• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have been looking at putting in some cameras around the home that are IP addressable. I guess this thread is just to get more information about it. Do i need my own website? a dedicated router? How do i log on to view the stuff or add security to it so no one else can see it? whats a good price to expect for a 4 or 6 camera system?

As for the alarm, everthing has been installed by ADT years ago but not activated since i have lived there. I would like some sort of system that can use as much as i can thats already there but be possibly PC based or something that lets me set the parameters of the system and isnt just a simple on off deal.

anybody got any links to places where i can go learn about these things?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've done all mine myself, got B/W cameras for like $10 each. The DVR is supposedly accessible via IP, but I haven't messed with that. Mostly, I just record everything and I can look at the monitor if I hear an unusual noise. Currently have 9 cameras; looking to add a couple and move one. Most people consider paranoia to be a liability. Used right, it can be a powerful tool.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There is a HUGE difference in the capabilities of the camera quality.

Do NOT buy a camera that is below these specs:
    700 TVL resolution
    Auto Iris
    1/3" CCD lens or greater
    Sony EFFIO chipset (look for the EFFIO)

I prefer IR/Color dual mode camera. That also gives you night vision. Buy some extra IR illuminators. No matter what range the camera/illuminator claims you can 'see' at night, divide the claim by 2 because you will only get 1/2 the effective range. So a 60' illuminator is good for no more than 30 feet.

Most (seriously 90% of the stuff on the market) is junk.

The above is specs are for LOW END commercial or GOOD (not great) consumer grade equipment. The difference between 420 and 540 TVL resolution is astounding. The difference between 540 TVL and 700 TVL is astonishing. And when you compare the 700 TVL picture to your modern TV set you will realize how bad 700 TVL really is.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have a guy that is going to get me the camera stuff for cost and help me install it and set it up, but i am not sure if the quote is including everything i want.

here it is as its typed off my quote sheet.

4ch eco dvr w/ audio 300 dollars
    mini wthr resist IR 540 TVL 3.4mm lens-WH 105 dollars each
    4 output cctv 12vdc p 5 amp enclosure-L 54 dollars

all said and done it comes out to be around 953 dollars, but i dont think that includes him setting me up with a user programable alarm so i am a tad confused on the quote. when i first started talking to him he made it sound like i could do a 4 camera remote viewable system w/ a programable alarm for less than 800. it sounds now like its going to be almost a grand not including reworking my existing alarm system.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    here it is as its typed off my quote sheet.

4ch eco dvr w/ audio 300 dollars
    mini wthr resist IR 540 TVL 3.4mm lens-WH 105 dollars each
    4 output cctv 12vdc p 5 amp enclosure-L 54 dollars

The cameras SUCK. And if that is cost then your friend is being way over charged. At best those are $39 to $49 cameras! They are 2 GENERATIONS out of date. You can get 700 TVL weatherproof/vandal resistant domes from Amazon.com for $92 => [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Exview-Effio-E-Devices-Security/dp/B0056NV7TE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1337446053&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Professional 1/3" Sony Exview HAD CCD II with Effio-E DSP Devices Dome Indoor Security Camera - 700 TV lines, 2.8~12mm varifocal lens, 36pcs IR LED, 98 feet IR Distance. Vandalproof. WDR (Wide Dynamic Range). OSD Menu. Great Image, Great [/ame]

-- or --

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Vision-Security-Surveillance-Warning/dp/B0014D06IS/ref=pd_sim_p_2[/ame]

I paid $350 for a 8 channel DVR with a 1 Terabyte HD recently when I put in another system out at my workshop. It has 5 cameras hooked up to it and should be able to store 30+ days of video from each camera. Watch the FRAME RATE of your DVR, you need it to be able to kick up to 30 frames per second when it detects motion, anything less and you will have skipping images.

Its easy to buy a video system and the worst thing is that most video systems really suck. What you see on the monitor is basically live view and that is MUCH BETTER on most DVRs than what you get when you play back the video.

