• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJ45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Never been a big fan of hipoint but shot a friends 995 over the wknd and liked it. so im wanting to get a 9mm carbine now but cant decide between the hp 995 or a keltech sub 2000. not wanting to spend awhole lot on something like this and i understand the 995 is cheaper. anyone have experience with both of these and have opinions?

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I would say the Kel-Tech just because you can get one that uses glock mags! Buy you a few 33 rounders and you can have some real fun!:D

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Keltec has the advantages of common magazines with several models of pistols; they can be had with Glock 17, Beretta 92 or S&W 59 series mags, and folds in half for low key storage or carry. The trade off is fair ergonomics. It can be difficult for some shooters to achieve a good cheek weld.

The Hi-points are ugly but apparently very reliable, reasonably accurate and inexpensive. The newer stock style is almost appealing.

If your intended use for the rifle is benefited by the common mag and folding of the Keltec, get that. If this is mainly a fun shooter or range toy with some personal defense use, the Hi-Point seems capable.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I only have experience with the Sub2000 and it leaves a lot to be desired. The butt of the stock is too small to get a comfortable cheek-to-stock weld; one has to really lower the head. The front sight and its adjustability are attrocious. Just hope the carbine is not too far off zero because the plastic thread on the front sight will wear off. The trigger is typical for a Kel-Tec--a piece of crap.

All this said, if you need a small folding carbine, the Sub2000 is hard to beat. I have seen people have successfully replaced the front sight assembly with HiPoint or AK front sights.

I actually like this carbine a lot; I just wish Kel-Tec would have paid more attention to quality.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I say Kel Tec . The Hi Point is good for some one who wants to play around but the Kel Tec in my opinion is a better gun. true on the front sight but a miner fact compared to the past problems with the extractor on the HiPoint. Yes they corrected the problem on the newer HIPoints but it is a fact to be seen and known. I will also note that the Kel Tec is easier to clean.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Kel-Tec v Hi-Point

Between the two I would lean towards the Kel-Tec. The Hi-Point has better ergonomics and accuracy. The lack of hi cap magazines turns me off though. I've shot the old and new Hi-Point.

The Kel-Tec can use Glock or Beretta magazines. Folds in half for easy storage and transport. Price point being similar I lean towards the Kel-Tec.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I am a bit biased as I have only shot and owned a KT; but I love mine. The ergos are certainly "different", but I don't really think they are bad. Plus I can put the frigging thing in a briefcase! I took it out to the pistol range and prompty ate out the center of all of my targets. I'll have to stretch it's legs a bit next time, but it's my favorite gun to shoot by far.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The Kel-Tec is hard to get a cheek weld on and slaps you in the face when you fire, because you are just on a tube. Adding a rubber cover to that helps (some supplier sells these.) It really needs a better front sight. That said, I kept my 9mm Glock version all on a pie plate at 100 yards. Definitely accurate enough for me.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I like my Sub2k. I have three 33 rounders as well as three 17 rounders. You can have a ton of fun running through those in a couple of minutes!

It shoots good, and I havent had many problems. My front site was missing a metal collar and eventually slipped. I called Kel-Tec and they told me to Lock-Tight it, if I had other problems or simply didnt want to, they would fix it. I opted for the Lick-Tight and it held, even under some heavy shooting (shot 150 rounds as fast as I could, the barrel got uncomfortably warm, but it held). I eventually cracked the frame while shooting some +P round I had bought for my pistol. I honestly dont know when it exactly cracked, I may have even shot several times (in the same range session) without noticing. I found it when I went to clean the rifle later that day. I sent it back to KelTec dirty, and they replaced the entire gun (with the same serial number). I had it back in three weeks. Not to bad.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ugh, I tried to order a sub2k yesterday in g22 .40 s&w. No one has one in stock. I'm sad. I really want the Kel-Tec. I have owned a 9mm hipoint in the past and it gave me nothing but problems. BTW, the hipoint I speak of was when they first came out. They seem to have improved since then.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Never been a big fan of hipoint but shot a friends 995 over the wknd and liked it. so im wanting to get a 9mm carbine now but cant decide between the hp 995 or a keltech sub 2000. not wanting to spend awhole lot on something like this and i understand the 995 is cheaper. anyone have experience with both of these and have opinions?
    I love my 995. Never had a misfeed or a failure to fire. Still I would love a sub 2000! A nice little carbine that will fit in my briefcase would just be too very cool! Since I already own a 995, if i ever get a sub 2000 I will go with the .40 cal. :yesway: to the higher capacity mags, as well!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ugh, I tried to order a sub2k yesterday in g22 .40 s&w. No one has one in stock.

Wish you were closer; I'd hook you right up. :(

To the OP - I've fired both the SUB-2K and the 995; both are accurate and reliable. The Hi-Point has better ergonomics and lower recoil; the SUB-2K is lighter and more portable with WAY better magazine options. Detail stripping either one is a colossal PITA and should be avoided. I wouldn't consider either gun to be rugged/durable enough for bet-your-life-on-it duty.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I have both a 995TS ( 2 actually)and the S2K Glock 17 type. If mag cap is everything and the only thing get the KT. The HP is more comfortable to shoot, more reliable with any type ammo and needs no TLC as does the Subby. The Subby needs add ons just to hang a light. The HP has numerous rails, the under forearm one is readily removable. KT has no last round bolt hold open, HP does. The new Pro Mag 15 rder model HIP-A3 for the HP is a good mag, all mine work great. Kel Tec sights are easily damaged while adjusting, HP's are easily adjusted with a small screwdriver and more robust as well as more precise. The stores in my area are full of both, a 995ts will run $200 -$225 new and a Subby will go just under $300.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like them both and they both have their pros and cons. I have the sub2k because it shares mags with my Glock handguns. I also like the much higher capacity I get with the KelTec. Good luck with your decision.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Not a huge fan of either, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the sub 2000. Kept one under the seat of the truck for years. My advice is save up and buy the Beretta cx4! Dis-assembly, reliability, and ergonomics put the storm in a completely different league of carbine.

Top Bottom