• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Are there any good calculations, apps or standards to go by when shooting at distance and holding for wind? I seem to be just shooting and adjusting for the wind which is fine, I guess. I'd like to be able to hit exactly where I want on the target in the first shot.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Sure there are all kind of ballistic calculators out there.
    Some apps, websites, books, etc... They even sell gadgets that will measure the wind speed and do those calculations on the fly.

The reality is those are estimates, and so is your judgment on the wind speed & direction. Even with a gadget, that's just measuring the wind at muzzle. There's a lot that can happen between there and the target (especially when the conditions vary).

Determining elevation come-ups is a science and requires some experience and data.
    Determining windage holds is an art and requires a _lot_ more experience along with a fair bit of instinct.

How far is "distance" and what are you shooting?
    Rules of thumb will vary somewhat depending on velocity & weight.

Last edited:

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Link
    It's no match for sniper training, lol. Not exactly sure what part you're looking for. Kind of a 2 part problem, first is estimating wind speed & angle to the bullet direction, then applying that to known drift values based on the cartridge being used. The predicted drift tables for common cartridges/projectiles can be found online.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Link
    It's no match for sniper training, lol. Not exactly sure what part you're looking for. Kind of a 2 part problem, first is estimating wind speed & angle to the bullet direction, then applying that to known drift values based on the cartridge being used. The predicted drift tables for common cartridges/projectiles can be found online.
    I've chronographed my bullet speeds and have the data out to 900yrds. I've been fairly decent with wind and getting within a 12" steel target in 2 or 3 shots. Just trying to do it in less. Today I had a 15ish NW wind and was shooting fruit that was on sale @ 600yrds. Watermelon exploded on 2nd shot, yellow squash was on after that but I tried for a grapefruit. 6 shots and couldn't hit the damn thing. Up and down was on target but the holdover was off and not consistent but that could've just been me. I'll just keep practicing.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The back cover of most High Power rifle score book have the charts. They read out in MOA. Velocity and Ballistic coefficient can make a difference. The charts were calibrated for military service rifles in 7,62 X 51, and worked pretty well with the 5.56 round also. There were also ways to read wind speed by how it affected a flag.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Today I had a 15ish NW wind and was shooting fruit that was on sale @ 600yrds. Watermelon exploded on 2nd shot, yellow squash was on after that but I tried for a grapefruit. 6 shots and couldn't hit the damn thing. Up and down was on target but the holdover was off and not consistent but that could've just been me.
    I wouldn't be too hard on myself about that.
    Accurate wind speed calls (and variance downrange) are important. As is being able to judge when conditions are the same as before, or if they've changed (and by how much).

Sometimes this can lead you to shoot into a gust that hasn't reached you yet, then adjust your hold based on impact and shoot into a lull that hasn't reached you yet.

The difference in windage between 13mph & 17mph 3/4 value winds is ~1 MoA for your 225gr 300prc, and ~3 MoA for 69gr 5.56. That doesn't seem like a drastic difference, but your grapefruit probably isn't much different than 1 MoA @ 600y either.

Want to get really frustrated? Use inflated balloons instead of stationary targets.
    You'll swear the bullets push them out of the way...

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Accurate wind speed calls (and variance downrange) are important. As is being able to judge when conditions are the same as before, or if they've changed (and by how much).

Sometimes this can lead you to shoot into a gust that hasn't reached you yet, then adjust your hold based on impact and shoot into a lull that hasn't reached you yet.

The difference in windage between 13mph & 17mph 3/4 value winds is ~1 MoA for your 225gr 300prc, and ~3 MoA for 69gr 5.56. That doesn't seem like a drastic difference, but your grapefruit probably isn't much different than 1 MoA @ 600y either.

Want to get really frustrated? Use inflated balloons instead of stationary targets.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton

I tried the balloons today. 90 out with no wind and it took 2 shots at a 8" balloon but it was cool watching it just disappear about a half second after a squeezed the trigger. Also ended another watermelons life but that damn grapefruit is still kickin.

Top Bottom