Home Break-ins on the rise (WIBC report)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    some Cat's are extremely valuable because of the Platinum they contain. A few years ago when My Brother in law was buying and selling junk cars he'd always ct the cat off and sell it separately. Told me that certain cat's from BMW's or some other Euro car are worth $400.00! I'm glad I've installed steel doors and new windows. But nothing will stop a determined Thief, except lead. And anyone trying it at my house will have a 230grn Hydro-shocking experience. I guess being unemployed has one benefit, I'm home during the day now. Plus I got a neighbor who patrols the streets in his electric wheel chair, And yes he's Licensed.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i can attest to the rise of crime. i know 3 people in my close circle of friends who have had some sort of theft occur to them in the last 2 weeks. i had a motocycle stolen also... i hate a thief

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88Gt's husband here.

I believe this all the wonderful result of Obamas economy. Everyone is becoming self employed stealing everyone else stuff.

We moved to what we thought was fairly nice area at Mills and High school road. In the last 12 months we have had the catalyic converter stolen of my 4 runner (they used a chain pipe cutter, quiet, and it left the pipe nice. and smooth and easy to weld to. The scrap metal off our trailer, one distracted my wife at the front door, the other loaded up the metal, and now our truck. I think this is only the beginning. The next two years are going to be worse until the get a change of management.

People are falling off of unemployement after 2 years, and now they have no skills, no desire, and must find another way to feed their lazy asses. I am really beginning to hate people!!!!

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    88GT you couldnt be more correct. the police officer that came when i reported my MOTO stolen told me that in the last 4 months he has seen theft of scrapable materials skyrocket and other things, basically anything that can be sold off for a small profit, were being taken left and right to "put food in the mouths of criminals kids" i didnt like how he tried to make excuses for the robbers who stole my things!!!
    but this just makes me realize that if i want to live where i do, and own nice stuff i must make it harder to take and become more vigilant myself. thats why my F250 now has an alarm and i am saving to install a CCTV system on my house to watch the exterior when i am not there.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    88GT you couldnt be more correct. the police officer that came when i reported my MOTO stolen told me that in the last 4 months he has seen theft of scrapable materials skyrocket and other things, basically anything that can be sold off for a small profit, were being taken left and right to "put food in the mouths of criminals kids" i didnt like how he tried to make excuses for the robbers who stole my things!!!
    but this just makes me realize that if i want to live where i do, and own nice stuff i must make it harder to take and become more vigilant myself. thats why my F250 now has an alarm and i am saving to install a CCTV system on my house to watch the exterior when i am not there.

You can install that stuff damn cheap if you're willing to do the work. I have a box full of cameras I got on ebay for $10 each, B/W ones that have been upgraded out from places. Lenses pretty cheap, and monitors can be had as well. A quad (or more) can be had pretty cheap too. I make my own exterior housings out of PVC fittings. Recording gets into some money, but if all you want to do is see, it doesn't have to break the bank. I have 9 cameras up right now, all doors covered inside and out, plus a few other views. Plan on a few others. That and motion sensor lights, nobody's sneaking up on you.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    30 Sept 02:30 AM (this past Friday morning) minutes after I had gotten up to get a drink and then gotten back into bed I heard the distictive noise my work truck utility boxes make when they are openned followed by a loud thump which sounded like my work truck tail gate being dropped open.

I grabbed side arm and a light and headed to the part of my house which would allow me the best visibility of the truck.

Told my better half that someone was messing with my work truck. She grabbed her pistol and phone and took up a watch position out the window.

Flipped on flood lights that light up the drive and better half saw someone duck behind the truck then take off. I saw one set of shoes behind the truck from my vantage point but they turned and ran. SHe said she saw at least two take off for the alley behind my neighbor across the streets house. I left the light on for a second then turned it off and waited, not seeing anything move I flipped it back on and figured I should go see if anything was missing.

I got clothes on and lit up my whole house perimeter and then walked out to inspect my truck. The Thump must have been the tail gate being shut rather then dropped. One of the utility boxes on the darker side of the truck as it sat had been openned but they didn't know how to work the lock to get it to latch closed before they took off.

There were tracks, leaves around the truck messed up, marks in the dirt, but nothing worth having the cops look into. Same with the lack of finger prints on the tailgate or box latch.

Notified my entire neighborhood and no one said they saw anything nor had anyone noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Rumors around the block were that others had had stuff taken. One older gentlemen who lived alone four blocks away had his house broken into while he was in bed asleep and they took a bunch of electronics, tv, dvd player, etc, he never heard them..

And people wonder why we carry guns, loaded guns, and carry spare mags..

My electric bill is worth the security of having a well lit home. Lights all over the house are being left on, on motion sensors, or timers just to screw with anyone trying to case our house.

The theives must be stupid cause we don't keep any sort of regular hours, I work at home alot, better half is in and out all day, every day and at mostly different times.

If they are stupid enough to come in the house the first call we make will more then likely be to the Coroner and the second to 911 to report a dead body..

If they try the truck again, well it just depends on the situation, we will see if they come back..

IMHO locks only keep out honest people..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I've been convelesing at home, and watching who comes through the neighborhood. I recognize those that exercise, push the babies in the stroller, and walk the dogs. When I see someone I do not recognize, I watch to see if they have a purpose, or it's a random knock on the door. I guess I have become the noisy neighbor.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've been convelesing at home, and watching who comes through the neighborhood. I recognize those that exercise, push the babies in the stroller, and walk the dogs. When I see someone I do not recognize, I watch to see if they have a purpose, or it's a random knock on the door. I guess I have become the noisy neighbor.

Noisy is almost as good as nosy. :D

It pays. I think I witnessed a thief coming back for the truck he dumped near my rental. The truck was towed to IMPD impound Friday night when it was reported stolen. On Saturday, this guy in a car that doesn't belong to any of the neighbors parked right in front of the house. The driver walked around with no discernible purpose for an hour. Never spoke to any of the neighbors, never checked out the house he parked in front of (it's a vacant HUD repo and the sale closed Friday, so it wouldn't have been out of the ordinary to see someone getting ready to begin the work it needs the next day). Nothing. Just random walking this way and that like he was trying to find his way....or his truck. :laugh: I would love to know what was going through his mind at the time.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    its getting real bad....im in south lake county not only lowell/cp/cedar lake and there is alot of car break-in's but lowes in merrillville had like 10 snow blowers stolen from them in the middle of the night a week ago

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    some Cat's are extremely valuable because of the Platinum they contain.

All I know is, if I come home and find out someone stole my cat, there's gonna be hell to pay!

boots-cat-9.jpg

I didn't know she had platinum inside, though. Where's my knife...

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Noisy is almost as good as nosy. :D

It pays. I think I witnessed a thief coming back for the truck he dumped near my rental. The truck was towed to IMPD impound Friday night when it was reported stolen. On Saturday, this guy in a car that doesn't belong to any of the neighbors parked right in front of the house. The driver walked around with no discernible purpose for an hour. Never spoke to any of the neighbors, never checked out the house he parked in front of (it's a vacant HUD repo and the sale closed Friday, so it wouldn't have been out of the ordinary to see someone getting ready to begin the work it needs the next day). Nothing. Just random walking this way and that like he was trying to find his way....or his truck. :laugh: I would love to know what was going through his mind at the time.
    Did you call the police & give them a description? It just might be what cracks the case.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    My uncle got home thurs evening sat down on his couch watching tv with his back to the patio door. After about 15 min he went to the bathroom (#1) came back to the living room to find a kid coming in the patio door! He chased him out and saw that there were 2 of them running across the yard. When he called the cops they were already in his subdivision doing a report on another break in. the kids had already hit another house and a car. This happened in harrison county.
    Some of you may have read my previous post about the guy claiming to be out of gas, well I since found out that it happened again about 2 miles down the road from me this time it was around midnight, they claimed to be out of gas and wanted to come in the womans house to use the phone, when she wouldn't let them in they got in their car and drive off.
    People are crazy! I live in the country and don't usually hear of this sorry of thing often, its getting bad everywhere.
    Oh, and my cousin was murdered last week in his home by a"friend".

Top Bottom