• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    "Gone to Texas" is a good read.....Eastwood's movie adaptation is one of hos best!

Lone Watie: I wore this frock coat in Washington, before the war. We wore them because we belonged to the five civilized tribes. We dressed ourselves up like Abraham Lincoln. We only got to see the Secretary of the Interior, and he said: "Boy! You boys sure look civilized.!" he congratulated us and gave us medals for looking so civilized. We told him about how our land had been stolen and our people were dying. When we finished he shook our hands and said, "endeavor to persevere!" They stood us in a line: John Jumper, Chili McIntosh, Buffalo Hump, Jim Buckmark, and me — I am Lone Watie. They took our pictures. And the newspapers said, "Indians vow to endeavor to persevere."
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.
    Just watched that earlier today.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    "Gone to Texas" is a good read.....Eastwood's movie adaptation is one of hos best!

Lone Watie: I wore this frock coat in Washington, before the war. We wore them because we belonged to the five civilized tribes. We dressed ourselves up like Abraham Lincoln. We only got to see the Secretary of the Interior, and he said: "Boy! You boys sure look civilized.!" he congratulated us and gave us medals for looking so civilized. We told him about how our land had been stolen and our people were dying. When we finished he shook our hands and said, "endeavor to persevere!" They stood us in a line: John Jumper, Chili McIntosh, Buffalo Hump, Jim Buckmark, and me — I am Lone Watie. They took our pictures. And the newspapers said, "Indians vow to endeavor to persevere."
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.
    I didn’t surrender but my horse did

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That was a great movie. Been a long time since I’ve seen it though. I vaguely remember the story line.

ETA: I see it’s on prime. Cool.
    Story line synopsis:

Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood) watches helplessly as his wife and child are murdered, by Union men led by Capt. "Red Legs" Terrill (Bill McKinney). Seeking revenge, Wales joins the Confederate Army.

He refuses to surrender when the war ends, but his fellow soldiers go to hand over their weapons and are massacred by Terrill and his men. Wales guns down some of Terrill's men and flees to Texas, where he tries to make a new life for himself, but the bounty on his head endangers him and his new surrogate family.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Story line synopsis:

Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood) watches helplessly as his wife and child are murdered, by Union men led by Capt. "Red Legs" Terrill (Bill McKinney). Seeking revenge, Wales joins the Confederate Army.

He refuses to surrender when the war ends, but his fellow soldiers go to hand over their weapons and are massacred by Terrill and his men. Wales guns down some of Terrill's men and flees to Texas, where he tries to make a new life for himself, but the bounty on his head endangers him and his new surrogate family.
    Oh thanks for the spoiler!

:):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There it is!

I likely would have voted for Lincoln then. I probably would vote him now, but it would depend upon what is going on in the country.
    The nature of federalism was changed in the aftermath of the war. And that was not for the better. I don’t lay that all at the feet of Lincoln. He did a lot of evil during the war. He was a bit of a tyrant, but It’s war. We never saw a peacetime President Lincoln. He may not have been a tyrant int he peace.

The permanent shift to a more powerful federal government happened after the war. Had Lincoln not been assassinated, that might not have happened. His writings intimating his plans for reuniting the country sound like they were less central government focused than what actually happened. But who knows.

Bottom line for me, Lincoln was more meh than great. I don’t think Lincoln deserves the adoration he gets as if he single handedly ended slavery. 620000 Americans would disagree that it was all him.

I don’t give him high marks for his presidency. He presided over tumultuous times, which mitigates the evil, but much of which was of his own making. Though he doesn’t deserve the hatred he gets from people who only look at one side of history.

I can’t help but wonder what a better statesman could have done. Maybe someone who wasn’t a lawyer. :): I came away thinking less of him after reading his memoirs. Not hating, but just less impressed than the grade school veneration students are taught. He was just a man, flawed as any, who made some pretty ****ed up decisions here and there, which had consequences.

Top Bottom