• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    This weekend at the 1500 I'll have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in my pockets and I was thinking about a cheap plinker that I could play with. The Hi-Point Carbine popped into my head and I've been thinking about em, specifically the 995 TS 4X optic ready version with no front sight, but I was looking around and they seem to be somewhat non existent. I see other models with the front sight removed but I was wanting to ask if anyone on here was familiar with these rifles? Can I remove the front sight on the other 995 models? Im not sure about details, but I wanna put a low power optic on it for close range (50 yards or so) plinking. I have this random idea floating around in my head and it wont go away.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Yes you can remove the front sight on them all. They are just held on by set screws and slide into a grove in the plastic forend so it goes back in the same spot each time. These are great little plinkers and are actually pretty darn accurate. I had one and it ate any ammo I put through it without a singlr failure in 700-800 rounds.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Both rear and front sights come off easily. All models( of each caliber) are the same, only difference being in factory supplied options such as optics, forward grips, mag packages, etc.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    This weekend at the 1500 I'll have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in my pockets and I was thinking about a cheap plinker that I could play with. The Hi-Point Carbine popped into my head and I've been thinking about em, specifically the 995 TS 4X optic ready version with no front sight, but I was looking around and they seem to be somewhat non existent. I see other models with the front sight removed but I was wanting to ask if anyone on here was familiar with these rifles? Can I remove the front sight on the other 995 models? Im not sure about details, but I wanna put a low power optic on it for close range (50 yards or so) plinking. I have this random idea floating around in my head and it wont go away.

I've owned a few, for the same reasons you want one.... I'd get a mossberg 715t instead or any other .22 for that matter. Those hi-points carbines were the biggest, cheapest, bunch of crap I've ever owned firearm wise. Save yourself some anger, and buy something worthwhile.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I had one and it was missing parts when I acquired it. Highpoint stands by there products with a lifetime warranty even when you get one used. They are the best company to deal with that I have dealt with and after I installed the missing parts perfect performance. Don't be afraid of one of them.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Thank you guys, I figured they all wont be perfect but I think I may give the 995 a shot this time around. I'm not expecting a lot, but I have been interested in a cx4 since they hit the market. But alas I cannot afford one at this time. So hi-point it is!

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I've had a lot of fun plinking around with the HP carbines. They look like the guns the apes carried on the original Planet of the Apes series.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if you own a 1911 or a Glock get this.....MechTech - Home

best pistol caliber carbine out there....IMHO

here is mine 1911....45ACP

153nuc2.jpg

Last edited:

jh1978

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    I have a 995 and I would recommend against it. The magazines are horrible, I have 4 and each one has the same nose-dive issue. I even have their CM 9mm handgun and those mags do the exact same thing as well. Have a look at their forums before you commit. I can't mount any optics on my 995 because the rails are plastic and not in spec.

I've heard good things about the Kel Tec Sub 2000. It comes in the same .40 S&W or 9mm as the hi point but it takes Glock magazines (also according to their website it can take Glock 17,19 S&W 59, Beretta92 and Sig226 mags as well. I don't own one, so I can't say for sure but definitely think long and hard about the Hi Point.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I have a 995 and I would recommend against it. The magazines are horrible, I have 4 and each one has the same nose-dive issue. I even have their CM 9mm handgun and those mags do the exact same thing as well. Have a look at their forums before you commit. I can't mount any optics on my 995 because the rails are plastic and not in spec.

I've heard good things about the Kel Tec Sub 2000. It comes in the same .40 S&W or 9mm as the hi point but it takes Glock magazines (also according to their website it can take Glock 17,19 S&W 59, Beretta92 and Sig226 mags as well. I don't own one, so I can't say for sure but definitely think long and hard about the Hi Point.

Hmmm. Does anybody have any solutions? What about aftermarket mags?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've owned a few, for the same reasons you want one.... I'd get a mossberg 715t instead or any other .22 for that matter. Those hi-points carbines were the biggest, cheapest, bunch of crap I've ever owned firearm wise. Save yourself some anger, and buy something worthwhile.

Seriously? You call the 995 a piece of crap, say to get something worthwhile, then recommend a Mossberg 715?

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Seriously? You call the 995 a piece of crap, say to get something worthwhile, then recommend a Mossberg 715?

I was gonna let it lay, but I agree. Mossberg makes a good field/workhorse shotgun. but I have heard and read many mixed reviews of the 715. If I get a .22lr (this thread was speaking in terms of a 9mm carbine) it would be a S&W 15-22 hands down. I would have to find one under $400 though. As far as getting a worthwhile 9mm carbine, I'll be getting a CX4 storm eventually.

Top Bottom