• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yesterday I participated in a defensive handgun course in Lima OH....worth every nickle and a great instructor...the old guy next to me was shooting a relatively new High Point sub compact in 9mm....

Over the course of the day and shooting 250 or so rounds I never saw a hand gun FTE, stovepipe, double feed and in general shoot like crap than that High Point...I am not sure of the model.

The class instructor who was an outstanding shooter even ran the gun and couldn't get it to group....I have never owned, handled or shot a High Point but it was pretty obvious to me that I wouldn't buy one let alone trust my life to one....

This is just my observation of an amatuer shooter with an inexpensive gun....but it convinced me not to have one...

For what it is worth there were 4 people shooting the XD subs in 40s&w and they shot great and were very accurate.:rockwoot:

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    If it was brand new then that was the problem. First off, its Hi Point. Second, Since he was at a training course chances are he might have been a new shooter. Perhaps he was limp wristing the gun. I have a C9, the model you are talking about, and I had 3 stovepipes through the first 100 rounds or so. After that, no problems at all. I really like mine, just because of its value. It was a good first handgun for me, and launched me into loving to shoot, and taught me alot about shooting handguns. Its not a glock, or XD, but it also is a fraction of the cost. I would buy another one in a heartbeat, having actually EXPERIENCED one for myself.

On a sidenote, their customer service and warranty is second to none...

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hey don't knock all Hi-Points, the carbines are very good and there is a ton of users on here that will testify to that.

My 995 has been retro fitted with an ATI stock and is one heck of a shooting carbine and I've never had any function problem what so ever.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Hey don't knock all Hi-Points, the carbines are very good and there is a ton of users on here that will testify to that.

My 995 has been retro fitted with an ATI stock and is one heck of a shooting carbine and I've never had any function problem what so ever.

:+1: Never have handled a Hi-Point handgun, but love the 995. Mine has also been fitted with an ATI stock, and shoots great. Fired about 600 rds through it so far and never had a jam.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm with Indy Beerman. My HP 995ts in 9mm is just a great carbine. I've not had that first burp out of it, and it shoots whatever I feed it. I do not have any experience with their handguns, however.

I'm beginning to think a lot of purchases are simply a crap shoot. Most work but some don't, and then you get to spend time, money and emotional energy trying to make it right. Whenever I bring a new one home, I think my pucker factor can be picked up on a reichtor scale until I get the first box thru it. It should'nt be that way, but it is.

NRA Lifer since 1971

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Those of you who own a carbine, but have never owned a Hi Point handgun... you should do yourselves a favor and look at them more closely.

The carbine is essentially a HiPoint handgun inside of an outer casing. The is little if any difference in how they operate. The notion that the Carbine is somehow superior, or more reliable is a pipe dream. The Hi Point operating system is what it is; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... but its all ok, because there customer service is so good. :rolleyes:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    My brother has a hi-point pistol loaded in 45... Pretty sure he is going to trade/sell it for a nicer 9MM. I keep trying to tell him that you get what you pay for.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I've fired probably 500 rounds through my High-Point .380 and it's jammed maybe twice, maybe. Any manufacturer can make a single poorly made pistol. Also any n00b can screw a gun up. I've seen military weapon systems not group, FTE, etc. Hell it's a true statement that I've seen more M-4's FTE, miss-feed, not group than I have any High-Point. So just because you see one bad one, doesn't mean their all bad.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not really a fan of the 'you get what you pay for' philosophy. Sure, there are junk guns out there, but there are some that are much better than their cost would indicate. The large frame Bersas are some of the nicest shooters I'm fired and you would have a hard time spending $400 on one. I have a RIA 45 compact that compares nicely to my Kimber Ultra Carry as well. Now that the Kimber is broken in, I can feel the difference, but still, the RIA is a heck of a value for the money.

jaramia20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Michigan City
    I have a Hi-point in 9mm . It is what it is , a CHEAP gun I use to plink and nothing more . I picked it up from a friend that need the $75 I gave him for it more then the gun . It sits in the gun safe most of the time . It's to big to carry and it jams to much to trust my life to , but it's still fun to " kill " paper with .

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Those of you who own a carbine, but have never owned a Hi Point handgun... you should do yourselves a favor and look at them more closely.

The carbine is essentially a HiPoint handgun inside of an outer casing. The is little if any difference in how they operate. The notion that the Carbine is somehow superior, or more reliable is a pipe dream. The Hi Point operating system is what it is; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... but its all ok, because there customer service is so good. :rolleyes:

Ahhhh geezz did ya get the part that it's retro fitted with a ATI stock, it didn't get that way by using the "I Dream of Jeanie head bob." So I think I've see the inside of it while putting that ATI stock on.

In the entire time I've had it since it was new, I've put over 1500 rounds through it, no failure to feed, fire, eject. Nothing, nada, ate everything I've fed it. That includes over 10 different 9mm loads and styles.

Now the above is not Paco Purple for sarcasm, but I get darn tired of crap being blown at me for owning this cheap but fine carbine that I would gladly put up against the Ruger CX4 Storm.

The handguns are a different beast, and the carbine is worth every penny spent on it.

So unless you've owned a carbine or you have some magical insight that myself or other Hi-Point carbine owners on here don't know about or just blatantly blind and oblivious to it's defect, cool your jets and find someone nearby to let you shoot it so you may change your mind about it.

Frankly I think I'll throw this in with the same comments Taurus's get.
    " I heard this from my brother's sister's aunt who has a milkman that lives across the street from a blind man who talked to little 6 year old Johnny that got this from his teacher that talked to some guy on the internet. Because I heard it there, IT HAS TO BE TRUE!"

