• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I've been putting some money aside for a really nice ar to go along with the rest of my collection. I'm down to picking up either one of the colt competition rifles or a fn scar16. I like both, but here is the dilemma. If I get the colt competition, I've got a nice chunk left over for a really good optic. If I go with the scar, I'm kind of tapped for the time being. I'd love to get the feedback from some people here. I know they are very different riffles and that is why I'm having such a hard time. If they very similar, it would come down to price almost exclusively. Any opinions would be appreciated.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Not knocking your choice in Colt, I understand that some believe they are great, and I am not saying they aren't. But, I have seen other AR platform rifles of the same design for less and shoot as well or better. Colt makes great rifles, but I think your money could be better spent elsewhere and enjoy a great optic with a case of ammo to go along.

As for your current dilemma, I would get the SCAR and hold out for an optic when funding allowed. This would give you time to polish the iron sight shooting until the optic is installed.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I've never had a bad colt and they always hold their money. Thanks for the input. I'm leaning to the scar, but I just hate buying a rifle like the scar and not immediately getting a equally nice optic.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    i thought the competition colts were made by another company w/ the colt name licensed? not that that makes them bad, just not "colt."
    why not something like a noveske or JP if you're looking for a "really nice" ar? what do you want to DO with it? competition? safe queen? home defense? etc? seems that's the starting point that's often overlooked in the "what should I get" question...

-rvb

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I've got several nice ar's. I like to have a bit of everything, but I like the higher end type stuff. I'm more into quality than quantity. I'm mainly looking to target shoot and maybe do some three gun shoots in the future. Mainly just for fun and collecting. I had not heard the competition colts were made by others. Thanks for that info. That is the exact reason I reached out here. I knew someone would have info like that. I was looking at getting the lwrc repr, but just can't justify the price compared to a nice 5.56/2.23 as far as ammo cost go for target shooting. I settled on looking at the colt comp because I held one and it felt really well balanced and well built. I really like colt stuff and thought I'd look at it as a cost comparison with the scar. In my mind I could get a nice ar and a nice optic for the price of just a rifle.

Sm0keydaBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    United States
    The FN Scar is an awesome platform, maybe even great for 3-gun, but the Colt designs are quite tried and true. With the amount of modifications available for the Colt design, I would have to side with the Colt design. The FN Scar is truly awesome and more ergonomic, but for the price, it's hard to justify.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    The FN Scar is an awesome platform, maybe even great for 3-gun, but the Colt designs are quite tried and true. With the amount of modifications available for the Colt design, I would have to side with the Colt design. The FN Scar is truly awesome and more ergonomic, but for the price, it's hard to justify.
    That statement pretty much sums up my dilemma.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    i thought the competition colts were made by another company w/ the colt name licensed? not that that makes them bad, just not "colt."
    why not something like a noveske or JP if you're looking for a "really nice" ar? what do you want to DO with it? competition? safe queen? home defense? etc? seems that's the starting point that's often overlooked in the "what should I get" question...

-rvb

Agreed. In some cases, you are paying alot for a name. In some cases you can get as nice or BETTER avoiding the originator. (yes, I KNOW Armalite is the originator)

Case in point, Blackberry was one of the first smartphone manufacturers. Apple took cues from them and released everything it could do, AND MORE. (without many of the original pitfalls). And Samsung blows Apple out of the water in many respects with even COOLER features.

Remember, The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. So Personally unless you REALLY want the "prestige" of the Colt logo on your weapon, I'd look elsewhere for a better rifle for your money.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Depending on the type of "target shooting" you are going to do, there might be a disconnect between a 3G rifle and a precision type rifle. In my experience a 3G rifle is a hybrid between tactical and precision. So a 3G rifle is fine for plinking but if you want to shoot the eye out of a gnat at 400yds you probably want a different set up. Can you be more specific on use?

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    Thanks all. I'm going to go with the scar. I can put a little money into a trigger set up and have the rifle I really want and i'll save for a month or so and get an optic at that point.

Jake226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bloomington
    You won't regret the 16s....I've had one now for a year and it is really fun to shoot, extremely easy to clean, and as accurate as I can be. Sold my Colt AR to fund the purchase. Haven't put a geissele trigger on it yet but thats next after I pick up a 17s. Come to think of it, my only regret I have is that I haven't been able to buy a 17s to add to the collection.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    Finally made my decision and I know it doesn't count without pics so here you go:rockwoot:And my brother was nice enough to let me use his leupold until I decide to do something else.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom