• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Not sure if this has been covered, but here's the scenario.

You are cleaning your full auto suppressed M-16a2 after a day at the range. You just got done putting her all back together when you hear a window smash downstairs. You load up your rifle with a 20 round mag, call the police, and guard the doorway of the room you're in. Suddenly, the door slams open and the man has a mask and a gun. You dump an entire mag into him.

No over penetration, all projectiles are recovered in your house. What possible legal issues could you have? Is there a law in Indiana that says you can't use NFA items for self defense? Could a nasty prosecutor get you life in prison for protecting yourself like that?

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Not sure if this has been covered, but here's the scenario.

You are cleaning your full auto suppressed M-16a2 after a day at the range. You just got done putting her all back together when you hear a window smash downstairs. You load up your rifle with a 20 round mag, call the police, and guard the doorway of the room you're in. Suddenly, the door slams open and the man has a mask and a gun. You dump an entire mag into him.

No over penetration, all projectiles are recovered in your house. What possible legal issues could you have? Is there a law in Indiana that says you can't use NFA items for self defense? Could a nasty prosecutor get you life in prison for protecting yourself like that?

I have no idea but I'm sure TFT and Bill of Rights have the answer.....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    full auto suppressed M-16a2

You load up your rifle with a 20 round mag,

You dump an entire mag into him.

What possible legal issues could you have?

This means you pressed the trigger seven (7) times.

There will be a lot of blood and photos for the jury.

Was the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh trigger press something a reasonable person in fear of serious bodily injury or death would do?

The SWAT officer who will testify against you will say no. So will the forsenic pathologist from Lowell.

Is there a law in Indiana that says you can't use NFA items for self defense?

No.

Could a nasty prosecutor get you life in prison for protecting yourself like that?

Everytime you use violence against fellow human beings you face prison.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Lots of folks don't want to be in the position to have a (generally) high-dollar item confiscated as evidence, though. That IS something to think about if you do indeed have an M16 as bedside duty.

-J-

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Indiana Code 35-41-3

Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Don't forget the civil suit against you may be harder to defend with so much shooting.

I thought that Indiana code provided legal protection in the event that you were forced to protect yourself or another. In other words, if you are found to have been justified in using deadly force, there can be no civil suit to follow. :dunno:

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In other words, if you are found to have been justified in using deadly force, there can be no civil suit to follow.

Who says that you will be found to have been justified?:dunno:

Who is to say what a prosecutor and then a jury will find after you seven tap someone?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have no idea but I'm sure TFT and Bill of Rights have the answer.....
    ATM and Kirk, actually, but thanks for the vote of confidence! :D
    This means you pressed the trigger seven (7) times.

There will be a lot of blood and photos for the jury.

Was the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh trigger press something a reasonable person in fear of serious bodily injury or death would do?

The SWAT officer who will testify against you will say no. So will the forsenic pathologist from Lowell.

No.

Everytime you use violence against fellow human beings you face prison.

Kirk, would it have to be limited to three-rd bursts, or could it have been a one-trigger-squeeze mag dump? The only thing I know about the M16 other than that it's full-auto is that it's very unlikely that I'm ever going to have enough cash to afford one. :spend:

Blessings,
    Bill

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Bill, I believe the M16A2 only has single shot and 3 round burst capabilities.

Kirk, I think the 7 tap is beside the point in the OP.

Lets condense this to: I used my NFA item in self defense, what now?

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Lots of folks don't want to be in the position to have a (generally) high-dollar item confiscated as evidence, though. That IS something to think about if you do indeed have an M16 as bedside duty.

-J-

This ^^^^^. Do you REALLY want several thousand $$$ of NFA fun confiscated by non-gun people and returned several years after all legal proceedings have finished as a blob of rust?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Bill, I believe the M16A2 only has single shot and 3 round burst capabilities.

Kirk, I think the 7 tap is beside the point in the OP.

Lets condense this to: I used my NFA item in self defense, what now?

You mean like an Uzi?

I'm also curious if things would be different, legally, if your pistol had a Suppressor on it also.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This ^^^^^. Do you REALLY want several thousand $$$ of NFA fun confiscated by non-gun people and returned several years after all legal proceedings have finished as a blob of rust?

The OP wasn't saying anything about using said NFA item as the primary use of HD. The scenario was he was cleaning it after a range day. It was already in his hands.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I don't think it matters if you emptied the mag with 1, 7, or 20 trigger pulls, you needed to eliminate the threat and you didn't feel the threat had been eliminated until he had 20 rounds in him. I think that any prosecuter would study the case and evaluate if he felt that he could win the case if he proceeded with prosecution.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom