• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Sure have. Down right exotic too. Much cheaper and better to build than buy. SS and inconel door and hinges so a cutting torch won't get it. Unless someone has a whole lot of time and the know how they ain't getting into it without explosives. Sorry but not posting pics though. IMO if you want to build one just use your imagination and then go to work. Fun project.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Home made safe I'd assume would be best kept secret. This does sound like a great idea, but probably something you'd be hard pressed to get people to share with the world on an internet forum:n00b:?

You -"Hey can I look at your secret home bulit safe?"
    Me - "Um no then it wouldn't be a secret..."

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Mine is a bit of "recycled engineering", made largely from something that is not as hard to get into as a normal safe, but still very hard, and hidden in plain sight. I only have about $200 in it.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Well I'm not going to do that, seeing how it's disguised as something else. But I'm interested in seeing ones that are not. You know, ones that are made to look like one. But I will post a pic of the inside of it when I get home and take one.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Has anyone made there own safes? And if so, let's see them!!!

Not a homemade safe, but I did take a nightstand that I found at goodwill and "modified" it.

Won't keep a thief out, I have a larger "real" safe for that. My main goal was keeping my son and his little friends out as they grow & start to walk and talk.

I'd still like to clean it up a bit, so it's a work in progress.

bedstand.jpg

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've seen a couple where a closet was the space and reinforcement added all round including the door. some commercial ones like this avail.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    heard someone took an old coke machine, gutted the inside, installed shelf and uprights to hold guns and left the outside intact, those already have good locks on them, not as good as a modern safe but they can work.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I always thought a water softener would make a good appliance to tear apart and make one out of. I've never had the time to play with the idea though.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I've got an old coal room off my basement that ive been wanting to convert into a walk in gunroom/safe. Its watertight but i need to find a safe door to install it. I would probably weld up some plate steel to box in and then weld the front to the safe door frame. Problem is getting the door and steel plates down the narrow stairs. About killed 3 of us getting an old cast iron wood burner out of there!

Top Bottom