• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    my plan is to not make enemies and not flaunt what i have to provoke a home invasion,but if and when it comes to it i expect the worst so i am ready for whatever or whoever makes the mistake of intruding on my sacred ground

I wish you well in your endeavor.

pax tecum

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    if you go to a gun forum and tell people who carry a gun that they are paranoid, living in the wrong area, or dreaming you are either

A. An idiot

B. A troll

C. work for Obama?

God I hate ****ing idiots :ar15::ar15::ar15:

You forgot -
    D. all of the above

Remember guys, everyone is entitled to there own opinions - Even when he's WRONG.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    my plan is to not make enemies and not flaunt what i have to provoke a home invasion,but if and when it comes to it i expect the worst so i am ready for whatever or whoever makes the mistake of intruding on my sacred ground
    This make sense to me.
    thank you bill for the welcome to the community and my statement was only that a statement not intendid for advice just my opinion
    You may be surprised to know the amount of members on this Forum that DO carry a firearm during most ALL waking hours?

i dont know about the rest of you guys, but if ur paranoid enough to carry in your own house you should consider steel doors and window bars!
    The steel door/window bars could be used as MORE of an attraction then a protection=As in -What do these people have in their house that is so valuable???

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    thank you whales also and remember guys im a newbie dont be too harsh im as die hard enthusiast as the rest and long time marksman just new to pistols

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    I thought this to be sensible advice and fairly common practice...

The first suggestion I would make is to have firearms on you instead of in your bedroom.

Then I read this...

i dont know about the rest of you guys, but if ur paranoid enough to carry in your own house you should consider steel doors and window bars!

I think that being prepared is not necessarily being paranoid, it's just smart. Needing a gun (like the gentleman did in the scenario) and not having one within reach can cost dearly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    as for those statements im very open and agree to urs it would attract alot of undesired attention. i didnt mean to offend just tryin to conversate among higher knowledgable individuals again im sorry if i offended or seemed pushy in my statements im just here to talk among eachother in a civil manner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    and my first statement wasnt the best one i agree i was just joking about the steel doors and windows just trying to break the ice i promise no more hack attempts at humor guys im just new to all this and talking with you guys has opened my eyes another 4 inches i know home invasion is no joke at all and i was wrong to try and make it one i apologize sincerely to all of you

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Considering that an invader can cover 15'/sec, we will have little time for planning on the fly. We should all rehearse our perspective plans so that we react immediately and decisively. Keep those doors locked and do not forget the long screws in the hinges and strikers of the exterior doors, just might buy you some more time...

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You're doing GREAT...

Jerry, hang in there..You're doing fine..Some of us (Especially ME) do not have real good communication skills, or Political Correctness..
    Stay in the discussions and get your point across--Heck we ALL have different ideas+opinions..That's what makes this Forum work...Heck over 2.5 MILLION Post!!!HA HA...Bill.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    thanks bill that means alot and i also dont have the best communication skills either lol but im gonna stick it out none the less i love guns too much

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    thanks bill that means alot and i also dont have the best communication skills either lol but im gonna stick it out none the less i love guns too much

Yep, stick it out for awhile+then pay up your $15.00 (Per Year) and become a Site Supporter--It means a lot to the Forum+it opens a lot more doors to you as far as access to all areas...Bill

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    thank you whales also and remember guys im a newbie dont be too harsh im as die hard enthusiast as the rest and long time marksman just new to pistols

Of course you're a long time marksman. Despite your being new to pistols, it's clear that you are a long time marksman.

That said, the OP and the thread is not about firearms.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Let's refocus. Concrete ideas for home defense that I got from this thread:

1. Do not attempt to clear the house. Could anyone elaborate on this or perhaps point me to a useful website? I may post in the Tactics and Training subforum. I've noticed courses in clearing buildings tend to be restricted to the police & the military.

2. Carry even in the home. When you need it, you may not have time to get it.

3. Have a cell phone on you.

To me, and probably to many other people. (2) and (3) pose similar problems. I don't always know where my cell phone is, and currently I don't make it a habit to have my phone with me all the time. I will have to reconsider this. For people with my concerns, this is a matter of everyday convenience vs. emergency preparedness, and though it's important, I don't think discussion is worth the bad vibes unless civility can be maintained.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    From a home defense perspective, developing a habit of having a firearm on you is more important than having a cell phone.

Assuming one can find the time and privacy to place a call in an emergency situation, one must wait for a response. Once a response arrives, one must wait for responders to react. Then, one must hope the reaction of the responders is successful.

You are responsible for the protection of your loved ones, your self and your property. In a home invasion situation, you and your family are the first responders.

Contemplate what that means and practice accordingly.

The reality is that 911 is a clean up call.

Last edited:

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    I also had a dream similar to this the other day. I was on one side of the house and heard some noise on the other. The dog was next to me, started to growl. As I headed toward I had the glock in hand and chambered, saw someone, aimed, he shouted "wait! its me!"

That split second I could have killed a friend of mine. Luckily I am not a shoot first ask later person. He knew I carried but I could not see him in the dark. I think the dream was to tell me not to be so paranoid, but to be prepared. If I would have seen anything in his hands I would have pulled the trigger.

Nothing wrong with being ready, but I keep all my doors locked all the time. So If I do her something and my dog is in sight, I know things are not right. If you are going to have a firearm, keep it chambered always. I have even had an LEO tell me that after a traffic stop. He was more shocked I did not have it chambered than the fact I was carrying.

Just my .02

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I also had a dream similar to this the other day. I was on one side of the house and heard some noise on the other. The dog was next to me, started to growl. As I headed toward I had the glock in hand and chambered, saw someone, aimed, he shouted "wait! its me!"

That split second I could have killed a friend of mine. Luckily I am not a shoot first ask later person. He knew I carried but I could not see him in the dark. I think the dream was to tell me not to be so paranoid, but to be prepared. If I would have seen anything in his hands I would have pulled the trigger.

Nothing wrong with being ready, but I keep all my doors locked all the time. So If I do her something and my dog is in sight, I know things are not right. If you are going to have a firearm, keep it chambered always. I have even had an LEO tell me that after a traffic stop. He was more shocked I did not have it chambered than the fact I was carrying.

Just my .02

Good .02, but I must have missed the part where somebody suggested firing without confirmation of target.

Top Bottom