• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Would someone be so kind to tell me what is the attraction so many have on INGO for High Points and Mosin Nagants. They both look like they were hammered out of an old Buick bumper. I've experianced better trigger pulls on 1960's vintage BB guns. And resale value is deplorable. I realize that I am old school. You name it and I have either owned one or shot one in the last 40+ years. Am I missing something? Forgive me, but I can't warm to to these clunkers.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Are you talking about the Mosin rifle or the Nagant revolver? They are both historical firearms. That's the attraction for me.

Agreed, I wouldn't want to shoot a Mosin all the time but it takes me back in time and helps me apriciate the new guns we have...... plus It gives us a reason to get together, hang out and shoot.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I approach a piece of equipment as a solution to a problem. In that sense, both of these firearms is an elegant solution to a problem. On the Highpoint the problem is how to build a reliable yet inexpensive firearm that can be massed produced for commercial success. The Mosin is much the same except it needed to be produced and successful under wartime pressures. Both of these firearms are fine examples of solutions.

I mean, compare the Highpoint to the Jennings. Or compare the Mosin to a Arisaka.

Now, with the Mosin we add history to the mix. I mean, these are the VERY rifles used in WWII. Their very wood holds sweat of the peasant soldier fighting the invader in it! That is cool.

Having said that, I don't currently own either - mostly due to space issues. I have owned a mosin, a enfield, a mauser, and an 03A3 and of the three I liked shooting the mosin the least. That being said, DUDE you can arm a street with these with ammo for the cost of one really decked out AR15. For some people that may not mean alot, but for some (russians and poor gun owners alike) that means a great deal.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't care for either but I don't see what the problem is if people do like them.

They're guns!! And INGOers like guns!

Do a search for "hi point" or "mosin" and you'll see lots of threads where people tell you exactly why they like them.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    With the Mosins I also go:dunno:, but to each his own, I probably like some guns that make others go:dunno: , with the High Points I have seen (on Ingo)some reviews that say despite their price they are reliable! I also have heard that they are not! I have not owned or shot one but I tend to lean toward guns I have shot, guns recommended by others who have experience with a particular brand, guns that are obviously well made by looking at the quality of craftsmanship and sometimes "by golly" guns that are just a good deal! I also like guns that were shown & told to me by the older generation characters from my childhood, I cannot erase the memories of a well oiled dark grained stock L.C SMITH side by side or an ESSEX or a BELGIUM BROWNING or model 12 WINCHESTER in the hands of the hunters I admired so in my youth, they occasionally would also show a BABY BROWNING or S & W revolver or PEARL HANDLED COLT REVOLVER they kept tucked away in their hip pocket or under the car seat, now if I could only afford to buy some of those beauties:)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They both look like they were hammered out of an old Buick bumper.

I used to think so too, then I started reading up on them and bought one and the history behind them is fascinating. For instance, the M44 I picked up is a 1944 with a receiver from another armory because they helped the Tula armory after they moved back to their plant when the Germans retreated.

All guns are simple machines and the Russians had the ability to produce armament that was simple to produce and easy to maintain. They were practical. They may not be everyones cup of tea but where else can you own a weapon from WWII for so little? The price puts history in the hands of almost anyone that can scrape up a hundred bucks.

Last edited:

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Point well taken on the history and the low cost of the Mosins. Some fellers consider guns just as a tool. I truely enjoy looking for just the right gun for a particular need. ie, pocket auto, carry weapon, truck gun, deer gun, bird gun, etc. But best of all, I love finding those investment grade guns at an affordable price. There are tons of guns in closets and dresser drawers that appreciate like gold. I guess I have a differant appreciation for them. Thanks for all the replys.

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    hi points are good guns to start out with for the beginner. It was my first gun, heck im young and cant afford to put a lot of shots down range, so the hi point was perfect :)

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i like my mosin... i dont think the one i got has seen many rounds cause it shoots like new and is extremely accurate (1942 91/30)

jmorgan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Fishers, Indiana
    I have talked to some of the guys that I work with and they all laugh and tell me that I should go out and buy a Hi-Point pistol. I ask them why they are laughing and they tell me that Hi-Points are about the worst gun in the world to own. Granted I don't know alot about guns, but a gun is a gun if it goes boom when you pull the trigger and it doesn't jamb up, then why not have one. You never know, a Hi-Point pistol in a time of need may save your life if.

Of course I haven't run out and got one yet or have plans to, but from what I gather they are cheap and they go boom. What's the problem?

DIRTY HARRY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    To Some, isf it isn;t a status symble then I guess it doesn't protect you!

I own many and the HP C( is just one in the bunch, but still(for the price of a case of ammo) a very dgood value, and did I mention(again) AMERICAN MADE!!!!!!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Britton had a .45ACP Hi-Point at his store yesterday. The thing was not only butt-ugly, but it was so top-heavy that it was actually unpleasant to hold.

Top Bottom