• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I have never taken home defense that seriously. Until about two weeks ago. I noticed a jet black Chevy Malibu roll up and down my street. Never seen it before, and we haven't had any new neighbors. They have come back every other night, around nine each night, and just creep down the street, really slow, can't see in their windows. I asked my neighbors, no one has seen it during the day. They don't pull into any driveways, just go to the end of the street, and head towards the exit of my community.

I called the police, and they sent a cruiser out, but as we all know, when seconds count, the police are minutes away, so they missed the,.

So with that out of the way, let me introduce you to my tiny arsenal...

Single Shot 20 gauge
    Semi Auto .22 (ten rounds)
    Mosin Nagant

With those in mind, and the fact that I can't buy another firearm for a few weeks (but I plan to). What would you recommend to have at the ready for home defense.

I have weighed everything out in my mind, and have decided if I need to protect me or my family, than god damn it I will. So don't try to talk me away from keeping a gun next to my bed like everyone I have talked to before. But I figured INGO would have some valuable opinions on what to keep "cocked, locked, and ready to rock" should something happen..

Two questions:

1) For the time being, what should I keep at the ready?
    -If the shotgun, what kind of shot? ATM I have about 20 rounds of birdshot, but am willing to go buy whatever is needed.

2) What would you recommend (sub $300) for a good defense gun? No problem buying used.
    -Remember, 18 years old, so getting a handgun will be difficult... :xmad::xmad:

As always,

Thanks INGO!

:ingo::rockwoot::ingo::rockwoot::ingo::rockwoot:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well, if the shotgun is capable of firing proper home defense ammo it's a great choice for defense. Either slugs or 00 buckshot, BUT it's a single shot and you may need faster follow up shots. That is up to your preference for the time being. When you're ready to buy I would suggest finding a used Mossberg or Maverick (made by mossberg) with the extended mag tube. They can be found used within your price range. Again, using slugs or buckshot.

Until that time, you may wish to prefer having the ability for follow up shots and so I would suggest just going with you Mosin until you can buy an adequate shotgun. Just be sure of where your aim is and what's beyond your target should you need to use it because it is a likely to penetrate into other rooms and/or into neighboring properties.

Last edited:

tyler_durden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Westfield
    Not sure of the exact price but a mossberg 500 is an inexpensive, reliable pump action 12ga. Great for home defense. Once you are able I would recommend getting a good full size pistol. I use a glock 19 with attached light so you can see what you may have to shoot. Some guys prefer a hand held light but I like the weapon light.

Also with the mossy 500 there is a ton of aftermarket parts out there. You can also get a light for it. Hope this helps.

Edit: Kidd beat me to the 500 recommendation

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The thing you want to consider when choosing an appropriate home defense weapon is your own skill/capability. Shotguns are surrounded in myths that you can just "point in the general direction and the bad guy just disappears." This of course is false, although the shotgun has extremely high efficiency rates compared to that of pistols. Also, you can select various different ammunition with different levels of penetrating power if you must be concerned with family members in other rooms. A pistol on the other hand isn't going to have a hard time passing through the walls and it takes considerably more practice, and inherantly more money to become as accurate with it as opposed to a shotgun. Considering this, without enough money to practice you're more likely to miss and penetrate into other rooms. Plus, there are far more confirmed cases of "one shot stops" from shotguns than that of pistols, per number of instances. That means that with the right ammunition they will be a little more effective. One shot is much more likely to stop an attacker from a shotgun, than that of a pistol which will require several follow up shot in most cases.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Pump shotgun is my recommendation. Remington or Mossberg. "OO" buckshot in the shotgun. I am almost positive no one on this forum will tell you NOT to keep a loaded weapon next to you while you sleep, only advise keeping it as secure as possible yet ready to go at a moments notice. If you get a shotgun I would strongly suggest some sort of light on the gun once your budget permits. You want to be able to see what your aiming at.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Alright, I am pretty partial to getting a shotgun, not only because of your guys recommendations, but also due to the fact, that it will just be a hell of a lot easier on me. So the Mossberg looks like a pretty good choice, I will be keeping an eye out for one around town instead of ordering online.

00 is the best bet for ammo?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Alright, I am pretty partial to getting a shotgun, not only because of your guys recommendations, but also due to the fact, that it will just be a hell of a lot easier on me. So the Mossberg looks like a pretty good choice, I will be keeping an eye out for one around town instead of ordering online.

