• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    This is more of a rant than anything else.

I've been looking foward to this Friday for a few weeks, this was my vacation week and we just returned home Thursday from Alabama so I could shoot double trap today with my new Mossberg O/U. My buddy was suppose to meet me at 10:30 this morning but due to family issues he had to cancel, so my wife out of pity said she would go along to watch, this was her first time to any range.

So we went to a Clay Sporting range, I had to buy ammo because my 6oz shot was not allowed $35 for 100rds, hen the 100 clays $20. I was forced to shoot single trap because a "Member" had just purchased 500 clays and I didn't want my wife to have to wait for him to finish.

So I setup for single trap the system there is voice activated. I began shooting and moving the 5 positions like a normal "game" during this time some "members" Brittany (dog) starting chasing clays so I broke my barrel and waited this happened a few times. I could see guy on the double trap system about 20 yards away start stomping fits... Ok whatever he's having a bad day. So I keep shooting I starting having issues with position 2 and 5 as they were throwing far low and right so I practiced those two spots to refine myself... Range sin?

So about 60rds into it he went over and starting complaining to his wife who was sitting next to my wife. "Whats that kid doing? He just practicing! I can't tell if he's on 2 or 5! I can't concentrate! BANG BANG! I can't shoot s***!" I over heard this I have those CS baffle drum protectors.

BTW I only had one round in the chamber on each position (O) so I reloaded every position.

So I shot 15 more rounds grabbed my gear starting walking in the club house when double trap guy's buddy asked me if I was "Finally done?" I nodded went inside got my change she had forgotten to give me earlier and left... As I was leaving DT guy was mouthing to the range operaters. I never stopped and jumped in my (diesel) truck started it up and I guess it was close enough to set the voice activation off DT guy about threw his citori 12 down the range. I rolled out...

Was I wrong for walking the 5 positions? He accused me of the Atrocity of "just Practicing" what was he doing? It not Saturday at 6pm there is no match taking place no trophies were to be given out at the end of the day! And if my shooting is bothering you how can you ever become a focused shooter? When you shoot 4rds stop and stare at me.

I never lost my cool, did not curse, maintained excellent safety handling. I was doing very well with my own game. But needless to say, It would could have been a great day for shooting. This didn't set well with my wife and it's too bad her first range experience was like this... Maybe some other time.

I know this doesn't sound like a big deal but I rarely have the chance to go to the range because I work full time and attend school full time. So the whole day was a big deal to me.

Just my rant...

Last edited:

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Can't fix stupid.

I wonder why the moron had an issue with "just practicing". Isn't that how you get better in the first place?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    what kinda idiot lets his dog chase clays? thats just asking to have one less family member on the way home...

I don't think you were in the wrong. i'm a little confused though... did the noise of your truck starting up trigger the launching mechanism? if so, thats hilarious.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You just need to go to a GOOD club, with some one who KNOWS what they are doing and WANTS to HELP you.

Short of that you could come to one of the clubs near me and I'll meet you there. Just stop at Walmart and buy a hundred box of the "target" loads they have on sale most of the time.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    It is very, very common for real trapshooters to stay on a single station and call for 100 birds at that station until they feel comfortable going home. If they lost a match by one bird on a registered shoot, they don't want it to happen again.

Were these guys breaking 25/25? How good were these guys? Trap is always loaded before each shot. That's normal. You can't stand on a station with two loaded unless you're shooting doubles (or Skeet, but that's a different subject). Were these guys trying to shoot off the same house as you? If so, it's polite to shoot your 25 and let the next group shoot their 25. If they weren't shooting off your same house, it doesn't matter what you're doing.

I've shot with guys who just wanted to practice a station, and I've had times when I've wanted to stay on a single station. When I rotate to them, they'll move and shoot five from the next station, then return to their desired station when I rotate. This isn't hard to figure out for anyone who's done this for a while. Now, nobody practices a single station on a full squad, but that's common sense.

You need practice from 2 and 5? That's an odd pairing. Those stations are pretty different.

