• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    no matter how much stuff you have and have done you still always want more and want to learn more? i think this might be like a addiction or am i the only one who notices this.

i always say man once i get this and test it out i will be so ready, blah blah blah as my wife always says. then a week later i am still buying extra food, clothes, blankets lol. and when i get home she is always i thought you were done preparing for the end of the world and i usually reply well i am but i figured dad,mom and my bro's will need to come over and even though its not my job they need to have kit also lol.

i just don't think it ever ends, anyone else out there like this or am i just over obsessed????

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am the same way with all of my equipment. I get a new bag and then I need the next bigger and better or a filter and then the next. If I wasn't worried about my GF freaking out I would probably have a grain mill in the garage:D

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol i am very happy with my skill set, i mean i been doing this stuff forever and have tested it multiple times lol but when i hear of a new way to do something that makes it easier i am always trying to go learn the new techniques,

lol i mean i have enough food to last me and my family for at least a year and no not just rice and beans, i have noodles, tons of canned foods and soups, ect but if i see the 10 for 10 a kroger i always think well darn i probably need some more food lol. i see tarps on sale and am like yeah i could probably use a couple of those ect. who knows lol just crazy i guess

and yeah irishfan i am the same way i wan't to be completely self reliant so if i can build it and make it work i do but the old lady is usually not happy as my stuff that i build myself is not the prettiest lol. and just to throw this out there as i don't have a ton of money but i do love new kit :) especially if it carries better, is lighter, and comes from a company with a no bs warranty

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We buy our food and other preps in more bulk form, so our stocks fluctuate some. So one of us will come home with a year's supply of something, but then we don't buy any more of whatever until that stock is consumed down somewhat. For normal food we fluctuate between 6 months and a year, never dropping below 6 months of anything. Some things we have a couple year's supply.

Indy500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have found myself checking out the sale and clearance items that would last a long time. MMM!! 10 cent can of cat food!! I wonder what that tastes like.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    my wife says its not only an addiction but an obsession of mine. i've tried like hell to get her to understand but nuttin doing. more to your point, yeah, i've just started for the most part but i'm overloading on some things and always looking for the best product. thats what makes us preppers i guess.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i can buy as many prep supplys, guns, man toys as i want. i have a good job but i do occasionaly get shot at, i jump out of planes for fun and now as a civilian pay to do it, i scuba, and she has NO PROBLEMS with that stuff .................................... but she wont let me get a motorcycle. WTF????

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    i can buy as many prep supplys, guns, man toys as i want. i have a good job but i do occasionaly get shot at, i jump out of planes for fun and now as a civilian pay to do it, i scuba, and she has NO PROBLEMS with that stuff .................................... but she wont let me get a motorcycle. WTF????

Funny, did I just hear the vague sounds of a whip? :D:D:D

I also do a lot of dangerous stuff which requires me to be highly skilled at what I do. I've put a hundred K miles or so on motorcycles (when I have one working :( ). I'm advanced open water and rescue diver certified. On my second checkout dive for my advanced OW, the class was going to do underwater pumpkin carving (it was Halloween) and some of the other divemasters were going to dive the bottom of the quarry, 65' or so, in 40f water in blackout conditions to retrieve a johnboat using lift bags and I thought that sounded like more fun so I asked if I could help and they let me :rockwoot:I loved it.

The girls say I'm not allowed to take up cave diving until I'm 65 though :D

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Funny, did I just hear the vague sounds of a whip? :D:D:D

I also do a lot of dangerous stuff which requires me to be highly skilled at what I do. I've put a hundred K miles or so on motorcycles (when I have one working :( ). I'm advanced open water and rescue diver certified. On my second checkout dive for my advanced OW, the class was going to do underwater pumpkin carving (it was Halloween) and some of the other divemasters were going to dive the bottom of the quarry, 65' or so, in 40f water in blackout conditions to retrieve a johnboat using lift bags and I thought that sounded like more fun so I asked if I could help and they let me :rockwoot:I loved it.

