• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I believe most hospital post no firearm signs but unless there is a secure wing or childcare on site, that is just a rule not the law. In my area, Memorial Hospital in South Bend used to have a secure section (not sure if they do now). The biggest problem with with Memorial is where it's at-downtown South Bend. Anyone who knows the area knows what I'm talking about. In Mishawaka, the Med Center does not have a secure area but still has a 'no firearm' sign prominently displayed at their main entrance.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To the "you don't need it there", or "you'll likely hit a bystander", have you not noticed some of the people there.
    Maybe its just me, I've had to have some removed around 7 times, and arrested once while at a pediatric intensive care.

Should i leave my gun in the car, to be stolen, or to be attacked in the garage?

And I must have been so in the wrong, when everyone in the waiting room clapped, and the little old lady said "go gettem".

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Would you say you carry all the time, most of the time or less than half the time? If your H&K leaves your side, how do you decide when you carry and when you do not?

I'd say most of the time it's right here. When I'm at the VA or voting, it stays outside. I haven't had to draw my firearm outside my home.

And while drowning deaths are up, I don't wear a life preserver.

Last edited:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    "They are getting rid of McDonald's too. Poor kids getting chemo can't get Mc D's fries anymore. I'm sure their patients will be so much happier now. I have very fond memories of that McD's. "

That sucks. when my son was there getting treatments and for some stays he looked forward to wheeling him down there for lunch.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The justification concept comes up a lot. I think of my protection gun as a tool in case I need it like a seat belt or a fire extinguisher. I probably won't need any of them very often in my life, yet all of them are the only tool for the job even if I only use them once in my life. In fact, all are so important that if you don't have them the one time in your life you need them you and those you care about may die. When someone asks me why I feel a need to carry to a specific place, my response would be "I carry everywhere, why would I choose to disarm for that one place"? The place that I disarm are only the places I must legally disarm, and only the ones that are legally required, not the ones who post signs saying they don't want you to have them there. I carry concealed and ignore all those signs. I do wish there was an official sign a place could post that verified they were an illegal place to carry, and also a steep fine for all the dim wits that decide to hang the same sign to try and get their desired results. My problem is I don't know which larger businesses do have a prohibited condition since the buildings are huge and have hundreds of rooms.

That said, we should start a list of says Guns, fire extinguishers, and seat belts are the same.

Nothing can be substituted for them if they are needed.

Rarely needed, but critical if needed even once.

Death can occur if not operated correctly

All can be abused, but are a necessary part of society for those who don't.

If you are "just going to make a quick trip to the store" you might still need them, so resist the urge to take the fire extinguisher out of the vehicle,
    leave the gun at home, and leave the seat belt off.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I look at the need to carry 100% of the time not so much different than the laws that are created that affects the future, for all time, because some idiot did something once. There are many such laws.

I consider it a lack of judgement. Put a rule in place so that no one has to make a conscious decision.

As to a childrens hospital, I consider the risk of an altercation that can be stopped SOLELY with a firearm wielded by ME. In my view, those instances are so rare as to be without meaning. Hence, I'm willing to leave the handgun in the vehicle.

Yeah, well... once I figure out how to predict the future with 100% accuracy, so I can know when and where I might be attacked, I'll just avoid going to those places at those times and will have no need to ever carry a firearm again.

But until that day, I'm going to continue to carry everywhere I legally can.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Is the whole hospital off limits or just the portion used by the Sheriff's Dept.?
    I'm not even allowed to carry inside the secure area when bringing a prisoner. However, the law only states that the city cannot limit firearms possession in/on city property unless the building contains a court room or secure detention/jail. So, the city hospital (Eskenazi) can deny firearms on it's property but it in not illegal to do so. I cannot seem to find any saying it's "illegal" to carry into a secure facility (outside of the trafficking with an inmate law).

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I CC a G27 IWB for 5 days in St Vincents while the wife was recovering from surgery. Either the nurses did not catch it was there or looked the other way.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    also been carrying at I U Health downtown each time the wife has Chemo and never had anyone say anything about it. Been there 11 times thus far.IWB of course.

medic6882

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Demotte
    At St Anthony in Crown Point all security is armed and most all are off duty LEO. If they see you carrying they give you the option to leave, lock it in our vehicle or the will offer to lock it in one of several gun safes throughout the hospital and give you a claim ticket to retrieve it.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    How many attacks at children's hospitals in America in the last say…..100 years?

And I thank you NOT to confuse me with an anti-gunner. I am anti-stupidity.

Unless it's wrapped up for CHRISTMAS, I wouldn't recommend walking around with a BAT, either..... :):

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know for certain, but I don't think Riley has any type of official school status making it illegal to carry there.

Secondarily, why would wanting to carry there make someone "paranoid?" Don't we get enough of that type of talk from anti-gunners like the Moms with no Sense group? Hospitals have been the scene of several recent high profile shootings and violent attacks. I carried into the ER recently when my wife needed x-rays. I don't think I was paranoid, it was just another stop in which I happened to have my sidearm.
    When I was a patient there in the Early 70's, they had a "Classroom" there. Don't know if it was an "Official" SCHOOL", though.
    Dad always had his High Standard "Sentenal" (Sp) in his pocket, but of course it was out of sight.....

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How many attacks at children's hospitals in America in the last say…..100 years?

And I thank you NOT to confuse me with an anti-gunner. I am anti-stupidity.

Not really what was asked.

...I've read enough of your posts to know that's not the case. I'm only pointing out that calling someone's desire to carry "paranoid" sounds like something the anti-gun crowd would say.

One can never predict when they might need their gun, that's why it's recommended that they carry everywhere they are legally able to do so...

I don't think it's paranoid, that's all. I advocate for carrying everywhere that one is legally able to do so.

Agreed...

Well, more kids die of drowning than handgun accidents. I guess you could wrap them in life jackets full time in the event they encountered a drowning situation.

Or you could use judgement.

There's that…..

Apparently, we are supposed to use & trust judgement you agree with. Sorry, not buying in.

All IU Health campuses are weapon free. They don't even want you to carry a knife. It is plainly posted @ every entrance. With that being said it is private property and if they catch you security will call PD and have you arrested. You can't carry a weapon on private property if it is posted. I'm not saying you can't carry it, just wonder why you need to or would want to in a hospital?

Extrapolate that line of thought and see where you get.

This is why you can't even post on here. I was simply passing along info and all the SHL's have to put in their 2 cents. If you are caught in the hospital and security calls PD what do you really think will happen? And the fact is that every entrance says no weapons allowed. I never said an electrician couldn't carry a knife, it was said that they don't even want you to have a knife.

I think by law, they are to ask you to leave. If you refuse then that would be a trespassing charge.

The difference Tobi: You own your house. You control all of the variables. You don't need permission to be there.

All of those things don't necessarily exist in a public space. You might not even realize who the bad guys are…or at least not all of them. If you act, you better be certain why there was no other way to resolve the situation.

Me? I'll take the risk that walking in to visit a little kid ain't the same thing as walkin down the street in the hood with $100 bills hangin out of my pocket.

Judgement.

Thanks, again, I guess we should just all check our own judgement at the door, because you have it handled for us.

All that said, the OP asked if it was legal. He didn't ask for anything else. That would include anyone's personal list on where they feel we should carry, or for tactical advice on how to stop an active shooter in the hospital.

Top Bottom