• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I agree with Kirk. This may be an essay way to conceal, but I have never found it comfortable. Try sitting down for a while or driving and seeing how well you can draw. In a situation where I need my cc the last place I want it pointed is my man business .

14 hour drive from Virginia with a G26 AIWB was no problem. I find AIWB even more comfortable than OWB at 3:00-4:00. The right holster in the right location on the body makes all the difference in the world. A G19 is even more comfortable since there is a larger surface area that's pressed against the body.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ummm, no, not at all....

...Get a dowel rod. When you holster as you are seated or hunched over like all the appendix carriers, where is the path of the bullet? It will not be a fun revelation for you.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We all know that Rules 2 and 3 do not apply to holstered guns.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well. Appendix carry claims another one guys. I've been rocking my M&P 9mm up front with a comptac 2 o'clock holster for a couple weeks now and it's AWESOME.

Nothing like carrying a FS M&P and your friends who know you carry have no clue you're armed. I can FINALLY access my gun when sitting in my car with ease while still being able to BAIL OUT without having to remember to grab my gun. I draw the weapon easier....it's all around a better deal for me.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Ok so I'm new. AIWB is deep concealment in your crotch right?:dunno: What's the best size gun for this type of carry? Would this carry method work well for someone who is overweight?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Ok so I'm new. AIWB is deep concealment in your crotch right?:dunno: What's the best size gun for this type of carry? Would this carry method work well for someone who is overweight?

Everyone's different. Your body dimensions, your lifestyle, the way you move and sit, etc. Since it's not just hanging on the outside of your belt on your hip, it's all much more personal.

Overweight: Not necessarily a problem, but if your belly is significantly bigger than your chest, might print a lot. If you're big, but your chest is bigger than your belly, usually works fine. If you wear low-rise skinny jeans, probably not for you.

Gun size: Up to you and where/how you wear your pants and belt, IMHO. For *me*, a mid-size to full-size is best -- think Glock 19/23 or 17/20/21/22, or think commander or full-sized 1911. Generally speaking, thinner is better. Also, depending on where/how you wear your pants and belt, you might run into issues with longer guns. For *me*, a full-size 1911 or G17/20 fits just fine, but if they're threaded the extended barrel pokes me and gets just a little too long. Also gets HOT when you're shooting -- if it sticks out the bottom of your holster, look out. Been there, done that. Just make sure if you get burned there, you kick your dog out for the night.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Vehicular carry for me is very dependent on where I am going, how long I will be in the car, and what I am carrying. My usual 4 o'clock IWB is often sufficient to give access even while seated, but if I will be in the seat for a long time, or in a situation that the probability is elevated that I may need access to a handgun, I will either move it to the between the seat & console, where my hand tends to ride when driving. Any variation of AIWB for the majority of my carry guns is usually VERY uncomfortable, especially when seated. On the other hand, a friend of mine carries a G22 AIWB most of the time, and he even has an extended barrel in his. I dont see how he can stand it, but if it works for him, that is all that matters.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Go ahead, give us the rest of the story.

In the case of the picture the mouth of the leather hosted was soft and curled in on itself. The holster got caught in the trigger of a Glock pistol. The gun worked as it should, the bolster failed. There is a picture in another thread around here.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    So around 12:22 and 12:47 I notice his reloads are behind the reaction side hip. It seems like the same arguments they're making for the appendix position of the handgun would also hold true for the position of the reloads. I'm guessing he may have a knife around 11-12 o'clock, but it seems like, if the philosophy is going to be consistent, the reload should be farther forward.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Yes. Many who carry AIWB carry the spare mag horizontally anti-appendix. This doesn't conceal for me. Trying to use an IWB mag pouch is uncomfortable for me which is why I don't carry my spare mag where you suggest. Others, as you mention, carry a knife in that position, and a few, another gun.

I agree with Michael, but let me explain. Economy of motion is one of the reasons for appendix carry, the others are concealability, retention and in fight access, which isn't so much my concern with a spare mag. First, the mag conceals fine on my hip even when i'm sitting or bending over because it doesn't stick out life the butt of my gun carried strongside. Second, there's no need for me to worry about retention of my magazine in a tangle like there is a gun or knife. Third, if i'm tangled up with someone and shoot my gun dry, I'm probably just going to drop it and go hands on or go to another weapon. That's why I carry my TDI counter appendix and not my spare mag.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I agree with Michael, but let me explain. Economy of motion is one of the reasons for appendix carry, the others are concealability, retention and in fight access, which isn't so much my concern with a spare mag. First, the mag conceals fine on my hip even when i'm sitting or bending over because it doesn't stick out life the butt of my gun carried strongside. Second, there's no need for me to worry about retention of my magazine in a tangle like there is a gun or knife. Third, if i'm tangled up with someone and shoot my gun dry, I'm probably just going to drop it and go hands on or go to another weapon. That's why I carry my TDI counter appendix and not my spare mag.

Good explanation Marc.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Use your purple.:D

Think of how this guy would have Malloyed himself with appendix carry.

Gun discharged in holster without fingers.

And if this was an appendix carry . . . ? Something like this=>Chandler man accidentally shoots himself in groin

This is why I have a thumb safety on my M&P.

I work in an ER guys, I know the risks. I have thumb safeties (or grip) on all of my guns.
    If you can't disarm a thumb safety on the draw under pressure, then perhaps guns aren't for you.
    If you manage to shoot yourself in the leg with a thumb stafety and proper holster, then you did something grossly stupid.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Yes seriously. Though in my opinion neither is secure or fast enough. This is why I always have a secondary in my vehicle with faster access. I was simply offering my opinion for single gun carry. If what works for me don't work you that's fine, but why not offer your own experience and knowledge instead of questioning someone else's.

Top Bottom