HK VP9 vs Walther PPQ - A review and detailed comparison...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Nice review.

I do think that comparing pistols this close in nature does become very subjective. I just found this new side-by-side review of both pistols at DefenseReview.com and it seems that the reviewers favored the PPQ over the VP9. I think that what really matters here is that whichever gun you choose in this case, you win!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I agree with this review. The PPQ seems like a better built pistol. I'm not a fan of the stamped parts or spot welds on the VP9 as well as some of the other things they did to cheapen the build. The guide rod and sights are easily replaced on the PPQ for less than the price difference. I also actually appreciate Walther using plastic sights and selling the gun for less. I'm likely going to replace the sights anyway, so why put more expensive factory sights on the gun in the first place?

I also think the mag release, slide release, and take down levers are better executed on the PPQ. The mag and slide releases were just easier to operate for me, and the take down lever is more out of the way.

The PPQ, to me, also carries better since it's slightly smaller and has a more tapered slide that's not as blocky as the VP9.

But overall, either one is a great hand gun at an awesome price. These reviews are really splitting hairs and comparing two awesome choices. Shoot both, take both apart and put them back together, and figure out what one you like.

Nice review.

I do think that comparing pistols this close in nature does become very subjective. I just found this new side-by-side review of both pistols at DefenseReview.com and it seems that the reviewers favored the PPQ over the VP9. I think that what really matters here is that whichever gun you choose in this case, you win!

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I got a PPQ right before the VP9 was readily available in gun shops. I would not hesitate to own the HK, but I love my Walther, and so I'll stay with it. I think you did an awesome review, and using the M1 PPQ was the right choice, so as to compare apples to apples. But for those of use that prefer the American style mag release, the M2 option tips the scales for the Walther, all other things being equal (which they almost are). As I said, awesome review, and great information. The important thing is, they're not Glocks, lol. In the polymer framed, striker fired pistol market, these two are 1a and 1b, with everything else struggling well behind.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    The review was written by him as well. I found it extremely useful when I decided on a VP9. I posted it here because I had not see it on this forum. I changed a few minor things but, understand... I tagged the bottom of my post because I wanted him to be recognized for the review. Just sharing and spreading around some useful info:)

Papa Tiki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    NE Indiana
    I got a chance to hold a ppq and it was hands down THE most ergonomically comfortable pistol I've held to date! Made me drool on myself a little.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    what would you say about a VP9 for competition shooting? this is including that i can get one with three mags for $650 new.

would be fine for USPSA production or IDPA. The problem will be finding a suitable holster and extra magazines. That is only reason I wouldn't recommend the VP9

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    My VP9 is getting the "match" spring set from hk parts.net put in it when I have time. My particular VP9s trigger is good but not awesome. Its a little gritty too, so I think a general cleanup job would help but thats over my ability. It hasnt smoothed up with shooting or dry firing. I also upgraded some of my mags with the +5 from Taylor Freelance. They work really well. My PPQ will take over carry duty after I mod the HK. Its trigger was always better even from the first time i dry fired it.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    As has been mentioned multiple times, a lot of this comes down to personal preference. I shot both, but found that I preferred the VP9, and that is what I bought. It was a difficult decision at the end, but the grip sealed it for me along with the trigger take up.

Once again, you can't go wrong with either pistol.

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    PPQ is one of those guns I fell in love with when I held it. It is at the top of the wish list.
    After reading this I will have check the HK for myself. Thanks for taking time for the review.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For those who enjoy the colored guns, Walther has come out with FDE and tungsten gray PPQ's. Both look pretty good, though I think I still prefer the standard black best.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    If I could get an FDE PPQ M1 I'd trade mine in! I'm kind of wanting to trade my PPQ M1 .40 for a PPQ M1 9mm version anyway.

Top Bottom