The girls say I'm not allowed to take up cave diving until I'm 65 though :D

YOU LUCKY MAN!!! yes its realy the only thing she cracks the whip on. so im not pushing it. She said when we buy some woods i can buy a couple dirtbikes and a 4 wheeler, and race through the woods :n00b: lol. she says that its not me she worrys about being safe, its all the other drivers.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    YOU LUCKY MAN!!! yes its realy the only thing she cracks the whip on. so im not pushing it. She said when we buy some woods i can buy a couple dirtbikes and a 4 wheeler, and race through the woods :n00b: lol. she says that its not me she worrys about being safe, its all the other drivers.

That is funny stuff....dirtbikes are so much safer than a street bike:cool: I am luck with the GF as she is a lot more open minded and into other ideas unlike ones from my past. The other day I made a comment about having a shelter from a tornado or even a disaster situation would be a good idea and she said.....it would be a great idea to have something for a terrorist attack and we need to have supplies. (she doesn't know what I have)

So to the OP topic...yes I see myself adding things like food, water, and a like minded better half:D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It seems to me that as soon as the next cases of MRE's and whatever other BS I just bought shows up I find all kinds of more gear that really would be handy and think about how much more food & water I need for my family.

Last night I put on my emergency kit backpack and started walking on the treadmill. I wasn't planning on going for distance, I just wanted to put it on and carry a rifle like I did in the old days so I would know what adjustments to make to the pack and sling. I found a few.

Lately I've been obsessed with finding the perfect camping type folding saw for my kit. I found one, bought it, then found another and bought it too. All these little $20 tools are really starting to add up. The real problem is that most of everything can very easily be justified as a needed piece of gear, but they aren't free.

I'm probably going to be going to Sam's Club soon and picking up some more soup.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    no matter how much stuff you have and have done you still always want more and want to learn more? i think this might be like a addiction or am i the only one who notices this.

i always say man once i get this and test it out i will be so ready, blah blah blah as my wife always says. then a week later i am still buying extra food, clothes, blankets lol. and when i get home she is always i thought you were done preparing for the end of the world and i usually reply well i am but i figured dad,mom and my bro's will need to come over and even though its not my job they need to have kit also lol.

i just don't think it ever ends, anyone else out there like this or am i just over obsessed????

I notice this too. I think that some of it is the minset required to prep. We sit around going over "what if" situations in our minds and coming up with lists of skills and gear we need to tackle the hypothetical situations. No matter how much we prep, because we train ourselves to think about worst case scenarios w will always outthink our own preps. Thus the cycle continues...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    make a list of gear and stick to it. its only good to you if it can be carried by you. focus more on food and water. instead of a folding saw, get a wire saw, carry a kbar (they will cut through anything, and be used as many tools). once you hit your main list of items, go through it to see if you realy need it. then keep buying food and water and the cases to carry it all in. cases with handles & wheels are great!!!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol i got my list e5ranger and my kit is set up very well. but still i always feel i can add more and more, and find better items that weigh less,carry better, and or serve multiple purposes. but it just never seems to end for me. like now i am somehow trying to justify that new taurus judge, the rifle version when it comes out lol, do i need that heck no but i would feel more prepared, yes lol (ok that last example wasn't a real preppers item but i still want it :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    LOL, I bought the folding saw first, then a wire-like saw. Neither weigh anything and both are small & light enough to pack and carry without thought. I'm going to put the folding saw in my truck, and the wire-like saw in my bag.

All my gear, food & water, and misc are sorted, inventoried, and organized. In my case, the cases with carry handles are all labeled on the outside with their contents. I really don't the idea of opening everything I got if I just need that one thing I put away somewhere.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    LOL, I bought the folding saw first, then a wire-like saw. Neither weigh anything and both are small & light enough to pack and carry without thought. I'm going to put the folding saw in my truck, and the wire-like saw in my bag.

All my gear, food & water, and misc are sorted, inventoried, and organized. In my case, the cases with carry handles are all labeled on the outside with their contents. I really don't the idea of opening everything I got if I just need that one thing I put away somewhere.

Very smart!! i too, label everything and know where it all is. even my empty gun boxes are numbered and can be matched in a couple minutes to the cooresponding gun. also taking inventory and rotating is almost as important as even having the gear and food. glad to always see more people good to go!! dont forget to rotate your batteries and medication too.

Top Bottom