance of usage. Unfortunately, the English language provides for multiple meanings for a single word.

As to the hypothetical: would I participate in the confiscation of firearms while in uniform? Whether in uniform or not: Never. Molon Labe.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Yay! ... Hitler was mentioned! You knew he (or the Nazis) would show up eventually.

Some people just can't play nice. The guy that chastises and accuses the Mod for attacking the "bonafides" instead of the argument earlier, decides to launch a personal insult? Funny, how the internet allows us to act in ways that we would never dream of doing in public.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Dangit. I did NOT want to do this. Let me clearly state that the temp-ban I just issued has nothing to do with our discussion and everything to do with the fact that an in-thread warning was given and ignored.

Whether you do or don't swear in face to face conversations, the fact is that Fenway does not allow it here. Using "creative spelling" to avoid the "cuss filter" has long been disallowed.

Doing this in a thread where you know at least one mod is reading the thread actively was not the smartest action, Manatee.

Blessings,
    Bill

I did A88hole. Read the second quote.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Dangit. I did NOT want to do this. Let me clearly state that the temp-ban I just issued has nothing to do with our discussion and everything to do with the fact that an in-thread warning was given and ignored.

Whether you do or don't swear in face to face conversations, the fact is that Fenway does not allow it here. Using "creative spelling" to avoid the "cuss filter" has long been disallowed.

Doing this in a thread where you know at least one mod is reading the thread actively was not the smartest action, Manatee.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Bill, I have to agree with you and Mike.
    No matter how condescending or argumentive someone is, I can read, and even have a discussion (or argument) with him. But when he feels the need to resort to childish name calling, I'm done.
    thank you!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Bill, I have to agree with you and Mike.
    No matter how condescending or argumentive someone is, I can read, and even have a discussion (or argument) with him. But when he feels the need to resort to childish name calling, I'm done.
    thank you!
    At the end of the day resorting to name-calling and personal attacks just shows, in my mind, that the attacker has nothing logical left with which to defend their point.

Some people admit they're incorrect... Some people are willing to agree to disagree... Some people never give up the fight and when they run out of legitimate arguments they sling mud.

It's unfortunate. I didn't think poorly of Manatee due to him thinking differently than myself but I most certainly do think poorly of him now due to his actions today in this thread.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Im gonna C that F with an X and pound him with a B then smack him with a Z till his head bleeds out of his E, He is nothing but a W and his mom is a W and his grandma is a two bit W because she aint got no teeth...

Wait what were we talking about... I got busy trolling and forgot

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Cut him a break. He called me a psyko bubba. I assumed that was an insult. Anyway, cut him some slack. I think sometimes folks get a little upset that their words don't have the gravity that they think is appropriate. He obviously considers himself to be very knowledgeable about guns and carry issues and doesn't understand why his is not the last word on any subject. There are others like him on here. I truly hope his little vacation is a short one and he comes back ready to rock.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    In fairness, the thread wasn't Godwinned, he was talking about so-called "grammar Nazis".
    I'm not sure what happened. Maybe he was just having a rotten day and took it out on this thread. Maybe he left his account logged in and someone else posted that. Maybe he just got to the end of his patience and was telling the truth about his daily language being peppered with expletives... I doubt that one. The only thing I know is that I don't know what led to it, but it ticks me off that I had to moderate a thread in which I'm involved in the discussion. Normally, the mod team works together, and I'd simply have asked one of the others to approach this with a more objective view of the thread to avoid any impression of abusing mod powers to "win" an argument. I chose not to do that because, from my perspective, it was a reasonably civil discussion prior to that post. Just to be absolutely fair, though, I posted to the rest of the staff, asking them to please take a peek at the thread and review the "vacation" I issued. If they feel it's either too long or not long enough, any of them can change it.

It's disheartening, I have to say. I had a discussion with a self-described liberal on here a few years ago that went on for many days... The posts were long and detailed, very involved, and yet, not once did either of us slip from the discussion of issues into anything personal. It was an intellectually stimulating discussion, and I think finity and I both learned some things from it. I know I came away from it with an honest respect for the man.

