• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • model60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    It can happen anywhere, anytime...reason enough to be as prepared as possible taking into consideration your personal circumstances at home.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Best way to prevent a home invasion robbery:

1) Don't sell dope.
    2) Don't belong to a gang that's primary source of income is dope.
    3) Don't spread the word you have large amounts of cash, firearms, or dope in your house.

That eliminates the motive for the vast majority of home invasions.

Something makes me think that a very high percentage of the victims reported in this thread followed all three things you suggest, and yet they were victimized.

I feel like there's a lesson here somewhere…

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Weird this thread was brought to the top just now. I was expecting Ice Mountain today, so left the jugs out. Door was locked, lights off, car in garage. Was just sitting on my laptop in living room.
    Dogs start barking, and I look out window, Ice Mountain driver is BACKING down our really long driveway, which opens up at the end, wide enough to turn a semi! So I knew it had to be a new driver.
    I go sit down on my laptop, was busy doing school work, so I don't even open the door to talk to him.
    All the sudden I hear the knob twisting and a thump on the door.
    I carry on me at home, so instantly it came out.
    I go to the window, and he is on the porch, back to me in front of the window, messing with the jugs.
    Don't open the door to ask him if he was trying to open it, didn't want a confrontation.
    Now that I think about it, maybe he bumped into the knob while carrying a jug?
    Next month I will find out, if it's the same driver, I will leave the door unlocked this time, and stand right in front of it.

EDIT: That just reminded me of what I said about drivers merging into me on I-465. I said next time someone doesn't check their blind spot, I will let them hit me, instead of forcing me to the side. Guess what! It hasn't happened since then, and it's been months! Woot!

It doesn't surprise me it took IMPD 15 minutes to respond, it's a big city. I am pretty sure that Oakland will not respond unless the suspect is still in the house. They don't do cold calls.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    When I lived in a Condo. For some reason, I've never felt any fear of break ins but one can never be too sure even with an extra front door that's time locked. They actually replaced the garage doors with locks that can not stay unlock. When you twist the key in the hole, it turns the door knob. Apparently they did it because people kept leaving the doors unlocked. That told me even in my nice little condo community, **** can happen, so I am also prepared. It's also bad in the parking lot because there are no lights for the parking lot. So when it is dark, it is pitch black outside. Sometimes I throw out the trash and night, which I need to stop doing, and I go out carrying with a light on.

richieray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Kewanna
    Best advise find a gun your wife is comfortable with and teach her to use it. i had good fortune that one of wires good friends is gun owner and was very helpful. As men we don't always understand women's viewpoint I'm partial to 45 acp. She settled on 380 said she doesn't need one shot stopping power cause if she needs to shoot she is emptying magazine

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Home invasions and burglaries seem to be on the rise. I have had the fortunate luck of never had to deal with one, but know a couple of people who have.

With a stay at home wife and a young daughter who isn't old enough to go to school yet, this has raised a red flag for me.

I was just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge and had to deal with one while they were home. Not necessarily looking for details (unless you want to), just trying to get an idea of frequency and/or likelihood.

I have the same set up. Pretty wife who stays home, two beautiful daughters 10 and 5. I travel so I'm gone every other week.

Best bet, go get you a dog! We have a black lab mix who sounds absolutely vicious when anyone comes in her yard.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I have the same set up. Pretty wife who stays home, two beautiful daughters 10 and 5. I travel so I'm gone every other week.

Best bet, go get you a dog! We have a black lab mix who sounds absolutely vicious when anyone comes in her yard.

We actually have 3 dogs that stay inside, a jack russell mix, a pit bull mix, and an italian mastiff. They (the two bigger ones) are visually intimidating and the mastiff has a bark that has caused solicitors to run from my house. It doesn't help strangers that my dogs go nuts when someone comes to the front door. Luckily, most people don't get any further than that. If they did, they would quickly discover my dogs are big wussies and just want you to shower them with attention and play.

dPo2eB

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    One of our PAs was awoke to their alarm going off a few nights ago. Her husband saw it was the garage side door. Went there, found it standing open and no bad guys. They had a lot of junk behind the door which had the entry blocked.

I asked her what their plan was if the person continued entry. She admitted they had none. She's looking into getting a gun. Funny how safety isn't an issue until you are forced to think about it.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Two lessons I learned: better locks throughout the house and a security alarm. Plus, never (even/especially @ 3 am) go outside unarmed.

Indeed - I really recommend a home security system. Considering what they offer they are really not that expensive AND you get a deduction on your homeowners insurance that almost pays for the system in my case. Mine is monitored 24hours and if someone kicks a door in or breaks a window all hell breaks loose with the ear piercing alarm. The perps will NOT stick around I guarantee it. It was a piece of cake to install myself and has wireless interface so no running wires, etc. Also, you can buy them and not have the monitoring service to save $ and you get just about the same effect since the noise is what will scare them off. For me the monitoring service is worth it though. Also, having the alarm signs in your yard is also a deterrent.

I really do not understand why folks do not alarm up :dunno:

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Back in 2001 my wife was fighting cancer. While taking radiation and chemo she would sleep downstairs. We had a walkout basement that overlooked about 30 acres of woods. One nite I was awakend by my shepherd barking and wife yelling, ran downstairs as the dog made his way thru the screen in the sliding glass door. Turns out that someone forced open the sliding glass door and as he went to step in the dog come around to meet him , he shut the screen door and ran, dog ran thru the screen and nailed him at the fence. Turned out to be a neighbor across the street, funny how when I heard the dog bark and wife scream I never thought bout grabbing the .357, I just ran. I thank god I had the best back up to my .357, my dog Max (R.I.P.):rockwoot:

Top Bottom