• ...and so much more!
  • Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    dogs

Do whatever it takes. Step it up a notch each time. Kids get their butts whooped if all else fails. I know I did.

:yesway:

You WOULD use an adjustable-voltage shock-collar, but NOT a rolled-up newspaper?? " Ah'm jess sayin' " Pat

I have raised quite a few dogs in my days and never once have I ever electrocuted one. A firm swat on the tail from the owner lets the dog know who is boss. Just my :twocents:

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I have a 80 pound white boxer we saved from the needle as a puppy! for some reason some breeders feel the need to eliminate them! he is a hugh part of our family and I have found that verbal communication works the best and remember to look them straight in the eyes when you talk to them. Besides if you smack the big beast he thinks you want to play!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    All the books say never hit your dog; I agree to an extent...

You shouldn't abuse your dog, but I don't think a swift swat on the butt to get them back into shape from time to time isn't a big deal.

I gave my puppy 2 swift smacks on the butt 2 weeks ago because he wasn't listening to my voice command to calm down and he listens 10x as well now as he did before.

Do not swat at your dog with your hand if your going to strike your dog use an object such as a rolled news paper or a switch, this way the dog isn't afraid at quick hand movements towards its face and body as well as you. He will see the object not you as the direct physical form of punishment.

:twocents:InDyK

I think this might be a good idea.:yesway:

A rolled up newspaper would probably be just as effective in hurting their feelings as an open hand.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Dogs are just like children sometimes it takes a little to get that correction your looking for. My parents believed in discipline not time outs and taking crap away and I believe if it wasn't for that I might be a ward of the state right now.

My animals are treated like I would if I had children they will be respectful and listen, I have never had a problem with any of the many that have been in y care.

Unless you count eating a couple pounds of peanuts but her belly punished her for that, she won't even look at a peanut.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    The only physical "punishment" a dog needs is to be put on its side so that it reveals its belly to you. This posture is submissive, and if you cause it and stand over the dog at the same time, it will understand that you are in charge. This is how a dog would dicipline a dog. Maintain that posture between the two of you until the dog relaxes - it will relax.

After this, the dog will see you as of higher status in the pack than it, and it will listen to you.

Last edited:

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    For those questioning the remote training collar/shock collar and wondering why shocking a dog is "ok" but physical abuse is not, our dog had difficulty correlating a delayed correction (walking over and giving a leash correction) with the inappropriate action. If the dog starts chewing on the edge of the couch and by the time you walk over, he stops, and then you do a physical correction, how can the dog understand what it was doing wrong? At the point of correction, he/she was doing nothing wrong.

So, the remote training collar allowed/allows us to make a needed correction from far away (across the room, across the yard, etc...) and the correction is at the time of the inappropriate action.

Just my two cents and thought I would try to clarify the use of a remote training collar.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    For those questioning the remote training collar/shock collar and wondering why shocking a dog is "ok" but physical abuse is not, our dog had difficulty correlating a delayed correction (walking over and giving a leash correction) with the inappropriate action. If the dog starts chewing on the edge of the couch and by the time you walk over, he stops, and then you do a physical correction, how can the dog understand what it was doing wrong? At the point of correction, he/she was doing nothing wrong.

So, the remote training collar allowed/allows us to make a needed correction from far away (across the room, across the yard, etc...) and the correction is at the time of the inappropriate action.

Just my two cents and thought I would try to clarify the use of a remote training collar.

I'm not one to tell anyone how to raise their dog, but it just seems like a "NOOOOO!!!!" would be just as effective.

I just feel like if it's not something I would do to my son, I shouldn't do it to my dog either(as far as discipline goes). I haven't had to paddle my kid yet, but if I ever feel he did something worthy of one, you can bet your :moon: I will.

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    The spray water bottle worked great on our wiener dog....He hates to have water on his face.. the neighbors thought i was beating the crap out of him but, it was just a few squirts of water. That being said whatever works works.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I do frequently make the comparison between dog and child, but the difference is on a sliding scale as the dog/child get older. At some point the dog stops and the child moves on. I chuckle at those here who say "don't abuse the dog" as if being physically rough with the dog is abuse. It isn't. That being said the best way is the positive reinforcement the OP said they have been doing. Each dog/breed is different and while the usual variable is the OWNER not being consistent, there will be differences in individual dogs. As I have aged and become a slight bit wiser (questionably) I am much less physical with the dog, but it will happen on occasion. The alpha/pack leader is the most successful way to go, but then some dogs won't respond to the spouse or children because the alpha has already been established. This then requires broader training. Thus far ( and I would never say never) I have not had to go the route of the electric collar, but then again my choice of dog has typically been the more mild mannered, in general.

Reading the books is good, but try to find someone who has experience in your particular breed to learn from. In short I would say you are on the right track as the grand kids are above the dog in the food chain.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Didja ever noti<e how wolves and foxes do it?

The only physical "punishment" a dog needs is to be put on its side so that it reveals its belly to you. This posture is submissive, and if you cause it and stand over the dog at the same time, it will understand that you are in charge. This is how a dog would dicipline a dog. Maintain that posture between the two of you until the dog relaxes - it will relax. After this, the dog will see you as of higher status in the pack than it, and it will listen.
    Sure, the tummy-up posture works, but it's demanded first, and instinctive later when a pup/kit/dog are young. But before they turn over, they are first intimidated and bitten BY ALPHA-DOG. There is no sin in smacking an animal, ONCE or so.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    I don't know where else to ask this:

If you were "inadvertently" I.D.'d and attacked by a "police dog"
    -- that is, a trained (and "sworn" (LOL!!) dumb-animal under the
    (supposed) control of a LEO -- and you were truly the innocent
    by-stander, and you subsequently drew and shot and you killed
    the dog, how would you expect to be prosecuted?? Pat

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

***Raises hand***

I'm confused...How does this pertain to the OT?

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond

***Raises hand***

I'm confused...How does this pertain to the OT?

I'm just confused can I get a translator please I don't speak Pig Latin.:eek:

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    ok just like kids i dont see anything wrong with a spanking to keep them in order. im not saying to kick your dog across a room, but a quick smack to the snout will get your point across. we have a large dog and he tends to bite and play rough, but we have taught him to stop when someone yells ouch. he will instantly stop. and sometimes my b/f does have to hold him down on hte ground and remind him who is in charge. after a couple hard smacks to the nose w/ a loud no all my dogs have done well. all i have to do is let out a loud NO and he will stop what he is doing and if i tell him to go lay down and that he has been a bad dog he will go to the bedroom and sulk for a few min. you have to put the dog in his place especially big male dogs.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Sure, the tummy-up posture works, but it's demanded first, and instinctive later when a pup/kit/dog are young. But before they turn over, they are first intimidated and bitten BY ALPHA-DOG. There is no sin in smacking an animal, ONCE or so.

The alpha dog doesnt necessarily bite the misbehaving dog. It might, but it isnt "required", if you will. It may happen with an adopted dog that joined the pack as an adult, but these belly up postures should start when its a puppy - along with many other demonstrations of leadership, many of which are positive: one of the most important being LEADING the daily walk. You decide when it goes to the bathroom, etc. By demonstrating that you are the pack leader, the one who makes the decisions, and by teaching it a few human words, there will be little to no need for hitting once the dog gets older.

By the way, anyone interested in dog behavior theory should really look into Cesar Milan's material. He absolutely knows what hes talking about. His tv show isnt all that great, but he has a number of good books and DVD's that have a lot of really good information in them.

Top Bottom