• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would like to set up a small range in my home. .22 only, just to pass the time away. I am familiar with the ballistics and whatnot, I know ventilation is a plus.... I know it has been done, I know it works; my question is if it is illegal within city limits? I know that the discharge of a firearm within the city limits is no good; but the discharge in your home should be a different standard. I have cleared it with my neighbors, fine, but does the law stating no discharge apply to a home? I would like to shoot in my basement within the schitty.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Don't ask, don't tell.

What is a schitty? I hope you are not referring to a bathroom with a commode....I'd be worried about bullet strikes on porcelain fixtures.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Oh, I thought he was talking about shooting in a certain room in his house.:dunno:

What schitty, I mean city do you suppose he lives in?:): Or do you suppose it is a schitty city.....

I still think don't ask, don't tell is appropriate.

Sure it is an Ordinance violation but who is going to detect the violation and write the ticket? In 12 years of LEO'ing in a schitty city, I NEVER wrote under the minor City Ordinance. The charges were always the IC under Criminal Recklessness with a firearm because the offense called for it and the penalties are more appropiate for the offense. In any major schitty city, Officers are too busy taking care of schitty radio runs and writing up afterwards to bother with a otherwise law abiding schitty citizen shooting a 22 in his basement within the schitty limits.

Sure it is illegal. But if the schitty cop rings your doorbell, stop shooting before you come to the front door, deny everything, and don't allow him entrance without a warrant. Just don't be cookin' meth in your schitty house at the same time. All bets are off then.......

Last edited:

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I would kinda think what you do inside your house is no one's business but yours. :D That would be cool to have a range in your house.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Your house or not, if it's illegal to discharge within city limits, it's illegal in your home, too.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I just googled and didnt find anything saying it was illegal so if the law is silent on the issue that makes it legal.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    How big is your basement?
    I have done some spot shooting with .22s and shot shells that was at 18'.
    I had a hard time getting the sights to set so close.

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    If it's a city ordinance making the ban, it would depend exactly on the wording of that ordinance. My bet is it's illegal. Whether or not you can get away with it pretty much depends on if someone outside your house can hear the gun shots. I'd like to think that most people out walking their dog would call the cops if they heard 10 gunshots come from my house and no warrant would be needed for entry.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I would throw some money in the budget for soundproofing. Places like Sweetwater, that deal with the recording industry will have all sorts of soundproofing material!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would throw some money in the budget for soundproofing. Places like Sweetwater, that deal with the recording industry will have all sorts of soundproofing material!

Why not just invest in a suppressor?:): Then you have a reason for more cool gun stuff.

Have to agree with the idea of airguns for indoor shooting. No noise to worry about and be a lot easier for ventilation and a backstop construction.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    my first experience shooting a gun was at 5 or 6 years old in my grandfather's basement near garfield park. we would shoot a 22 pistol into a steel trap at about 30ft. i can't imagine he'd do it if there was an ordinance against it, but you never know, he was his own man...

Top Bottom