• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I doubt law enforcement is considered a "Non Essential" function. Even if the Federal level LEO's (2 guys?) are laid off, there are still a dozen Indiana CO's overlapping those districts for hunting/trapping/fishing code enforcement. I'm sure some logging contracts and campground maintenence are affected but I doubt there's much change in the laws pertaining to usage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dunno. I think it *MIGHT* be illegal to use the land during a shutdown.

They were talking about the national mall being a national park, and is considered shut down and "closed to the public" until they start up again. If you've never been to DC, its a pretty big detour to walk around since its thousands of feet long and only a hundred and fifty feet wide of sidewalks and grass with the occasional park bench. Why SHOULDNT you be able to walk across it?

In the same breath they also lamented exactly how it would be enforced, as with land with no facilities (much like a forest) really there is no reason to close it.

On paper its probably closed. Not sure if it would be enforced.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Shutdown means little to most Hoosiers in short term | 2013-10-01 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

The Hoosier National Forest will have to furlough most of its staff, said spokeswoman Judi Perez. Still, visitors will have access to most of the forest’s 200,000 acres.

“Because we’re a national forest, we work differently from national parks,” she said. The forest “ will still be there and still be available for public use. We don’t have a way to cut off access. But people will not see our presence here. We’ll just have a few emergency personnel there.”

However, campgrounds with gates will be shuttered, she said.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This is so petty. Because of the shutdown, the .gov actually had to pay some web developer(s) to make changes in order to shut sites down instead of just letting them stay open which would have cost them nothing. I am so tired of the DC show. I hope it gets canceled.

shutdown.jpg

ar1973

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Story ,IN
    Well we live rite in the middle of the HNF and the Nf rangers dont do anything but upkeep and info, for the most part the State Co's do all the enforcement. so no it isnt a lawless land nothing is going to chang in regards to hunting or fishing reg's. so mind ur p's and q's

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Has anyone hunted it this year? Next weekend is our annual trip down there,we do it two weekends a year. Has anyone seen any people camping

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    I have been out there non stop. Saw one hiker and some fishermen lately but thats pretty normal yhis time of year for the areas I frequent. Seems that when it cools down I have it mostly all to myself except for hunting season.
    As far as the shutdown, I was told by a local GS owner that you are allowed to hunt still but you can't park on HNF property. I plan on completey ignoring that bull crap and figure they can run me out if they want.

Top Bottom