At 20' away from a 540TVL camera it is virtually impossible to positively ID someone standing still in front of the camera. Seriously. You may get good views of your lawn or shrubs but if you try to get a positive ID of the guy who is breaking into your truck parked in your driveway then you are in for a bitter disappointment. 1/2 of the resolution problem is your camera, the other 1/2 is your DVR recording quality/resolution/frame rate.

All that said, I am NOT advocating spending big bucks on a basic 4 camera system, but honestly what you are looking at is garbage. You will replace it and end up spending far more than I spent. My 5 camera system at my workshop is probably right at $350 for the 8 channel 1 terabyte DVR, $100 (each) for 4 cameras ($400 total), plus $250 for 1 long range/high quality camera, and about $70 for the power supply (8amp, 8 output). Plus wiring. The expensive $250 camera was purchased for a special application and its vastly superior to the other cameras and does what I wanted it to do.

I strongly recommend VANDAL RESISTENT DOME cameras, they are easy to mount, and its impossible for idiots to poke them with a stick to change where they aim. Regular cameras on gimbal mounts are subject to be smacked, the camera may still work but it will be pointed at the wall, the ground, or anywhere that it should not be needed!

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'd note there are people on this forum that do this stuff for a living. Maybe some of them will chip in with some additional advice.

If you want really good stuff, go for BOSCH cameras, or VITEK is pretty good, there are Video IQ cameras that identify people in the fog that cannot be seen or that read heat signatures. There are cameras that don't need IR to see at night too. But the costs of those cameras starts at $350 and many got well into the thousands or even tens of thousands.

My credentials on all this is from the user standpoint/uber geek. I've been playing with surveillance video camera systems for roughly 20 years, mostly with commercial systems but I have 2 systems on my property, one at my workshop, the other at my house, both are linked together by an ethernet cable so I can view either from my home computers, iPhone, iPad, etc. I've installed some of my stuff. I'm pretty geeky about it. I have a friend who owns a video surveillance company and he has used me as a test dummy a couple times so I've gotten to play with some really nice equipment. I buy my stuff from him, typically at 'cost'.

I'm a HUGE advocate of doubling or tripling your night viewing effectiveness by installing some IR flood lights to bolster the views of your cameras at night. I also recommend (from experience) crossing your images so you get fewer unprotected spots. Also, buy a bigger DVR than you think you need. If you want a 4 channel then buy 8, but if you want an 8 channel you probably need 16. Seriously you won't realize how much you are missing until you set up a basic system and see what it WON'T do, then you will expand it. So if you really want 4 cameras I'd bet that before you are done you'll end up with 8. It just seems to work out that way.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    What are the function of the DVR besides storage? Is it the part that relays the information to the tv screen? Is it what puts the information out on the IP? Does it offer security so joe smo cant see what i am recording? does it do the file compressing? Whats a good bang for the buck brand? I would like it to have the ability to self delete so its a hands free system once its up and running.

I like the terabyte idea, and i can see where going with the 8 channel would be wise.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    DVR does store the data but it also is the guts of the whole system. So it will be what you connect to your network so you can see it from inside (or if you wish) outside your home.

But it also allows you to do a lot with the cameras. For example you can mask out areas of the image so it doesn't record movement in those areas unless there is also movement in another area. For example if you have a camera pointed down your driveway you really don't want to record every car that drives down your street at the end of your driveway, but you do want to record everything that comes into your driveway. So you mask out the road but not the drive. Then if someone pulls into your drive it records everything but if someone is simply driving past then it doesn't bother to record that as an event.

Your DVR can also be used as an alarm trigger and connected to your alarm so if something happens inside one of the unmasked areas of one of your cameras it can send a signal to your alarm, which can then turn on a light or call the police or do whatever you need/want it to do.

The DVR also controls the contrast, brightness, etc of the camera. It can also be set to record AFTER events stop happening, or BEFORE events start. (remember its always seeing, but it won't bother to save everything).

There are probably a few dozen things I've not thought of, but think of a DVR like you think of a GPS, there are a lot of functions it has, many of which you never will use.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just snapped a couple photos, will post much later (have to leave now).

