• ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    I think we need to understand what is being stated. Those articles and such are only discussing oxidation, a chemical reaction that is causing heat and ultimately fire. Oxygen in and of itself is what the OP was speaking about. Oxygen remains non-flammable and does not explode; regardless of the discussion we all just had.

Oil or grease on threads of an O2 tank "may" ignite, but it is not because of the oxygen. Oxygen will only intensify the fire ONLY as long as the fuel is
    available.

Here is an example. Take standard O2 tubing (plastic) and connect it to an oxygen source (flowmeter or such). Turn the oxygen on and then light the other end of the tubing. The tubing will burn very hot and very fast (torch like) as long as fuel is available. In this example, the fire will burn only till it reaches the flowmeter, then will stop because there is no more fuel. (of course this would be a controlled experiment)

Another example (I do not recommend) is to light a cigarette and put to the side. Breath 100% O2 for about 30 seconds (or less) then put the O2 OFF. Place the cigarette into your mouth and exhale ONLY (do not inhale). Watch how quickly that cigarette burns.

Oxygen will accelerate the burning, it is NOT flammable.

I think we have drifted away from the OP's initial post.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom