• ...and so much more!
  • derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    So, I was at Pop Guns earlier (have a range membership so it's free!!) shooting and there was a guy in the bay next to me with his girlfriend shooting a Hi Point .45. There were 7 other people in there besides me and every dag gone one of them wanted to know what kind of gun that was and if they could shoot it. I swear I was the only one shooting after all these folks stopped to admire the Hi-Point. Now, this was the girlfriends first time shooting so her boyfried was giving her very good advice regarding grip, stance, breathing, etc. He also talked to her about range safety before they came through the second door to the range - I was actually behind them in line to sign in.

I'm telling you, we got in there and when they started shooting that Hi Point, it was like someone pulled out a Nighthawk Custom 1911 or something. To give everyone some context, here were the demographics

An older gentlemen and his young soon - Dad was shooting an assortment of guns - 1911, semi-auto, etc. and his son was shooting a Ruger MKII 22lr

Another older gentlement shooting a 22lr (Sig Mosquito I think), 1911, and Glock

Two idiots shooting the rental guns with one hand and missing the paper (not the silhouette - they were missing the paper) @ about 15 feet. Everyone on the range gave them advice on how to shoot the right way - even one of the guys that was behind the counter came in and gave them so good coaching.

I was in there shooting a Ruger MKIII, Sig P229, and M&P

Another guy (probably mid 30's) and his son shooting a XD, Glock, and 22LR.

Guess there is such a thing as Hi-Point-Itus and they all had it. Even the kids wanted to shoot it.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Never had a problem with a hipoint here. anytime someone shoots mine they are always surprised. I wont be changing my EDC Glock to a hipoint, but for what they are I cant complain.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Never any problems out of my Hi Point either. I even had a LEO over shooting his Glock ask to shoot my Hi Point and he enjoyed it.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    They do function for a low purchase price. Big difference from the original Stallard or Haskell. The American Rifleman had a great review on the 45 and they said it was very reliable and shot a great group with Black Hills 230 grain JHP's. No FTF or FTE.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Only reason I sold my Hi-Point pistol was to fund a Mosin I don't plan on ever getting rid of my carbine. I like the idea of having a pistol and rifle in the same caliber. I am sure I will build an AR in 5.56 soon but will hold on to my 40S&W carbine!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    And it is possible for them to look good too!

DSC00266.jpg

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Figured I'd take some ribbing for that. :D That's OK, I can take it. All I know is everybody still ducks when I sweep them with it! :n00b:

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    ...All I know is everybody still ducks when I sweep them with it! :n00b:

Best laugh of the day, thanks!

I hear the .45 is the best of the bunch. When the .45 carbine comes out it might be time to get the carbine/pistol combo for giggles just to prove I'm not a gun snob.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have some older Russian 9mm and I was shooting it in a couple of pistols I have and every few rounds there would be a FTF. They worked great with American Eagle ammo. So I tried the Russian ammo in my new Hi-Point carbine and had no problems...That thing ate everything I was feeding into it, with no problems at all!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I've never heard any complaints about Hi-Points...I buy 'em half a dozen at a time and sell one each week. I'd rather have a Hi-Point than a Cobra/Jennings/drive-by-again-guns.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    You had to be there to fully appreciate this. It was like the whole place just came to a complete stop. It was actually the first time that I didn't see a High-Point in the case @ Popguns but I bet if they had one in .45, they could've auctioned it off for double the price. Never shot a High-Point and had never even seen the .45 but sounds like a solid weapon that has quite a following.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I went to Pop-Guns for the first time today and it seems like the people that are regulars there are quick to chat up the other people at the range. I took my wife and met a couple of really nice guys who were very helpful to my wife and her new handgun (a FN not a high point) and they were full of information. One even offered to let us fire one of his very pricey guns. I was so impressed with the place I'll probably get the range pass.

Top Bottom