P.S., having a dog run on the field is a mark of a very unprofessional facility. I have never seen that, and if it ruined a good round, I'd want credit for another round. Not everyone shoots ATA. A good practice round is a personal achievement.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    unfortunately the sport is full of them there are a few that shoot at fcvcc in anderson that take it way too seriously it happines and i laught cause i am just as good with my cheap nef pump as they are with there 800 benilli whatever o/u

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    You just need to go to a GOOD club, with some one who KNOWS what they are doing and WANTS to HELP you.

Short of that you could come to one of the clubs near me and I'll meet you there. Just stop at Walmart and buy a hundred box of the "target" loads they have on sale most of the time.

Listen to him.

I can speak highly of the Federal 12 Ga. #8-shot Value Packs. Those Federals seem very soft to me. Smoke 'em, just fine, too.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    To the OP, you seem to have forgotten you were a paying customer. You should call the owner/manager and climb up his butt, demand a refund/reshoot of the entire session you paid for and never take crap like that again from any stooge at any clays range. Sadly, they are not uncommon in trap.

What crap club was it?

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    i'm a little confused though... did the noise of your truck starting up trigger the launching mechanism? if so, thats hilarious.

Yeah the idle from my diesel was triggering the mechanism it launched about 3 sets on the double trap which was 15ft away, I took off quickly once I noticed.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ahhh... the ol' Range Commando. I met him at Frank Merry last year, wrote a short piece about it. Turns out he gets around, and seldom looks the same from range to range. Be polite, but don't be a doormat. If you work for your money like I do, it's just as good as his. And like an earlier poster wrote, remember, you can't fix stupid.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    To the OP, you seem to have forgotten you were a paying customer. You should call the owner/manager and climb up his butt, demand a refund/reshoot of the entire session you paid for and never take crap like that again from any stooge at any clays range. Sadly, they are not uncommon in trap.

What crap club was it?

I don't know if I'd go all that far, especially as a new shooter at a new or unfamiliar club.

There's usually a reason for the way things are done and there are general customs expected at about any trap range but that's not to say there are no butt holes or this wasn't one the OP met up with.

The best thing when you are new or trying to learn something is to SPEAK UP. I've never been to ANY club that was at a slack time in the day where a shooter or employee didn't volunteer to help or come out for a few rounds with ANY NEW SHOOTER who mentioned they were new and unfamiliar with the sport in any way.

If you act like you know what you are doing or tell them you've done it before and don't need any help then people around you are going to expect that you know what you are doing. Shooting trap seriously also involves a routine and pace. When some on on the squad fumbles at every station or who's gun fouls repeatedly, tries to pick up emptys during shooting, it's a sure sign of a newbie cluster cluck.

It's annoying and it does affect your "game" about like play golf with Laurel and Hardy. If they said at the start it would be a comedy routine or they were just learning then all around could have chosen to help them or just sit out rather than try to make a serious effort at improving their own "game".

It's no big deal to be new, just speak up, say so.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I would. Trap ain't cheap, and it's supposed to be pretty much the same, everywhere you go.

Well yer free to if you want but isn't that pretty much the point? "Pretty much the same every where you go." Cheap or not cheap, the cost is the same for every one including the guy who headed out to the club where he's shot and spent his money for years? Then one day there is a "smoking 357".:dunno:

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    From your summary, I compliment you on your character and self discipline to maintain a calm, safe composure.

I've left ranges several times over the years when stuff like this happens - irresponsible, unsafe people. Based on your description, this guy was an accident waiting to happen. The only good choice he made was getting the firearm out of his possession before he did something really, really stupid.

I love the part where the ole diesel helped him launch his birds - LOL. I trust you were smiling as well when you drove away.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Range snobs, ruin it for guys that just want to bust some clays for fun. Went to one of those Gun Club places once, I had a 870, they all had guns I never heard of, probably cost more than all my guns combined. I have more fun with a box of clays and a cheap thrower, tossing clays over a corn field anyway.

A lot of these "Club" guys have money and think thier s##t dosent stink, all they want to do is brag about their dogs and guns and where they go and what the do!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jaydond
    Top Bottom