• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Anyone seen this show? while i have never been up close and personal with a wild boar, it seems like this show does a lot of unnecessary things. For example, they are in a truck spot lighting for boars. They come across one that doesn't run off and just stands there fat dumb and happy in an open field. They let 3 dogs out after him and he doesnt run, stands his ground and tries to fight the dogs off. The two trappers jump on the hog and wrestle it until they say this ones to big, kill it. they pull out knifes and stab the hog until it dies. Why not just do the simple thing, and shoot it instead of having the dogs run the risk of getting hurt or killed.Not only that but it would save the hog a lot of pain. One simple shot could of saved me 10 mins of watching these fools harass a pig, and gut it like Barbarians. Any one else share my thoughts?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I was wondering the same thing when I saw the show. I would much rather see the hogs put down quickly than watch those guys stick it and let it bleed out.

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    I have seen the previews, but haven't seen the show yet. I'll try to catch the show and check it out. Sometimes those reality shows seek out the biggest idiots they can find to get the ratings. That may be the case here.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    from watching a little more it seems to show more than one group of trappers. Not all of them do this, some catch them and relocate them. However after posting the first post i saw where a group let out one dog to chase a whole group of probably 25 or more pigs, and the dog got hurt. what do these people expect ?

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    When I click on this thread I thought it was going to be Girls Gone Wild: The Fatty Addition! :):
    I'll have to check this show out, sound like it's full of win.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not sure this was the show I watched last night, but I saw one where the guy took out a family of pigs, but he didn't torture them at all. They blacked out part of the screen when he killed the babies and noted it was too graphic for television. In another part of the show, a hunter was using a bow and he said he had to take the arrow out before showing the pig, because that was the, "rules of television."

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    There were two shows on Discovery on Sunday or Monday back to back. I missed all but the last five minutes of the first but watched the whole second show. I felt it was all set up as a reality show, because the rancher in Texas who had something like 600 acres could not possibly see it as cost effective to catch and relocate the hogs as opposed to just shooting them.
    Now the segment in Tampa where the pack of hogs was tearing up all the lawns in the gated community I could understand the catch and relocate as the close proximity of the neighborhood would not allow for dispatching the animals.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a tendency to yell at the TV, and this show brings out that character flaw in me. I was yelling "just ******* shoot it!!!" My wife doesn't like it when I watch shows like that.:laugh:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    im glad im not the only one who thinks this, maybe we should all get together and go show those southern boys how to do the job right. For around neighborhoods i think a boy or cross boy would be perfect

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I watched it. The priority is to "relocate" the pigs. They aren't solving the problem. Just moving it somewhere else.

Another example of fuzzy thinking animal "lovers" on TV.

Maddening to watch, so I don't anymore.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    i think the show is pretty dumb, but i'm betting that most of the hogs that are caught alive are "relocated" to a high fence operation to be shot by a paying customer. if you get to make money on both ends, you'd be trying to catch live hogs, not shoot them where they stand.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    go figure... I thought this was gonna poke fun at Hillary, and the wife of that Kenyan guy.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If they really do have a hog "problem", shoot the hogs and donate them to all of the food pantries that are screaming for donations. Give the local butchers tax breaks for their work and you have a solution for two problems.

bubba16430

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    logansport
    If they really do have a hog "problem", shoot the hogs and donate them to all of the food pantries that are screaming for donations. Give the local butchers tax breaks for their work and you have a solution for two problems.

Actually there are organizations all over the south that do just this. What everyone must rember is that it is a TV SHOW. I watched 2 of the programs and that was enought for me. They were pretty far fetched.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have to agree, I have been fortunate to be allowed to hunt some property in Texas and in Georgia where wild hogs are really taking over. The destruction they do in an extremely short time is unbelievable till you actually see it. They reproduce really fast and migrate searching for food.
    This TV show is not exactly the way it is. Makes for good TV I guess.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    hogs

In Texas in just about a weeks time, wild hogs ate around $75,000. worth of seed corn that had just been planted. They actually walk right down the rows and eat it after it has been planted.
    The hogs are pretty selective. But in Georgia they eat sweet corn first after it is planted and then eat regular field corn after it has been planted.
    They are great to hunt.

weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Heard Ted Nugent the other day in a podcast interview. He got permission from the Governor, State Attorney General, and Game Wardens in Texas to hunt the wild hogs from a helicopter with an automatic rifle! Ted's one of those high on life guys but he was going nuts about it. I think he killed around 100 hogs and donated every one of them to food pantries.

I agree though. Wild Hogs are dangerous, why would you risk a dog or yourself getting hurt or killed trying to take them alive? On a lot of those shows they say that they are going to take them to a butcher and donate the meat. Why not just shoot the damn things?

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Hunting hogs in Texas from a helicopter is a pretty good business. It is very common to see one on a trailer going to or coming from a hog hunt. Most of the helicopters are pretty small.
    The shooters on those are excellent shots to. Not sure how many of you have ever shot from a moving helicopter with a SEMI- auto, but it can be challenging, THey use lasers and some pretty good sights, but have pretty decent kill ratios. A lot of the meat is donated and used also.

Top Bottom