• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    My wife has just got serious about home defense. However, we are stuck on what to get her to use since I am not home alot. She wants a pistol since she hates shotguns. She is pretty good with a pistol and likes the beretta format. I figure a light pistol with a light rail and night sights but she is stuck on something all metal and with a manual safety. What would you suggest?

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I would let her pick the gun out since she will be using it. You may want to give her suggestions, but in the end it will be her decision. She should be practicing with the pistol a lot, something she may not do if it is not comfortable for her.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    My wife has a S&W 642, its nice but a bit much for a small frame. I suggest a glock 19 if she is gun savvy even a bit. Trouble shooting a semi-auto is a bit more than a revolver however 15shots of 9mm is better than 5 of .38 SP +P IMO. Second to that maybe a bursa thunder, for same reasons but you have a manual safety instead and a little less recoil. I think that the bursa has more tolerances for limp wristing too.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    My suggestion is that you listen to your wife and get her what she wants.
    If she is going to be the primary user of the firearm then it needs to be something that SHE wants and or desires. If she likes it, she will train with it. If she trains with it, then it might one day serve a very important purpose in the protection of her or others. If you get her what YOU think she needs then all you will have is an expensive paperweight.
    Now the plus side of this, since that firearm will be "hers" it is the perfect reason to buy one of your own.:twocents:

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    My suggestion is that you listen to your wife and get her what she wants.
    If she is going to be the primary user of the firearm then it needs to be something that SHE wants and or desires. If she likes it, she will train with it. If she trains with it, then it might one day serve a very important purpose in the protection of her or others. If you get her what YOU think she needs then all you will have is an expensive paperweight.
    Now the plus side of this, since that firearm will be "hers" it is the perfect reason to buy one of your own.:twocents:

I agree - unless of course you exploit this to get that new weaponry you have been drooling over - when she doesn't like the compact kimber you can always pick up the J-frame revolver!!:):

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My wife has just got serious about home defense. However, we are stuck on what to get her to use since I am not home alot. She wants a pistol since she hates shotguns. She is pretty good with a pistol and likes the beretta format. I figure a light pistol with a light rail and night sights but she is stuck on something all metal and with a manual safety. What would you suggest?

My wife LOVES her RIA 1911. If your wife likes the Beretta format, the 92FS is a good choice, and a member here has a Beretta Cougar for sale. The Cougars are very good guns.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Take this chance and take her around to a few shops and let her shop around, that way you have a selection and can make sure she gets what she wants ( that is key :): )

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    She will choose the gun that she likes, no doubt, But since you asked our opinions, offering them is OK, I suppose :rolleyes:. As long as the horse drinks the water, who cares if it thinks that it walked their all by its self or if you helped steer it in the right direction. ;)

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    My wife has a S&W 642, its nice but a bit much for a small frame. I suggest a glock 19 if she is gun savvy even a bit. Trouble shooting a semi-auto is a bit more than a revolver however 15shots of 9mm is better than 5 of .38 SP +P IMO. Second to that maybe a bursa thunder, for same reasons but you have a manual safety instead and a little less recoil. I think that the bursa has more tolerances for limp wristing too.

This is true about the limp wristing. The Bersa will pass the test every time and Glocks have a hard time with it. I have the Bersa and it is a great little gun. It will become my fiances when i get my 19.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    For home defense consider a LONG ARM.

20 gauge shotgun? 70% of the delivered energy, with only 50% of the recoil of a 12 Gauge using #4 buckshot and minimal worry about over penetration while still being a proven man stopper.

AR15? Light, easy to manipulate, minimal recoil, proven manstopper with rounds like the Hornady TAPS ammo and almost no worries about over penetration through the walls.

Handgun ammo, even hollowpoints, will shoot through SEVERAL walls and are more likely to endanger someone 1, 2 or even 3 rooms away from where the gun may be fired.

Just a couple things to consider.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    i'll throw my vote in for the Beretta 92FS Vertec, it has all of the qualities you said she already wants... It's a Beretta, it's metal, it's got a rail on it. i got it for my first pistol and love it.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If a lady will buy a gun the same way she buys shoes, she'll usually be fine with it.....

Proper stance, grip and trigger pull will allow shooting most any handgun, of any caliber..... But it's pretty difficult (my opinion) to learn, or teach "comfort" that doesn't already exist.

Just my two cents.......

Top Bottom