The power supply specs I gave earlier are wrong. Its not 8 channel, 8 amp, it is in fact 8 channel 13 amp. That helps power those high power IR illuminators. But most IR dome cameras only draw about 1/2 to 1 amp. I can find no brand name on the power supply.

The DVR has no brand name but it does have some writing on the front panel. Upper right hand corner it reads: H.264 DVR and then under than it reads: Full D1

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Ok.. I used to be a thief 17 yrs ago.. I am VERY security minded.. allow me to convey some expertise here...

I have a WIRED DSC panel in my home.. it's a "power 1616"... kind of a basic system.. but the way I instructed the installer to do the work, I am VERY well protected. I have 2 wired door contacts and 3 motion detectors. Nothing more besides the keypad and siren (My wife asked for a small key fob so she can arm and disarm it without using the keypad).. the keypad that I have is a hybrid that is wired to the alarm but also is a transceiver for additional DSC wireless devices (such as smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, water detection in case my basement floods, exterior motions, wireless sirens, garage door contacts.. the list is endless)... All installed and monitored. No contract. I paid the guy for equipment and install and it's mine. I own it. I have also reprogrammed it the way I want it.

I also got an additional piece of equipment for monitoring. I do not have telephone service and have no GSM backup (although cell backup, GSM, is a good idea).. I use my internet connection for monitoring. I got this piece called a broadband alarm transmitter ( LINKY ) .. this allows me to use my phone to arm, disarm, bypass zones, monitor system status, look at entry, exit, and alarm logs etc.. all from my android device. Further, it can send me text messages and emails as well. This piece is connected to my internet and my alarm panel. Very slick piece.

I paid one time for monitoring as well. The monitoring is $120 for the year. One payment, good for the whole year. Again, no contract. This is the best way to do home security IMO. If you can put together a video walkthrough of your house and exterior I will offer my advice as to what components and where for security.

For cameras... let's begin with this link:

Foscam interior wireless IP cameras

Foscam Exterior wireless IP cameras

Now.. you can get these cameras (I'm going to get 2 interior and 2 exterior.. those will suit my needs perfectly) and set them up to record when they detect motion.. they are very customizable. You can control pan/tilt/zoom with them from any web connected computer or cellular device. There is also an android app you can get to "arm" the cameras and control them via an app.

Now you need somewhere OFF SITE to record the video..
    Allow me to introduce Sensr.net .. I linked you to the page that has their pricing plans.. as you will note, their "free" plan offers 3 days of recording history and unlimited cameras.. You can watch live or whatever you want. 3 days is plenty of history for most folks to determine if something happened.. if you come home and your stuff is gone, hit up the web and find out who did it. If you're going on vacation, upgrade to the better package.

The reason you want off site storage is because if I come in your house to grab your stuff and I grab your computers (that your cameras are hooked to) or the DVR the I grabbed evidence of my being there.

This is the best advice I can give for now.. I've been installing in cars for almost 20 yrs. alarms, audio, remote starts, etc.. I have installed tons of home theater stuff, fished walls w/ wiring, installed satellite etc.. and This is the approach that I took.

I have a 60" plasma sitting in the middle of my living room wall without a cord in sight. Laptops on each end of the couch for my wife and myself. Flat panel in my bedroom and my sons room. TONS of electronics and goodies and this is how I chose to protect my home.

hit me up if I can be of further assistance.

DM1975

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I know of at least one well known Internet/cable/phone provider that you can buy static ip's from for stuff like this. I installed one the other day and the only reason they switched from te other provider was because we offers static ip's and they needed them for the security system they had.

I am not a fan at all of wireless security systems. Wthr did a story on how easy it is for outside people to view the images from the wireless baby monitors. I know people can listen in on wireless home phones if they know what they are doing, know the same is true from what a trusted source or two has said.

Kinda like hacking a wifi Internet compared to one that is all LAN lined.

Like above all wires in my house are in the walls.

Top Bottom