Hmm. How secure is a gun box with cable...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This was on one the local boards down here in Tejas:

gallery_3475_196068_23096.jpg

Back story here: Truck Break In @ DFW

The box lock is still engaged, once the burglar pried it open far enough to see there was nothing in it, he quit.

Owner didn't remember the brand, said he bought it at Cabela's for under $50.

Most discussions seem to focus on the cable as being the weak point.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I wonder if the cable was installed correctly would've it pried open like that. Also it would be nice if we knew how much time it took to do that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I see the problem Jay, and you are spot on. Look at the loop in the OP photo. That is the smaller loop on the other end that you are supposed to pass the larger loop through to secure it to the solid object so it cant walk away.

And yes, even the best safe can be breached if given enough time and the proper tools. This is just another example of somebody doing it wrong and trying to blame the device instead of their error.

Kinda like this doofus.

bike-fail-red.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Well...somebody in Indy is missing this. My son is moving and went to the garage a block from his house where he stores his motorcycle this morning...found this while loading his bike into the trailer. Apparently, it is just laying in the grass by the alley. Anybody missing a door???

safe%20door.jpg
    [/IMG]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have never treated those kind of "Lock Boxes" as anything more than a complaint/safety net. In CA while traveling with a gun, it needs to be in a "Locked" secured case. Most of us just used a soft zipper gun pouch with those tiny little padlocks that you could basically open with a nail clipper.

I've looked hard at those cable boxes in the OP, and I had some great one handed cable cutters at work that would cut through those cables like butter. They may be a deterrent for some and may slow others down is all.

If you don't have anything else then it's a good option....I guess. :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have never treated those kind of "Lock Boxes" as anything more than a complaint/safety net. In CA while traveling with a gun, it needs to be in a "Locked" secured case. Most of us just used a soft zipper gun pouch with those tiny little padlocks that you could basically open with a nail clipper.

I've looked hard at those cable boxes in the OP, and I had some great one handed cable cutters at work that would cut through those cables like butter. They may be a deterrent for some and may slow others down is all.

I agree. These only stop the quick smash and grabbers. Since most thieves dont carry bolt cutters, it would be safe. But if the thief knew it was there ahead of time its definitely gone.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

What else would you use in a car?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I wonder if the cable was installed correctly would've it pried open like that. Also it would be nice if we knew how much time it took to do that.

That's a good question, those boxes are designed to keep your stuff safe from a quick smash and grab, or to keep a gun out of the reach of your kids in the car.

If they show up with big enough plier your box will be gone and they have all the time they want to pry it open later.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    What else would you use in a car?

I really don't know.
    The only time I de-gun is at the post office and the police station. I have a super duper custom console locker that I spent tooooo many hours designing and welding it up and I still think of it as a "time" deterrent. That's just in one vehicle. My other car I just throw my gun under my seat. :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I really don't know.
    The only time I de-gun is at the post office and the police station. I have a super duper custom console locker that I spent tooooo many hours designing and welding it up and I still think of it as a "time" deterrent. That's just in one vehicle. My other car I just throw my gun under my seat. :):

Well, first place they look is under seat and the glove compartment.

I have to leave mine in while I'm at work. The best I can do is slow them down. The work lot is covered with cameras that actually get watched.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This is just another example of somebody doing it wrong and trying to blame the device instead of their error.

Absurd. Which ever end of the cable was in, and how it was routed inside the box before the burglary, it was a inexpensive box of bendy metal that failed because a burglar applies some force, and you want to blame the victim of the burglary. I hope you don't wear your skirts too short.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Except I have a SUV.
    And I can't get out of it in the parking lot.
    If the camera sees me getting out, with the gun on my hip..... FIRED. Even to put in the back.
    So I have to reach from the driver's seat.
    Can you replace your center console with this?

Eventuly I'm going to do that to the wife's van.

Top Bottom