• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Although I cannot speak from experience, I believe there is a bit more DIY to building a AK. Building a AR style rifle can be put together with a few tools, and doesn't require pressing barrels or riveting as does a AK. :twocents:

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I've built both---which is cheaper?---probably an AK if you can still find kits for a reasonable price. current receiver prices are around $100 and US parts will cost another $75 to $100. The cheapest I can build an AR for is about $600 to $625.

AK's require a bit more work and a little more "gunsmith knowledge" also.
    Back when you could get romanian kits for $99 and Polish underfolder kits for $200 it was a "no brainer" but now the math is a little closer as kits now are bringing $300 or more I believe.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    you will need a receiver, kit and six U.S. made parts. most guys use hts, pistol grip, muzzle brake and receiver for compliance parts. Kits require work removing old receiver parts and rivets(dremel tool, drill press) and barrel pin and barrel have to be pressed out of trunion(12 ton press)---rear trunion, trigger guard and front trunion are all riveted into new receiver(special rivet tools needed one is made from 24in bolt cutter) then barrel is pressed back into the front trunion and barrel pin is pressed back in. sounds simple in this explanation but there are issues with barrel alignment,headspace,riveting rear trunion. getting barrel pin out(some have to be drilled) finishes won't match and so on.

If you want more info go to akfiles and read. also do search for ak building tips etc.
    bottom line---Ar's are a piece of cake compared to an AK build.

Steve

gunfun101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    You can still find kits for under $200 and if you buy a reciever flat and bend it yourself you can get it for around $50.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    You can still find kits for under $200 and if you buy a reciever flat and bend it yourself you can get it for around $50
    This is another way to go but you will need a spot welder for the rails and the jigs to bend the flat. I never liked this route because the flats are not heat treated and subject to elongation of the pin holes if shot a lot.

Steve

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    This is another way to go but you will need a spot welder for the rails and the jigs to bend the flat. I never liked this route because the flats are not heat treated and subject to elongation of the pin holes if shot a lot.

Steve

Many will solve this by heat treating the rivet holes with a torch and a bucket of oil. Does not treat the entire receiver, but the holes are what matter most.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana

Steve

BUT, you can do the heat treating yourself. Poke around online and you'll find a ton of info. There are some really good how to's if you search a bit.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    BUT, you can do the heat treating yourself. Poke around online and you'll find a ton of info. There are some really good how to's if you search a bit.

Oops, sorry, should read everything before posting. As an aside though, it's the flexibility of the receiver that adds to the strength of the weapon. You want certain areas to be hardened, but don't go overboard. Rivets, rails, mag well area should be hardened. Leave the rest alone. :twocents:

Top Bottom