Hey Obama, Tell Me I Didn't Build THIS... My First AR!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here are a couple of images of my first AR-15 build, which is going very smoothly (no dings or gouges yet, knock on wood). Here are the particulars:

Aeroprecision upper and lower receivers (superb quality, BTW)
    Forward assist and dust cover from Bradis
    PSA Classic Lower Build Kit (Classic LPK which includes buttstock, buffer tube, etc.)

I have the following laid away at Bradis:

WMD Melonite/Nickel Boron carbine barrel
    Surefire 60 round quad-stack magazine (just because it was there)

On the way tomorrow from another INGOer:

Young Mfg. National Match Hard Chrome Bolt Group (paid too much but what the hell, you only live once)

Still need:

Charging handle
    Barrel nut
    Free-float-handguard
    Gas block/gas tube
    Sights/optics
    magazines

Despite the warnings I was a victim of my own overconfidence and spent about an hour crawling around on our shop floor looking for various things jettissoned during the build. You can bet the smaller it is the more likely it is to be jettisoned, LOL but everything is in its place and fits and functions great.

I still need to torque the castle nut but I'm going to wait until I can get hold of a proper spanner (that goes for the barrel nut too, of course). The Aeroprecision lower also has a 4-40 thread at the back end to hold the rear takedown pin spring and plunger captive when working on or changing the buffer tube and/or buttstock, which I will add before I torque the castle nut.

I have all kinds of Delrin blocks, soft mallets, etc. at my shop so I was able to insert the roll pins for the trigger guard and bolt release until nearly flush. I'm waiting to get proper roll pin punches before fully inserting them.

I'm well on my way to joining the black rifle community and really enjoying the building experience and looking forward to suggestions on how to finish it out. The intended use is light weight all around range/SHTF gun. Here it is (yes, there are many like it but this one is mine):

20130301_002830.jpg

20130301_002909.jpg

bulldog451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Looks good so far! You will love the flat top, it gives you so many more options as far as what you can hang on the rifle. Just remember to save room for the cup holder! The Surefire mag is great too. I have a couple for mine. As for optics, if you are building a carbine, it is hard to beat the Eotech!

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Congrats on your first build. i just finished my first in dec. it started as an idea for an m4 at 800$. But ended(it never really ends) at 1600 and change(berfore prices went crazy). cant belive my girlfriend let me get away with it.:D

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Nice, I'm jealous. I'm working on selling what I had for my first AR ever because I can't find key parts (barrel and BCG), and I'd rather have something I can shoot. Hopefully when things settle down I can try again. Looks good!:yesway:

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Uh oh....

Your on his list now...

Looks good. Beware though, one is never enough.

Zachary8328

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    I watched my brother come home from the Marines around Christmas time and build one. It's pretty awesome to watch him do that. Looks like that would be fun. Can't wait to do that when I find the time. Hope it turns out good for you

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have 90% of the parts left in your list shoot me pm.

Thanks for the offer, I'll hit you up when you hit 50 posts (make them good ones, though or suffer the wrath of the mods!).

I did remove the buffer tube and put a 4-40 set screw in the back of the lower to hold the rear takedown pin spring and plunger. On the good side, this makes messing around with the buffer tube much easier bacause you only have to manage one spring and plunger (the buffer retainer). On the negative side, the extra 1/8" of compression on the spring makes the rear takedown pin noticeably more difficult to displace, almost to the point of requiring more force than a fingertip can reasonably generate. Oh well, upgraded pins are always an option.

I should have the bolt on Tuesday, which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask: How much wear can I expect on the hardcoat anodized upper and lower receivers? Will the bolt carrier and other bits eventually wear through the coating or scuff it up? We use hardcoat (and regular anodizing) on the surgical products we make but none see the constant sliding motion in use like an upper/bolt carrier interface makes.

Edit: Thanks, mods for correcting the thread title (cell phone auto-correction fail).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom