• FULL LENGTH OR STANDARD GUIDE ROD IN YOUR 1911

• Total voters

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Hello, Hello! I have a question in regards to your personal preference in guide rod style in your 1911. Do you flash the full length or do you roll with the standard? and WHY?

This question comes after a long period of time in which I was under the assumption that the full length guide rod was superior. I formed this viewpoint based solely on the aspect that if I went to a loaded model Springfield over a mil spec that the full length guide rod was standard. Not only on the loaded Springers but the vast majority of premium 1911s from various manufacturers come with the full length rod and it is always listed as a benefit or quality feature in these guns. If I were to look at classified ads the full length guide rod is usually listed as an additional quality aspect of the pistol being described for sale.

I had previously thought about purchasing a full length assembly to install on my mil spec but I never got around to it. I recently acquired a Kimber Eclipse Custom which features the full length guide rod and it is foreign to me. I was actually about to trade with the gentleman who I got the pistol from, guide rods from my traded mil spec and his Eclipse. I decided that the full length should stay with the Kimber as it is the original part and adds authenticity to the pistol. That doesnt mean I wont possibly purchase a standard length rod to use but keep the full length with pistol.

I recently have been introduced to the school of thought where full length guide rods are a sham. This comes from an observation that the full length guide rods actually serve no benefit at all in the 1911. Additionally not only is there no proven benefit but the full length rod has additional points where failure is potential after high stress. I first heard this while watching a video by Millitary Arms Channel on 1911s where he had removed the full length rod on his TRP. I have now read different posts on various forums where individuals are saying to dispose of the full length rod and get a standard for a 1911 being discussed.

So, What do you think? If nothing else I think the full length rod looks cool when the slide is cocked back!

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Full length guide rods don't typically help accuracy and have been known to compromise reliability.

If you want extra non-reciprocating mass, they can be helpful.

They prevent you from using some malfunction clearing techniques that are possible with a standard recoild spring guide (such as pushing against a sold object pressed against the guide plug when the slide is stuck in battery).

I prefer the standard, but if the gun works, I won't make an extra effort to replace a full length rod if it already has one.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Only advantage I have heard is [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the pistol runs smoother and stays snug longer (many, many 1000s of rounds) because the slide is guided straight back and forward on the guide rod, rather than depending so much on the frame rails for guidance.:dunno:[/FONT]

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I must enjoy the full length GRs, All three of my 1911s have them.

I understand they really dont do anything and may be a hinderance, but I think they look good.

Im not much a fan of Springfield's 2 piece guide rod set up though. IMHO that is the only one that really presents another potential point of failure. I may swap it out for a GI length on my Springer loaded.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Built a few 1911s with them, cannot tell a diff in function, however, it nixes a few weak hand cycling options and can, in some cases, affect reliability. The only gun I kept it on was a 10mm, fearing and trying to come up with any way to keep spring life up. Outside of that, GI pattern and go. Also keeps disassembly nice and easy if you do it the traditional way.

Only gamers care about extra weight on the front. :D :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All of mine have them. I could tell a difference in the cycling on my Para P-14 but that might be me telling me it was worth the extra money and effort to install. Do they help, not sure. Do they hinder performance as some say they do, I don't believe they do. Does it hamper tear down, not really. Do I like them, yes, I do.

Edit.... oops. Just brought a GI Springer home and it has the standard rod.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I prefer full length, the 1 piece type over the 2 piece.

The 2 piece work fine though. 2500 rds through my TRP in the last 2 months with no problems, and my old Kimber with the 1-pc had a few thousand through it without incident. I'm not convinced they're any more problematic than a GI setup.

Noticeably smoother cycling and I prefer the weight.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Thats the one!

I understand they really dont do anything and may be a hinderance, but I think they look good.

Im not much a fan of Springfield's 2 piece guide rod set up though. IMHO that is the only one that really presents another potential point of failure. I may swap it out for a GI length on my Springer loaded.

Oh, yes! Thats right, it was the video of the TRP and Springfields two piece rod which was in question. I must admit that when I initially field stripped the Kimber Eclipse, I was looking at the guide rod and trying to determine how I was going to seperate this full length rod. I didnt know it was just a Springer thing and I didnt understand.:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I would leave the loaded as it is. All my guide rods are 2 piece and have had no issues.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Oh, yes! Thats right, it was the video of the TRP and Springfields two piece rod which was in question. I didnt know it was just a Springer thing and I didnt understand.:dunno:

Im not sure it is just a Springer thing honestly. I cant think of any other 1911s that come with two piece GRs at the moment. My Colt and Kimber both have solid guide rods.

Does a two piece GR really cause an additional point of failure though? I really cant say for sure.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would leave the loaded as it is. All my guide rods are 2 piece and have had no issues.

I probably will. Im of the school of thought that "If it works, dont try to fix it"

Ive seen to many people try to "fix" thier bikes or 4-wheelers with the end result being me putting it back to factory anyway so that it works again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I probably will. Im of the school of thought that "If it works, dont try to fix it"

Ive seen to many people try to "fix" thier bikes or 4-wheelers with the end result being me putting it back to factory anyway so that it works again.

My thoughts exactly. Run it, run it hard and run it often.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Virtually all of my 1911s have full length guide rods. I can't actually think of any that don't, but then again I have many dozens of 1911s so I am probably forgetting about some.

For a compact 1911 the full length guide rod enhances reliablity.

On any size 1911, combine a caputred recoil assembly on your full length guide rod + a target bushingless barrel and you have not only enhanced reliability but you also have MUCH EASIER assembly and disassembly.

FWIW, I would never consider a 2 piece guide rod. Solid full length only.

Top Bottom