• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Everyone...RELAX! The odds are better that you have a coyote come up and shake your hand than have a badger come around you in the woods and attack you. Read up on the Badger and its habits, lifestyle, etc. They DO NOT even run in packs. Illinois has had badgers for many many years so Im sure Indiana has also. How many people have you ever heard of being attacked by badger around here? Excluding the idiots that put their fingers in a badgers mouth on purpose. ;)

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Yes Badger for sure. they have been here a long time. They used to dig into the side of some sand hills years ago when running trap line. Accidentally snared a big one years ago. Called the Game Warden, and he came out to check it out. Said it was the biggest one he had seen. They are fierce of cornered. Pretty awesome animals really.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Badgers are chubby, ill-tempered weasels.

Too bad they can't get along with everyone like their cousins the otters.

weasels
    ferrets/ermine
    fishers
    wolverines
    badgers
    skunks
    otters
    martens
    minks

WEASELS!

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Saw one up on our place in Angola a few years back while der hunting. Only saw it the one morning, never saw it again. It was pretty neat to see.

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    My bet is we will be seeing more in the future. In a way it is intresting to see the game migration over the last several decades. They are thick out west and livestock farms aren't real fond of the holes. I wouldn't want to corner one. Like most things, give them a little room and they will cause you no harm.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I see them in ID & MT all the time. In any pasture that has gophers, you'll find a badger nearby. Mean suckers, but theys rather avoid people.
    they are protected in Indiana because of low numbers, not protected out west.
    pound for pound id say they're the second meanest critten in n. America (wolverine being first) (before the peanut gallery chimes in, i said pound for pound... but i wouldnt wanna mess with either, or a wolf or brown bear for that matter)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I see them in ID & MT all the time. In any pasture that has gophers, you'll find a badger nearby. Mean suckers, but theys rather avoid people.
    pound for pound id say they're the second meanest critten in n. America (wolverine being first) (before the peanut gallery chimes in, i said pound for pound... but i wouldnt wanna mess with either, or a wolf or brown bear for that matter)

Don't forget the North American Rhinoceros. They're an exceptionally ill-tempered and tricky species.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    pound for pound id say they're the second meanest critten in n. America (wolverine being first)...

^This.
    Im 56 years old and I've known badgers are indigenous to Indiana for as long as I can remember.
    I've never seen one in the wild, but reports of them, along with newspaper articles/pictures have verified their presence here for decades.
    Mean little suckers alright, but so anti-social you almost never see them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ^This.
    Im 56 years old and I've known badgers are indigenous to Indiana for as long as I can remember.
    I've never seen one in the wild, but reports of them, along with newspaper articles/pictures have verified their presence here for decades.
    Mean little suckers alright, but so anti-social you almost never see them.

O.K. I saw a badger today, about 9:30am in Tippecanoe county.
    Good sized too. I'd guess he/she ran about 20-25lbs. Very low to the ground, and silent as a ghost.
    There's a first time for everything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There were some out north of Cartersburg in the late 60's early 70's. We saw more than 1 of them when we would hike back into the woods and camp. Area is all built up now.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    you dont need to worry,I am from northern michigan , lived up there for 4 years, they are highly secretive, and stay very very low on radar.As some have said, extremely vicious.

Top Bottom