:wallbash:

On a side note:

Hondo the original OP said:

Over the course of the day and shooting 250 or so rounds I never saw a hand gun FTE, stovepipe, double feed and in general shoot like crap than that High Point...I am not sure of the model.

The class instructor who was an outstanding shooter even ran the gun and couldn't get it to group....I have never owned, handled or shot a High Point but it was pretty obvious to me that I wouldn't buy one let alone trust my life to one....
    Notice that the instructor couldn't get it to group, so it's evidently that the noob shooting it was doing an array of limpwristing and other things to cause the problems, because he did not note that the instructor had any FTE, Stovepipe dbl feed or other problem, just couldn't get it to group tight.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I was in the same class as Hondo and I believe we both feel lucky to be alive. As Hondo mentioned there was a gentlemen shooting a hand grenade (I mean Hi Point). He muzzle swept people on the line a few times, kept putting his finger on the trigger when he wasn't supposed to, didn't listen to the instructor's commands, wasn't wearing his ears 50% of the time (probably why he couldn't hear the instructor), and the list goes on. He reminded of a typical gun show/store commando.

The instructor was going to kick him out (which if it were me I might have) but he did mention to some of us on the side that this is the kind of shooter that needs the training the most.

Nobody here can convince me to ever buy or shoot a Hi Point, my life is worth more than 125 bucks. I have heard all the rumors and this just put it in stone for me. As a matter of fact when the instructor shot the Hi Point I was standing next to him on the line and backed up when he brought the gun to low ready. Didn't even realize I did it, the instructor laughed when I moved away and then I realized what I had done.

The only other gun that had problems was a HK, don't recall the model but it was having problems. It could have been ammo related as he was shooting some Wolfe. The 1911, a G19 (mine), the insructor's personal G19, and 4 XD 40's all shot flawless. Heck, the instructor even through his personal G19 on the ground (gravel) and no problems, just saying :cool:.

Great class that focused on drawing from concealment, point shooting (shooting without using the sights), and then fine tuning accuracy by focusing on that front sight. Couple drills were run to show how fast someone can run and reach you before you can draw and fire two shots, kind of makes you think.

ETA: The instructor only shot 5 rounds through it, I'm betting if he shot a few more we would start to see some problems.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Ahhhh geezz did ya get the part that it's retro fitted with a ATI stock, it didn't get that way by using the "I Dream of Jeanie head bob." So I think I've see the inside of it while putting that ATI stock on.

In the entire time I've had it since it was new, I've put over 1500 rounds through it, no failure to feed, fire, eject. Nothing, nada, ate everything I've fed it. That includes over 10 different 9mm loads and styles.

Now the above is not Paco Purple for sarcasm, but I get darn tired of crap being blown at me for owning this cheap but fine carbine that I would gladly put up against the Ruger CX4 Storm.

The handguns are a different beast, and the carbine is worth every penny spent on it.

So unless you've owned a carbine or you have some magical insight that myself or other Hi-Point carbine owners on here don't know about or just blatantly blind and oblivious to it's defect, cool your jets and find someone nearby to let you shoot it so you may change your mind about it.

Frankly I think I'll throw this in with the same comments Taurus's get.
    " I heard this from my brother's sister's aunt who has a milkman that lives across the street from a blind man who talked to little 6 year old Johnny that got this from his teacher that talked to some guy on the internet. Because I heard it there, IT HAS TO BE TRUE!"

:wallbash:

My thoughts exactly. I had mine apart when I swapped stocks and have had it apart many times since to clean it. It operates on a simple blowback design, thats why it has that big chunk of steel for a bolt. I got mine in a trade, wouldn't have bought it because was to damn ugly and I've always heard all the badmouthing about Hi-Points. After I got it I took it out shooting. Shot great at 25yrds and 50 yrds. I was even hitting a 6 inch plate at 100 yrds. Ive shot about 600 rds through it and it has never jammed no matter what I feed it. Its alot of fun to shoot.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    My 995 is great!

My C9 is Good. IT has over 100 rounds down in and once I had it sighted in, it will shoot as well as a p95 and my XD. I dont have any FTE or FTF or Stovepipes. I had some issues when I first got it. THink what you will, but mine will not be sold.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Most of the problems with Hi-Point's are mag issues... I did "real" research on these guns before I purchased one and then two... I own a carbine and a pistol both in 40S&W love them both. That being said the pistol is way to heavy to be lugging around as a carry gun, but I wouldn't have a problem going for it if I needed to use it to defend myself. And yes they are very fugly... cant wait for the TS stock for my carbine though they look so much better... since ATI doesn't make a stock for the 4095.
    its a 995 but will look the same in 40.
    fgLG.gif

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I've got a Hi Point .380 and have not had any problems with it. It's an accurate gun that's great to shoot. Like other's have said, sometimes every company puts out a bad gun.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Your title intrigued me, but instead of saying "High Point ....not for me", you might have well said "Sodomy... not for me".
    :):

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I have both the C9 and the 995 carbine and I have had no problems with either one. I've shot the C9 maybe 300 times and the 995 around 200 times and they both go bang for me. These two 9mm's are the only 9mm's I own. I know they are not suppose to be of high quality, but for the price and also they are made in the USA... I like them for mainly the fun factor in just shooting them....

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    A guy that worked LP with me got into a scruff with a shoplifter. His hi-point fell out of his holster, discharged, and gave him a vasectomy. He's luck to be alive. Not to say its the guns fault. (i think it was mother nature doing us all a favor really, he shouldnt be reproducing) That could happen with any weapon, i know. Just made me think of it.
    Anyone have any accidental discharges with other weapons when dropped?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom