Home Remedy for Neck Spasms (Torticollis)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Last night I was unable to sleep at all due to a severe pain on the right side of my neck at the base of my skull. It turned into a shooting pain and I was unable to find any comfortable position to rest my head. This morning I took three Ibuprofen and went to work hoping it would just go away over time and that was a big mistake. After a few "wrong" twists and turns it turned from severe pain into unbearable pain and I ended up at the Med Check off of Franklin and Washington St. The staff were great and took care of me right away. They gave me some muscle relaxer in the form of a shot and then the doctor prescribed me 5mg pills of Valium and 500mg pills of Naproxen for pain. I'm only supposed to take 1 Valium pill every 8 hours and 1 Naproxen every 12 hours.

After I got the prescriptions filled I went home and was able to pass out for two hours before I woke up feeling just as bad as I was before seeing the doctor and I'm still several hours away from being able to take the the next dosage of drugs.

Is there anybody who has dealt with this before using a home remedy? Something to relieve the pain and pressure besides a hot pad on the neck every two hours? I'm going to go see my family doctor tomorrow since they couldn't see me today but the pain is almost unbearable and it's driving me up the walls.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Depends on if it's just spasms or a pinched nerve.

For spasms, alternate hot and cold. 5 or 10 minutes of each.
    Heating pad alternated with something frozen in a towel.

Pinched nerve, you are probably going to have to see someone. (I have one, a pinched nerve, not a someone.)

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have had bad neck pain for the last 11 years after being smashed between 2 semi trucks on a highway, besides medication I found that using ThermaCare neck wraps on my neck when I went to bed usually has good results. It takes a little getting used to, since it releases a deep heat (not the same as a chemical burn/heat that you get from using different types of jells/cream) that last for a good 8 hours.

Neck, Wrist & Shoulder | ThermaCare®

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Drugs!
    Skelaxin
    Skelaxin information from Drugs.com

I had this once and "home remedies" and PT were ok but until I got some release they were of little help.
    Skelaxin doesn't knock you out like other muscle relaxers and while it doesn't erase the problem completely, I'm telling you, for acute problems you will be greatly relieved.

Some people respond well to ice therapy (cold pack) much better than heat (everyone's different though).
    But what you really need is a purty girl lightly stroking your neck (but still with the drug) telling you every thing is going to be alright.
    (your wife will do if married, I suppose).

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Sam+Yoga sounds absolutely hilarious! We need video!
    I'll set up the live web-cam session later. :naughty: :laugh:
    Depends on if it's just spasms or a pinched nerve.

For spasms, alternate hot and cold. 5 or 10 minutes of each.
    Heating pad alternated with something frozen in a towel.

Pinched nerve, you are probably going to have to see someone. (I have one, a pinched nerve, not a someone.)
    Ok. Thanks. I've been alternating a hot towel on my neck and a bag of frozen blueberries wrapped in a shirt for the past couple hours and I've had no relief. Hopefully my family doc can send me somewhere to get fixed up.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Go to the nearest ER and tell them of your excruciating neck pain and that you're allergic to toradol, ibuprofen, tylenol, hydrocodone, oxycodone, and morphine (they all cause severe anaphalactic shock after all) and the only thing that works for pain is something that starts with a D.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I have had bad neck pain for the last 11 years after being smashed between 2 semi trucks on a highway, besides medication I found that using ThermaCare neck wraps on my neck when I went to bed usually has good results. It takes a little getting used to, since it releases a deep heat (not the same as a chemical burn/heat that you get from using different types of jells/cream) that last for a good 8 hours.

Neck, Wrist & Shoulder | ThermaCare®
    It's on my list for my trip to CVS here in a few minutes. Thanks!
    Drugs!
    Skelaxin
    Skelaxin information from Drugs.com

I had this once and "home remedies" and PT were ok but until I got some release they were of little help.
    Skelaxin doesn't knock you out like other muscle relaxers and while it doesn't erase the problem completely, I'm telling you, for acute problems you will be greatly relieved.

Some people respond well to ice therapy (cold pack) much better than heat (everyone's different though).
    But what you really need is a purty girl lightly stroking your neck (but still with the drug) telling you every thing is going to be alright.
    (your wife will do if married, I suppose).
    This wife thing you speak of, is it over the counter?

Go to the nearest ER and tell them of your excruciating neck pain and that you're allergic to toradol, ibuprofen, tylenol, hydrocodone, oxycodone, and morphine (they all cause severe anaphalactic shock after all) and the only thing that works for pain is something that starts with a D.
    :scratch: I'm missing something.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You're not missing anything, forgop is just a jaded healthcare employee :)

Muscle strains aren't pleasant, and they don't get better quickly. Valium is my favorite medication. Google dosing guidelines and you may find some more room in how you're doing it. I agree with a pretty girl rubbing your neck, heat, stretching (i guess we'll give that to Kirk, but without the leotard). Also change position frequently, strained muscles like to cramp if sitting still.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    It's on my list for my trip to CVS here in a few minutes. Thanks!

This wife thing you speak of, is it over the counter?

:scratch: I'm missing something.

he's setting you up. This is what drug seakers do. The D drug is Demerol. Toticollis is a condition where the sternoclidiomastoid muscle spasms, which causes you neck to one side and you can't turn your head to the normal strait forward position. Is this what you are having? If so, a Botox injection would help.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I had a similar problem once that was so severe I thought my neck was going to rip apart. I couldn't drive and was panicking from the pain and lack of control. I think it was caused from sitting in the "thinker" position for too long at my desk. Muscle relaxers did nothing, and docs weren't helpful. It went away after about 8 hours though I think.

Advanced Physical Therapist - Neck Pain

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy

Who says I am jaded? I just happen to have severe neck pain, DJD, restless leg syndrome, chronic lower back pain, fibromyalgia, COPD, and Type II diabetes. Yes, I still smoke, wear 2L of O2, and I won't go on any kind of a diet either.

And I can't stop vomiting either...phenergen is the only thing that works for my nausea as I nearly died when I was given zofran. Darn my luck anyway.

Come on doc, HEAL ME. ;)

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    he's setting you up. This is what drug seakers do. The D drug is Demerol. Toticollis is a condition where the sternoclidiomastoid muscle spasms, which causes you neck to one side and you can't turn your head to the normal strait forward position. Is this what you are having? If so, a Botox injection would help.

Dil...dilada...something like that.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL

Muscle strains aren't pleasant, and they don't get better quickly. Valium is my favorite medication. Google dosing guidelines and you may find some more room in how you're doing it. I agree with a pretty girl rubbing your neck, heat, stretching (i guess we'll give that to Kirk, but without the leotard). Also change position frequently, strained muscles like to cramp if sitting still.
    Ok, thanks HDoc. Sitting still is one thing I have been doing so I'll try some slow neck rolls every now and then if I can. I got some of those Thermacare heat wraps and they make it easier to alternate cold and hot if nothing else.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Torticollis is what the Med Check doctor diagnosed me with. I don't know if she's spot on or not but she knows more than me about what's going on. I'm seeing my family Doc tomorrow and hopefully she'll be able to elaborate more.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Have you actually been diagnosed with torticollis? I have nothing to say, I'm just curious :D

torticollis.jpg

I hope you feel better soon. Also, ignore hoosierdoc and do EXACTLY as forgop says!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom