Home invasion/hostage... What would you do..?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Ha, lots do. I see it so often. They are great at the line shooting at helpless targets but once we introduce time they can't hit a barn. Just that tiny bit of stress screws up everything. Force on force training seems to be a great way to get used to the stress and condition yourself to overcome the effects.
    After all the years, decades actually of coke use, I should be quite calm :laugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Your heart rate will jump to 200 bpm, you will get tunnel vision, and your adrenaline will feel like snorting cocaine. You have a one foot dia target partially concealed by your most precious loved ones head. If you are confident in the shot...take it. Just do so knowing that the decisions you make were the best under the worst circumstances and that if you miss and hit your loved one you are able to live with the decisions you made. I question ANYONE that KNOWS 100% what they would do. Bravado is deadly. I am a seasoned firearms instructor and an expert shot with a pretty good stress coping ability and I have NO IDEA how I would react. I can only hope that my training and experience will lead me to the correct decision NO MATTER WHAT IT IS. I would be full of BS if I said otherwise. I call BS on some of these posts.

+1 to this

All one can do is train. Like some others have mentioned here taking classes and introducing as much stress as possible into the scenario to try to mitigate the effects. I wonder how targets like the one I have listed below would help in preparation? Again, add the stress factors and try to ramp up pressure as much as possible.

IPSC Hostage Target [IPSCHOSTAR] - $484.38 : MGM Targets, Taking training to the next level...

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is really one of the big senarios you should train for every day. Hostage shots!
    If you can pull this one off consistently under real pressure then you can probably handle most things.
    Giving up your gun condems you & your loved one to death. The only difference is that you get to watch him rape her/him first. You have to realize that you're dead anyways, so you might as well resist.
    This is another reason why you need a HD gun that you've trained well with and is accurate enough to pull off these kinds of shots.
    It's not likely that I would even attempt to talk him down. If he's stupid enough to stop what he's doing and demand that I lay my weapon down, I'm going to take that time to blow his head off. (Ocular cranial region only! No forehead shots!) If I don't have a shot or he's moving around, I'm going to corner him in my house and call the cavalry. IPD SWAT doesn't get enough hostage calls. They'd probably appreciate me giving them something to do.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The answer to this situation is obviously, to shoot through a non-vital part of the loved one, killing the bad guy. I've seen an action movie or ten.:cool:

cfl4rat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Rosstucky
    and its just that,.. the stress and condition makes me question weather or not some would in fact put the fire arm down, i mean fu*k that would be hard to gamble with one of my little ones life..?

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    To quote Tuco from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: "When you have to shoot, SHOOT! Don't talk!"

Hold your breath, aim for the nose, and press.

It's easy to sit here and say things like that. He may be moving around a lot = hard to get a shot. I'm pretty sure however I would be explaining to him in excruciating detail the horrific, prolonged, agonizing death he was going to experience if he so much as scratched my loved one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    These questions are hard to answer unless your in that situation but I can tell you rule #1 is I would NEVER disarm myself. If they are going to harm my loved ones they sure as hell won't do it with me disarming.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'll play.

I have no idea what I'd do. And I think that would be a nightmare of a situation.

To even make that shot, I do know that I don't feel comfortable in my own ability to be that accurate, especially with that type of stress going on.

It would be good training practice to set up some reactive targets to simulate it though. Just to train oneself to be better accurate.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    and its just that,.. the stress and condition makes me question weather or not some would in fact put the fire arm down, i mean fu*k that would be hard to gamble with one of my little ones life..?

There is no one answer...only what is right for you at the time.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I would think the important thing to do is not to give up your gun, remain calm and take the first good shot you can get. Don't let emotions factor in. This is combat. Possibly by remaining calm, it will throw off the bad guy because things are not going as he planned.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Guys....if you don't decide how you're going to react now. You and your loved one are screwed then. You have to decide your plan of action beforehand and you have to train for it.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This scenario is one reason to make sure you have something other than just a shotgun for home defense.

Actually you can use shotguns for hostage shots pretty well. When using 00 buck, aim at the ear. Half the spread will miss, the other half will tear through his brain stem. Obviously how big the pattern is and at what range depends on the shotgun and the choke, so take your shotgun out to the range with a few hostage targets and figure out where your pellets are going and at what range.
    Just beware of what's behind the BG when you do this....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom