• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    My annual premium is about to roll around again and I'm paying out the ass for home owners due to the age of my house. Basically my house is deeded from 1920 and I can't seem to find an insurance company that charges a fair rate. My house appraised for 130k and I pay triple what my parents pay for a 250k home.
    I have 0 claims and it seems to go up every year. I'm currently with Farm Bureau and I have contacted most the major insurance providers and was declined due to the age of my house. My house was completely gutted in 02 and everything brought up to code. If anyone knows a company out there please point me in there direction.
    Thanks in advance

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    Do you have a fire hydrant within a mile and do you live in a town with a volunteer fire department or one with a manned station? I just bought a house in September and my quote doubled when they found out that the nearest hydrant was almost 2 miles away and the fire department was volunteer and the station was typically unmanned.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Do you have a fire hydrant within a mile and do you live in a town with a volunteer fire department or one with a manned station? I just bought a house in September and my quote doubled when they found out that the nearest hydrant was almost 2 miles away and the fire department was volunteer and the station was typically unmanned.

As he alluded to: It may very well not have anything to do with the age of your house at all.

Have you bothered to get quotes from other companies? And then ASK them to explain the rate quoted?

Also - there's more to insurance than just the value of the home. Also taken into account are the liability amounts and the insurance on the contents.

-J-

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    There is a fire hydrant in my neighbors yard roughly 75 yards away and 2 fire stations one less than 1/2 mile from my house the other maybe 3 miles . The problem is I can't even get a quote every company I talk to says they won't insure a home that old.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I have my home insured with Amica. Worth a shot to see if they'll give you a quote if you haven't tried them yet. Only reason I mention them is that I had never heard of them until a friend referred me a year and a half ago. My previous company jacked the rates up like 40% in two years. Amica raised my rate at the first renewal but not as bad.

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    There is a fire hydrant in my neighbors yard roughly 75 yards away and 2 fire stations one less than 1/2 mile from my house the other maybe 3 miles . The problem is I can't even get a quote every company I talk to says they won't insure a home that old.

Well then I'm out of ideas because I'm a new homeowner and my home is 9yrs old but I had a local company write my insurance and they did my auto and home through Western Reserve. Might be worth a phone call

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    No problem insuring my 1918 school house with Erie Insurance, although we are looking to switch to Farmers or State Farm due to the dog. I've never had an issue receiving a quote from an agency due to how old our place is.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My clients have had no problem insuring their 1840s home. And nearly every home in certain sections of down town Indy are 1920s and '30s. Something else is the reason.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Have you talked to any local independent agents? They can do the shopping around for you and try to get you a deal. Also if you go with your house and car insurance through the same company they give pretty big discounts.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Thanks for the referals I think I'm going to sit down with the phone book today. Maybe I don't have a legit complaint is $1400 annually high for a basic policy, homes insured for 145K contents for 150K. No dogs pools or weird add on's.
    Progressive declined due to age
    All State declined due to age
    State Farm $1400
    Farm Bureau $1400 "Current provider"

Top Bottom