00 is the best bet for ammo?
    00 is almost like firing half a dozen 9mm rounds at once. It does spread like an ordinary birdshot round, just not usually as much/fast. It will certainly drop an attacker but also have SLIGHTLY less penetrative power than that of a slug. Once you make your purchase, buy some of both and take it to the range to see how each shoots at various distances. Start off at a closer than normal distance and work your way out to distances that replicate the longest straight-aways in your home so that you know how it works throughout the ranges you will most likely be faced with.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You can also usually save a decent amount of money by purchasing at good prices online. I rarely find a better price locally than online. Even if it's only $20, that's $20 worth of ammo.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Remington 870 with 00-Buck, the ultimate home defense gun! Especially when you can't buy a pistol. It is far more effecrive than any pistol, just not as convenient. For now that 20g sounds just fine though.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    2) What would you recommend (sub $300) for a good defense gun? No problem buying used.
    -Remember, 18 years old, so getting a handgun will be difficult... :xmad::xmad:

Shouldn't be difficult. At 18, you can legally buy a handgun from another Indiana resident. Check the INGO classifieds.
    That way, you'll have something more substantial than the .22 to carry on you as well, assuming you already have or will get the LTCH.

(The law restricting handgun sales to 21+ only applies to FFLs.)

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Mossberg 500 with 00 buck is a great choice. This probably goes without having to be said, but I hope you're taking some other pre-cautions...Lighting the exterior, making sure you doors and windows are locked even during the day, clear any shrubs that might offer cover, etc. I'd be sure my house appears to be one of the least desirable on the block if that's their motive.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'd suggest getting a quality pistol first (used glock 19 comes to mind), as you can also use it as a CCW. Sell whatever you're not partial to to fund it if necessary. Shotgun would be next on my list, 870 or mossy 500 can both be had relatively inexpensively.

White light is also a MUST, whether weapon mounted or handheld, you need to identify your target before commiting to shoot. Weapon mounted will probably be best at first.

Also seek instruction and shoot as much as possible, as well as dry fire and weapon/malfunction drills. Most people get caught up in buying a ton of guns, but rarely find the time to shoot them. You should always be spending more money on ammo than you do on firearms.

Lastly, congrats on taking the initiative to protect yourself and the ones you love. Make sure to do a lot of reading and gain the maturity and understanding that comes along with the responsibility of becoming an armed citizen.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    A Mosin Nagant with bayonet can probably stab anything across the room. You probably don't even need to keep it loaded! :)

For $300 a pump shotgun with an 18" barrel is probably your best choice. I like the handgun ideas, but you are going to have trouble finding a good one for under $300.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'll echo most of what has been said in this thread already, add that I'd probably go the used handgun route first as well, as something like G19 would fit well within the budget (425-475 for a low round count Glock is pretty common on INGO classifieds).

Take care to consider your neighbors and the angles at which you can safely fire, as well as safely fire and miss, as mentioned 12guage shotguns can be great cost effective firearms, but there is a lot of myth surrounding them. 12ga slugs will go through many walls, 00 Buck will generally go through at lease one exterior wall, as will most handgun ammo, 00 Birdshot seems to be a little more popular if you have lots of close neighbors as it can still be very effective. I do not count on interior walls to stop anything, so remember that if you have family in the room behind the BG, or are in an apartment situation. You are responsible for every round.

Which is why in the meantime I'd say go with the 20gauge; as much as the Mosin would be the better weapon when the round hits the bad guy, and able to offer faster follow up shots, miss by an inch and that round can go somewhere you don't want it to be.

Also take some time read up on Indiana's use of force laws, and figure out at your home exactly what constitutes "curtilage" (It's not necessarily the property line) Indiana Code 35-41-3

Also see if you can get the plates of the vehicle while staying in the house, and keep it written down and handy, that info can be really valuable if the police are having trouble getting there in time or prioritizing it; if it's something that comes back as stolen or owned by someone with warrants they'll likely get there faster, and if they're looking for the vehicle on their way in it can help as an identifier in the description, when they're trying to chase down every dark colored sedan in the area and get to where the call came from. The more exterior lighting the better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Pump shotgun is my recommendation. Remington or Mossberg. "OO" buckshot in the shotgun. I am almost positive no one on this forum will tell you NOT to keep a loaded weapon next to you while you sleep, only advise keeping it as secure as possible yet ready to go at a moments notice. If you get a shotgun I would strongly suggest some sort of light on the gun once your budget permits. You want to be able to see what your aiming at.

This...:twocents:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Most importantly, have a plan. Plan what you would do and where you would go if someone attempts to breakin. A safe room with a phone and a weapon in it, is usually the best option. Involve the entire family in the plan and practice.
    Most importantly, practice that plan until you can do it in your sleep.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, does your home defense plan involve the need to move around the house much, such as to secure children, etc., or is it primarily retreat to a safe room and call 911?

If the former, frankly a handgun is often the better tool, imo, because it facilitates movement within the confines of most homes and can be used with one hand.

If the latter, then a shotgun is fine.

Top Bottom