• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So this guy is getting breaking & entering, attempted murder plus whatever intention/conspiracy charges they can cook up with the zipties and radio, right? I can't imagine he won't go to prison for a long time.
    The cynic in me says: zipties and radio will be forgotten. B&E will be plead down to a misdemeanor. Attempted Murder plead down to the lowest felony assault. Consecutive sentences. Maybe 5 years? Then, back in police custody within a few months of release. Rinse. Repeat.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The cynic in me says: zipties and radio will be forgotten. B&E will be plead down to a misdemeanor. Attempted Murder plead down to the lowest felony assault. Consecutive sentences. Maybe 5 years? Then, back in police custody within a few months of release. Rinse. Repeat.
    I'm thinking the zip ties and radio are being investigated for other related crimes. I'm going to be surprised if more doesn't come out of this one.
    As far as sentencing goes...I hope you're wrong on the 5 years. This guy was serious about intent here.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I wonder when something like this happens, does the victim get taken downtown for blood draws, interrogation, clothes change, etc. even though it was self defense?

I watched a show the other night and a guy killed a guy that came in his house.......man, they treated him like a criminal for defending his home. It was in Colorado though. Just curious what protocol is here.

Good question. Any of our resident LEOs help us out here?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The one thing that keeps coming to my mind is, "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away." And this is why I carry in my house.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I agree. Not sure where the shots hit or whether hollow points would have helped, but I'm assuming having better SD ammo wouldn't have hurt.
    SD ammo does more damage as a rule BUT...her ammo did the job. It stopped the intruder and kept her and her family safe.
    Good on her. Sorry this type of thing is necessary in our world.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Of course somebody puts 7 rounds into a perp and INGO members whine that the perp didn't die.

She stopped the threat.

Good gal won. Bad guy lost.

Happy ending.

Why are people hanging up on bullet selection (or even shot placement, I mean if she landed 7 hits...) and not the really important thing: Shannon Watts says this never happens???

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder when something like this happens, does the victim get taken downtown for blood draws, interrogation, clothes change, etc. even though it was self defense?

I watched a show the other night and a guy killed a guy that came in his house.......man, they treated him like a criminal for defending his home. It was in Colorado though. Just curious what protocol is here.

It depends. Is the shoot questionable? Are there other witnesses? Is there video? Did you initial statement to officers or 911 make sense? Are you stumbling drunk? Are you holding a few grams of crack in your pocket?

On the least intrusive side, I've responded to an incident were an employee shot a robber in the back of the head while the robber was threatening another clerk at gunpoint. The evidence available on scene was so compelling that it was a good shoot the shooter was never transported anywhere, told he could give a voluntary statement if he wanted to but he wasn't in custody and no Miranda was read, the only thing collected was the gun used in the shooting.

On the most intrusive side, I've responded (as a uniformed officer for this one) to a dope man who shot a rival dope man. Dope man the shooter turned himself in and still had crack and marijuana in his pockets, was a felon, was intoxicated...etc. He went to jail, although eventually the actual shooting part was determined to be self defense (-ish).

7 times? That's going to screw up BBI's stats.

Sounds like it still did the job.

Heh, it might. Assuming it's random and qualifies for the stat book, it's going to be tough to figure which shot resolved the situation. I'm on vacation and haven't seen anything about this yet, but will figure there's no surveillance video to see when the guy starts to go down or flee or whatever. There was the guy who shot the bad guy 11 times but video showed the 1st shot disabled the bad guy's gun and then hit the bad guy in the guts. The 1st shot resolved it, the next 10 were just punctuating it. Note, good shoot, no way the good guy could have known that in real time with his obstructed view. Maybe if some shots are in the back as the guy spun or ??? I dunno, 9mm FMJ probably created through-and-through on limb shots at least, maybe torso shots depending on how big the guy is. It may end up being a range or a pure unknown. I'll have to talk to the lead detective and see, plus how many the bad guy shot, etc.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Zip ties....walkie talkie?Yes, serious intentions. At best, she(and her family?) would have ended up tied up while they ransacked the place...Worst case, dead bodies, zip tied...and shot in the back of the head....after who knows what was done.Interesting.More guns than a ruger factory...lol.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks BBI. That makes sense. In the case I mentioned the guy shot his best friend who was playing a joke on him. Had a mask on and was pretending to rob the guy and he got killed.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This was 3 or 4 houses down from my Dad (about a mile from me). My Dad called and told me about it a little after 3:00 and was telling me about the shooting (he's good friends with the family, having spent a lot of time with the husband, Matt, as he was growing up). He said he wanted to let me know about the good shoot "in our backyard". I know the husband, but haven't met his wife, Harley I believe her name is. I was very glad to hear that she came out on top in this incident. The article and policeman interviewed were right, this is normally a pretty quite area, so it's unusual for something like this to happen. I know I feel even more justified always carrying or having a gun near to hand when I'm at home now!

Any word on whether she was carrying or not? Doesn't sound like there was much time to retrieve a stored firearm.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom