• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Ethan Place was the Fallujah owner. (IIRC. Place is the last name for sure, first name, not as sure. Heck, there was more than one hero from Iraq in that show).

Very awesome show.

.50 cal + sniper = "pink mist"

"Be polite, be professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

Only caught the first 15 minutes of the m16 show, had to go to bed to drive in to work. :(

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Wish they'd included Simo Hayha, though. That guy was the bee's knees by anyone's standard. I think he's still got the highest number of confirmed kills, but it cost him, he's missing most of his lower jaw. Great story, though. He's probably my favorite, with White Feather a close second.

I'm not familiar with Simo Hayha and his accomplishments, but the all-time record holder is a Russian sniper. They did a movie about his exploits called Enemy At The Gates. During the Nazi siege of Stalingrad, he personally accounted for over 200 confirmed kills. The Germans were terrified of him... and rightly so.
    I'll check my sources and get back to you on his name & stats.

Got it.
    Vasily Zaytsev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited for being humbly WRONG....
    It looks like Simo Hayha was one really serious shooter.... over 700 confirmed kills!!!!! THAT'S scary.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'm not familiar with Simo Hayha and his accomplishments, but the all-time record holder is a Russian sniper. They did a movie about his exploits called Enemy At The Gates. During the Nazi siege of Stalingrad, he personally accounted for over 200 confirmed kills. The Germans were terrified of him... and rightly so.
    I'll check my sources and get back to you on his name & stats.

Got it.
    Vasily Zaytsev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited for being humbly WRONG....
    It looks like Simo Hayha was one really serious shooter.... over 700 confirmed kills!!!!! THAT'S scary.

Yeah, I liked Enemy at the Gates, although I admit I didn't know Zaytsev's true name. Pretty cool that they both used Mosin-Nagants (or modified) versions of it. But yeah, Simo Hayha pretty much owned the Soviets. It's not just that he has the highest kill count to me - it's that he did it with iron sights in snow within something like three months. I mean, the man was knocking down targets left and right and even got shot in the face and still lived. Then again, I like skirmishes like the Winter War - smaller forces facing vastly outnumbering forces and then trouncing them soundly. Regardless, I think we can agree - I don't think either you nor I would want to be facing any of them in combat: Canadian, Finnish, American, Russian, or German... snipers are the best of the best of the best at taking the long shot, and have skills which surpass nationality, in my opinion... impressive skills are impressive no matter what part of this planet they trained in.

:patriot:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    need Military Channel in HD, this standard stuff sux!

Most of the older videos (WWI, WWII, Korea & Viet Nam) wouldn't have much difference in Hi Def. The newer shows should definately go HD.

P.S. I don't like the "colorized" versions of the old videos. It looks too artificial and cartoonish.:twocents:

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I had already started watching 2 weeks of hell so I wanted to finish that. I was flipping between that and Behind the Crosshairs. I'm sure History will replay it and I can watch it all the way through. The M16 show was quite amazing as well, to think our troops have used the same weapon since Vietnam is pretty cool!!

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I wasn't all that impressed. I think they wasted a lot of time on reenactments and trying to recreate the shots on the range. History Channel also has an annoying habit of repeating upwards of 5 minutes of programming after each commercial break.

I wish it had been more of the interview-style retelling of the individual snipers' experiences.
    That footage of Hathcock was awesome though! I would have watched 2 hours of just that video of him talking.
    The scope-shot kill he made in Vietnam was cool, but not nearly as amazing as some of his other feats at that time.
    Read his biography; he was incredible.

As far as sniper shows go, Top Sniper still takes the cake for me. That series is amazing! I hope there's another season.

Top Bottom