• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    So, among other things lemme get this straight...

When doing a report on material (Common Core style), the students are encouraged to cite the source from the material itself in sort of an infinite loop? Wouldn't that be like doing a report on Wikipedia by only citing Wikipedia as your resource??

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have mentioned this multiple times when it has been discussed here on INGO.

It bears mentioning again that the standards were not "state-led" as the NGA is a trade association. It would be the equivalent of the National Assoc'n of REALTORS coming up with standards that are made law by executive fiat. There is ZERO input from the people or their representatives.

Common Core was also adopted in Indiana without public input.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    So, among other things lemme get this straight...

When doing a report on material (Common Core style), the students are encouraged to cite the source from the material itself in sort of an infinite loop? Wouldn't that be like doing a report on Wikipedia by only citing Wikipedia as your resource??

We have the same thing on here. A few people talk about how great their current politician du jour is and reference the lackeys regurgitating the talking points as the proof source.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    If you the parent teach your children to investigate for themselves and question nearly everything they hear or see as I have done you will have nothing to fear from common core, or other forms of liberal indoctrination .

the bigger problem is too many parents let others raise there children almost entirely and have little input, at that point I suppose the child would be prone to brainwashing.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you the parent teach your children to investigate for themselves and question nearly everything they hear or see as I have done you will have nothing to fear from common core, or other forms of liberal indoctrination .
    I only wish that were true. Aside from the fact that it is rather difficult to spend the 4-5 hours you have with your kid AFTER school undoing the 6-8 (or more) hours the system had him during school, the bigger question is why would you want to have to worry about undoing it at all? The CC standards are not better standards. Frankly, they suck.

2. Mediocre quality – The Standards, which are intended to prepare students for nonselective community colleges rather than four-year universities, are inferior to those of some states and no better than those of many others. Common Core’s English language arts standards consist of empty skill sets that, once implemented, might not require reading skills any higher than middle-school level. Furthermore, their de-emphasis of the study of classic literature in favor of “informational texts” would abandon the goal of truly educating students, focusing instead on training them for static jobs. Among the many deficiencies of the mathematics standards is their placement of algebra I in grade 9 rather than grade 8, thus ensuring that most students will not reach calculus in high school, and their mandate to teach geometry according to an experimental method never used successfully anywhere in the world. Contrary to previous claims by their creators, the Standards are not “internationally benchmarked.”

Dr. Sandra Stotsky of the University of Arkansas, a member of Common Core’s Validation Committee who refused to sign off on the Standards, criticizes the ELA standards as “empty skill sets . . . [that] weaken the basis of literary and cultural knowledge needed for authentic college coursework.” Common Core’s focus on skill sets rather than true content is unlikely to genuinely educate students in English, reading, rhetoric, or composition.

University English professors are beginning to recognize and express concern about the educational philosophy represented by the Common Core ELA standards.48 Dr. Anthony Esolen of Providence College, for example, has urged one state legislature to reject Common Core’s attempts to diminish our children’s literary heritage:
    [W]hat appalls me most about the [Common Core] standards . . . is the cavalier contempt for great works of human art and thought, in literary form. It is a sheer ignorance of the life of the imagination. We are not programming machines. We are teaching children. We are not producing functionaries, factory-like. We are to be forming the minds and hearts of men and women. . . . Frankly, I do not wish to be governed by people whose minds and hearts have been stunted by a strictly utilitarian miseducation. . . . Do not train them to become apparatchiks in a vast political and economic system, but raise them to be human beings, honoring what is good and right, cherishing what is beautiful, and pledging themselves to their families, their communities, their churches, and their country.​

Mathematics Professor R. James Milgram of Stanford University, the only mathematician on the Validation Committee, concluded that the mathematics standards would put students two years behind those of many high-achieving countries, such as those in East Asia. Dr. Milgram thus refused tosign off on the math standards.

These are all from "Controlling Education From the Top: Why Common Core is Bad for America" by Emmett McGroarty and Jane Robbins. The only editing I have done is formatting them (2-column printing doesn't c/p well to the forum).

We are going to home school our kids, but that?s only because we hate education | The Matt Walsh Blog

Why as a parent would you want to fight a bureaucracy intent on telling your children what to think under the guise of receiving a sub-standard (pardon the pun) education?

Top Bottom