• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Im heading down to lake monroe tomorrow and I was checking to see if carrying is permitted in the state forest? If it is, is there any place to shoot or can you just set up shop it the woods and fire away?

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I haven't hiked there in 10 years, there was a "safe" zone were you camped. No guns, dogs maybe. There was a sign on the road that stated as such. The rest of the State Forest, carry is ok, even before the state parks allowed.As far as "firing away", you can shoot, I don't know if you shoot 100 rds. in a few minutes how that would play out.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Target ranges are for practice shooting and "firing away".

Hoosier National Forrest is federal property not state and it's main purpose is to provide a timber supply, secondary purposes are hunting, hiking, recreational. Know what is beyond your target. It's not the other people making use of the public property to sure they are safe from any old yahoo that randomly sets up a bottle and starts firing away.

All that aside, pretty much do what ya want.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Safe zones are no hunting zones, not no gun zones. You can CCW. (few exeptions) If you are in a hunting zone you can shoot sparrows, groundhogs, etc with a hunting license.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    ummm...

Hoosier NATIONAL Forest is not a State park; carry is off limits AFAIK until the new law takes effect next year.

Lake Monroe (since it is an Army Corps of Engineers dam/property) is off limits too.

Paynesville (or whatver it's called) State Park which borders the lake is OK.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    ummm...

Hoosier NATIONAL Forest is not a State park; carry is off limits AFAIK until the new law takes effect next year.

Lake Monroe (since it is an Army Corps of Engineers dam/property) is off limits too.

Paynesville (or whatever it's called) State Park which borders the lake is OK.

You CAN carry in National FORESTS, but not, if I understand it correctly, in National PARKS. Why there is a difference, I will never understand, or know where they get the authority to restrict it. You can carry, or shoot in a National Forest, without license.

You can also carry in State Parks, but not a lot of municipal parks.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    If you go down Tower Ridge Road, you must go about 3 or so miles into the forest. Hunter Ridge Road and EAST of that point is OK to shoot, WEST of Hunter Ridge road is DEAM Wilderness and is a NO Shooting area. There is a place south of Tower Ridge Road you can shoot at too. Just make sure you're not in DEAM and 100 yards away from any road/campground/etc and you'll be fine.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    ummm...

Paynesville (or whatver it's called) State Park which borders the lake is OK.

Carry + Shooting IS ok in HNF.

According to the US Army Corps of Engineers, the Dam is "managed" by the Corps, it does not say owns. US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS Does anyone have solid facts that the Corps OWN the land and carry is off limits?

Paynesville? Aka Paynetown? That's nothing more than a recreational area. Not a state park.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    The only time I shot in the HNF is back in the1990's. I took a Taurus m-94 22 with cb long. Shot 100rds, away from the trail into a hill and packed out the empty cases, It was a weekday, I saw no one else. Great fun. Most times I hiked I never shot my gun.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    HNF is National forest and as such is regulated by the USDA. Nat'l Parks are a different deal, not sure who they are regulated by. As to shooting in the HNF, even though no one may say anything to you, it was my impression that any shooting was in relation to the taking of game, and that target shooting wasn't allowed as a rule. Sighting in of firearms and archery equipment was to take place at the ranges provided. Not to say that people don't shoot in the woods. As to carry, to my knowledege there is no restriction and when hiking I often carry, OC or CC.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    A member here has contacted the forest department to find out about target shooting, and as long as you are 100 yards away from roads, recreational areas, etc target shooting is OK. They advise you to shoot into a hill and avoid shooting tree's. *cough* Nate *cough* chime in anytime! : )

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    A member here has contacted the forest department to find out about target shooting, and as long as you are 100 yards away from roads, recreational areas, etc target shooting is OK. They advise you to shoot into a hill and avoid shooting tree's. *cough* Nate *cough* chime in anytime! : )

Sorry about the delay in response, been pretty busy. Yes, HNF is ok to shoot in. The Forest Service only requires target shooting take place 100+ yards from established camp sites, no shooting trees, and no target shooting within the boundaries of the Charles C. Deam Wilderness area. Be safe, establish a back stop by using a hill and BE SURE to know what lay beyond your target. I shoot there all the time when I'm at school. :ingo:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Not to say any one here did or did not, would or would not but I will say SOME ONE sure as heck does and does all the time...

Result of slobs target shooting on the fire trails.

aShootupHNF01.jpg

Note their plastic bottle trash on a stick they shot up in the middle of the trail low left of the tree.
    aShootupHNF04.jpg

aShootupHNF06.jpg

These are just the ones where it was easy to get the fire trail and the stuff they shot up in the same picture. Don't even come close to all the trash cans, bottles, paper target, and every thing else they just don't want to pick back up or carry after they've shot it to pieces.

How would you like to be hiking in or out on that trail when these yahoos open up. Heck how would you just like to be on the next ridge over, it's right on the top of a hill with nothing but air and leaves behind it and I see this all over the place it's not the exception, it's the rule.

Think about it.

Target ranges are for target practice.

When you hear my gun go off in the woods, something died. When you set up for target practice in HNF you better set up like it's your house and your own family on past that target because when you send bullets whizzing past some people's head they don't all come looking for an apology.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Please use a designated range for target practice. Use the HNF for hunting during season. I enjoy being a hiker / backpacker in the HNF. "Firing away" may place people in danger you can not see.
    Thanks

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    In such a case I would crawl down into a creek bed and shoot away from the water supply into a hill. Have fun. Sounds like turtle heaven.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    hnf

Sorry about the delay in response, been pretty busy. Yes, HNF is ok to shoot in. The Forest Service only requires target shooting take place 100+ yards from established camp sites, no shooting trees, and no target shooting within the boundaries of the Charles C. Deam Wilderness area. Be safe, establish a back stop by using a hill and BE SURE to know what lay beyond your target. I shoot there all the time when I'm at school. :ingo:
    so is the power line that runs thru hoosier alright to use for target practice also? after all it is on hoosier property and just a powerline right of way.

Top Bottom