Home invasion/hostage... What would you do..?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cfl4rat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Rosstucky
    This has crossed my mind in the past. I hope to god no one is ever faced with this scenario but let's face it with all the crazies running around its better to be prepared mentally just in case...

Lets say a robber, rapist, thief, junkie, etc. breaks into your home in the middle of the night and snatches up a loved one he is armed, you wake and grab your sidearm, confront him and he says to drop the weapon or the loved one dies...

So what do you do? Do you put your gun down and risk him killing you and the rest of your family or do you stand your ground and risk him doing the unthinkable?....

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    I couldn't tell you what I would do for sure. There are a million other details that would factor in.
    What is my loved ones current location, i.e. are they a shield?
    Is the weapon pointing at me or a loved one?
    And so on, and so on.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    The way I see it, I will never give up my gun! I could not live with the fact that I gave up and my family was hurt because of it!

What happens after that cannot be answered, I will do everything I can in my power given the situation...the future is untold!

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Could not answer that unless it was happening. But I believe relinquishing your firearm would put ALL your family in jeopardy.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Get him to answer and shoot when he opens his mouth to speak. He will be distracted just enough to shoot first and get a shot off. Hopefully it's an instant CNS stopper and there is no twitching before he hits the floor.

I get super pissed when I'm muzzled with an unloaded weapon, let alone a loved one by a stupid criminal.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Your heart rate will jump to 200 bpm, you will get tunnel vision, and your adrenaline will feel like snorting cocaine. You have a one foot dia target partially concealed by your most precious loved ones head. If you are confident in the shot...take it. Just do so knowing that the decisions you make were the best under the worst circumstances and that if you miss and hit your loved one you are able to live with the decisions you made. I question ANYONE that KNOWS 100% what they would do. Bravado is deadly. I am a seasoned firearms instructor and an expert shot with a pretty good stress coping ability and I have NO IDEA how I would react. I can only hope that my training and experience will lead me to the correct decision NO MATTER WHAT IT IS. I would be full of BS if I said otherwise. I call BS on some of these posts.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Your heart rate will jump to 200 bpm, you will get tunnel vision, and your adrenaline will feel like snorting cocaine. You have a one foot dia target partially concealed by your most precious loved ones head. If you are confident in the shot...take it. Just do so knowing that the decisions you make were the best under the worst circumstances and that if you miss and hit your loved one you are able to live with the decisions you made. I question ANYONE that KNOWS 100% what they would do. Bravado is deadly. I am a seasoned firearms instructor and an expert shot with a pretty good stress coping ability and I have NO IDEA how I would react. I can only hope that my training and experience will lead me to the correct decision NO MATTER WHAT IT IS. I would be full of BS if I said otherwise. I call BS on some of these posts.

We have a winner! Well said

cfl4rat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Rosstucky

That about sums it up^^

by no means am i asking for some one to "tell" me how to react, just curious to see if other's have thought about this and what they "think" they would do?..

But yeah that would be a tough pill to swallow!!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

Heart rate won't surge to 200 bpm either, that's a bit of an overstretch.

You can call BS all you want. If they have a gun at my wife or children's heads one of us is not leaving. I trust myself to being able to hit a watermelon across my entire house, regardless of my psychosomatic distress.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    As Tuco said: "Shoot. Don't talk"

That assumes you have the shot and the training to know EXACTLY where your bullet will strike at that distance with the adrenaline flowing.

Big assumption.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Heart rate won't surge to 200 bpm either, that's a bit of an overstretch.

You can call BS all you want. If they have a gun at my wife or children's heads one of us is not leaving. I trust myself to being able to hit a watermelon across my entire house, regardless of my psychosomatic distress.

Wow, I was not aware I was in the presence of a true combat warrior. I capitulate. For those who are not as seasoned here is some information that you can use to "stress inoculate" yourselves.

Adrenal Stress in Crisis

If you are not used to the dump, your hands will shake like you have full blown Parkinsons. Don't let the first time be the time you need your senses the most.

cfl4rat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Rosstucky
    Any one know of a defensive firearms training course in the Lafayette area? also i've been wanting my kids to go through a firearms safety class. when i was a youngster living in MI they offered a hunters safety class, do they have something similar here?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is the reality of the scenario.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ We practice such shots but paper is not really holding a gun to my wife's head. WE also practice force on force in close quarters so hopefully both of these things would play out in our advantage.
    Never, ever give up your gun if you have it on point. That is why we have them. It is the real reason.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ok you called me out. You're right. Under pressure I'd probably jerk the trigger.

Ha, lots do. I see it so often. They are great at the line shooting at helpless targets but once we introduce time they can't hit a barn. Just that tiny bit of stress screws up everything. Force on force training seems to be a great way to get used to the stress and condition yourself to overcome the effects.

Top Bottom