Here, Manatee tells us all how pro-2A he is, and this discussion devolved so quickly... not only the post that got him his "vacation", but others in the thread as well that brought about the warning...

I hate issuing bans. Every time I have to do one, it feels like I failed somewhere, that I didn't get through to someone with rational discussion and logic. (note that that doesn't mean that they have to agree with me, only that the discussion takes that downturn.)

Not the way I want to end this year or start the next one.

Blessings,
    Bill

Yay! ... Hitler was mentioned! You knew he (or the Nazis) would show up eventually.

Some people just can't play nice. The guy that chastises and accuses the Mod for attacking the "bonafides" instead of the argument earlier, decides to launch a personal insult? Funny, how the internet allows us to act in ways that we would never dream of doing in public.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Bill, you cannot control others. You can only control yourself. There was no failure on your part - only one person failed to refrain from foul language and direct insults.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I know. And I don't want to *control* others. My job as a mod here is to keep things running smoothly and to somewhat act as a "janitor", cleaning up the :poop: that doesn't belong here (such as the guy a long while back that decided to "go out in a blaze of glory" and posted pictures of a male member all over the site. Those posts all disappeared relatively quickly, and even his name is pretty much forgotten. As it should be.)

I issued the warning, and even that should be unnecessary amongst adults. That's where I feel like I failed at something. Consciously, I know I did my part to keep things civil. I'm guessing that's where the saying comes from, "This is why we can't have nice things." (smh)

Thanks for your supportive post.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill, you cannot control others. You can only control yourself. There was no failure on your part - only one person failed to refrain from foul language and direct insults.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Let me clearly state that the temp-ban I just issued has nothing to do with our discussion and everything to do with the fact that an in-thread warning was given and ignored...

Just my :twocents:.
    You'd be doing the site a huge improvement if ya'll would stop with the wrist slapping and just kick troublemakers out.
    You're gonna let this fine fellow with extremely poor social skills back in and he will be a continual PIA until you are at this point again. In the mean time who can even judge how many intelligent posters he runs off or pushes into lurkers? INGO has a pretty high number of members, but how many actual frequent regular posters?

Make no mistake, I totally appreciate the good work the staff does.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You'd be doing the site a huge improvement if ya'll would stop with the wrist slapping and just kick troublemakers out.
    You're gonna let this fine fellow with extremely poor social skills back in and he will be a continual PIA until you are at this point again. In the mean time who can even judge how many intelligent posters he runs off or pushes into lurkers? INGO has a pretty high number of members, but how many actual frequent regular posters?

It the mods didnt give wrist slaps, there'd be more tumbleweeds than posters.
    (I'd still be her though)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

But the comic relief can be fun ONCE IN A WHILE.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    In fairness, the thread wasn't Godwinned, he was talking about so-called "grammar Nazis".

I know that it technically wasn't Godwinned but you just had that feeling that a Nazi was going to show up somewhere along the line for one reason or another.

It's disheartening, I have to say. .... this discussion devolved so quickly... not only the post that got him his "vacation", but others in the thread as well that brought about the warning ...

I hate issuing bans. Every time I have to do one, it feels like I failed somewhere, that I didn't get through to someone with rational discussion and logic. (note that that doesn't mean that they have to agree with me, only that the discussion takes that downturn.)

Don't sweat it. It's kinda like the kid with the hot rod trying to make it through the gate crossing. He hears the bells. He sees the lights. He sees the gates coming down. He hears the train horn. He sees the train. Logic and physics say, "You'll never make it!" but he stomps on the gas anyway. Only in this case, instead of a train, he gets hit by the ban hammer. Not the engineer/conductor's fault and in this case, it's not the mod's fault.

Now ... where were we? Oh yeah, signs don't equal force of law. However, I didn't know about that whole thing involving secure/holding areas of a hospital where law might actually apply.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    how are you spelling - :poop: - in your mind? This could be a creative way of getting around the cussing filters also.

Oh, and I have nothing useful to say on this subject. I just wanted to carve my name on the wall.

Top Bottom