• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I bought a Kel-Tec in .40 recently. I took a bunch 'o guns out with some buddies to go shooting and the Kel-Tec was the star of the show. Everyone kept wanting to shoot it, and it performed perfectly. Great little carbine.

I've never held a HiPoint.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have both. I keep the KelTec folded up in a bag with my Glock and a bunch of magazines for when we go on a road trip somewhere. The HiPoint is what I take out plinking. It is just that much fun.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Join the HK snobs, 94, or clone and or USC. ;) skip the bs and dump some jack. :D

After all its just money right?
    :dunno:

OctRangetrip072-Copy.jpg

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've owned both, and had the Sub 2000 in 9mm for 2 months and took it back because of these things, cheek weld, sights, bolt location, ergonomics and poor locking mech (plastic).

Then 2 years ago I bought my Hi-Point and put a ATI stock in it and a Holo red dot and now not only do I have a fun shooting little carbine, it'll knock holes in 6 inch round paper plates all day @ 75+ yards, and use +p ammo with it, something the Sub 2000 can't use if memory serves me correct.

Plus you can't go wrong with a no questions asked lifetime warranty even if you're the 10th owner.

I'm also thinking of getting a Hi-Point 4095 for som .40 cal fun.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I love my 995 TS. It is just fun to shoot but 50 yards is the limit on tight groups. With the laser/light it is a great gun for the home. Add a red dot or cheap reflex for range or outdoors.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Not a huge fan of either, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the sub 2000. Kept one under the seat of the truck for years. My advice is save up and buy the Beretta cx4! Dis-assembly, reliability, and ergonomics put the storm in a completely different league of carbine.
    I have never even heard of a 995 that was not reliable and I could have one of each for less than the Storm. :dunno:

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    You do know that HP makes a 45 cal version of the carbine - ammo is more expensive but for the home - it might be a consideration over the 9mm or 40cal

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I have been looking at both of these also. I decided on the sub due to it accepting my Glock mags. and I like the portability option in offers(not a huge deal).

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    This is an interesting thread. The HP 995 & KT S2K are compared several other places on the net, with the same result. It seems to be just about a draw. I like what I have read about both of them, for different reasons, but also must make a decision. I guess in the end, I'll but one and if it doesn't make me happy, I will post it for sale and buy the other one. Thanks for all of your information.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have never even heard of a 995 that was not reliable and I could have one of each for less than the Storm. :dunno:

Reliability is going to become an issue if you want a high capacity magazine. Your options with Hi-Point is going to be pro-mag:puke:. Sub 2000's use Glock, and of course Beretta with the Storm. IMO a major fun factor with a automatic handgun caliber-ed carbine, is carrying a lot of ammo internally within the weapon.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The HP 995s are working fine with the new Pro-Mag 15 rder out since spring( model HIP-A3) according to the majority of user reports on HPT and HPFF. I'm getting flawless/jam free performance from every one of mine. The 1911 platform is vastly popular and one would think a carbine mag compatible would be a sure seller but it wasn't the case for the Marlin Camp 45. True, the Camp 45 had other issues that led to it's poor sales but I think the 45 acp is just a sort of non starter in carbines in general. Ruger never even bothered with a 45 . HP is simply keeping it simple here, ie mag sharing with their own 45 pistol.

Last edited:

leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I was looking at the Hi Point, shot a friends and thought it shot nicely too. But I think everyone here has swayed my decision towards the Kel-Tec for the common magazines reasons. Glad I read this!

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I thought I would like the Kel Tec, but was wrong... I have held the Hi Point a number of times and just can't force myself to suffer the humiliation yet, but at some point I know I will break down and buy one.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have both of these and can honestly say that it is strictly personal preference. The ergonomics of the HP are way better, and with the newer stock you can make them look pretty decent.

HP995_newlook2.jpg

(yep, the barrel is threaded 1/2x28)

The KT on the other hand comes in handy with it's fold down feature and Glock mag compatibility so you really can't lose either way. Just do what I did and buy both.

Top Bottom