• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    Has anyone researched medicinal herbs or homeopathic remedies to use instead of store bought meds/first aid items in a SHTF scenario or just everyday use?

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have a ton of seed starts for just that (seedtrusts.com) however there are a few meds you can't leave out... antipyromedics (motrin,asprin,tylenol) and as much antibiotics just to start. Look for amoxacillin for fish tanks... no rx needed, by in powdered bulk, can save a life.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yep. I've spent years researching herbalism, growing and collecting and compounding herbs. Don't waste time with homeopathy. It's wishful thinking and voodoo is more effective. Homeopathy is water imbued with good thoughts. Magical thinking at its worst. Herbalism is actually based on hundreds of years of research, science and medicine. It has a basis in fact. There are many good books on the subject out there, but the one I recommend the most is the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Holistic-Herbal-4th-Edition-Practical/dp/0007145411"]Holistic Herbal[/ame] by David Hoffman, a noted British researcher and herbalist. Used copies are available for good prices and even the earlier editions are chock full of extremely useful info and how to's. You can't go wrong with any of his books.

As I've said before, in similar threads here, it's not something you want to wait to do. You have to be well ahead of the game. Start now gathering seeds, root stock and plants and get a couple of Midwest or Indiana guides for local plant life. Lots of useful plants grow wild in this part of the country and you can harvest them or even replant them in a garden setting. Some greenhouses can order plants for you and some online stores can get you the things you need to grow your own. Don't wait for SHTF to get started.

http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/The_New_Holistic_Herbal/1852301937/

BBK76858

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I actual have a Medicinal Herb garden that was specifically set for alternative medicinal purposes for my family if SHTF. I had a few herbs around the outside of the house but this past summer I moved to having an herb garden just for medicinal herbs. I have also started to use them in different areas of our lives. On top of herbs I have also added the use of Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils. I say Therapeutic for a good reason. Yes you can run down to your local health food place and buy “essential oils” but if you read closely on the labels that tell you to not use for topical for aromatic use only. This is because these ‘pure” oils are really not pure. Many have been diluted with other chemicals that do not impede the aromatic values of the oils. With the combination of my medicinal herbs and my Therapeutic Oils I know for most health concerns I will have resources to treat my family if the need comes. To quote my favorite podcaster Jack Spirko ‘Helping you Live a Better Life, If Times Get tough and Even if they Don’t” Yes Rikkrack I quoted Jack </SPAN>J.

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    I love that there is an essential oil class close by! I have used essential oils and have studied much on that subject. I just started really getting serious about my medicinal herb garden this summer. Glad to see there are others out there doing the same.
    I guess I consider homeopathy and herbal medicine the same....I didn't realize others do not. I guess I need to read up more on that.

One of my top go to books and best ever resources on Essential oils (IMHO) is, "The Complete Book Of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy" by Valerie Ann Worwood.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I am just getting into this...there is a woman out near green castle who owns a place called Hobbit Gardens, she teaches about herbs and foraging and brought several baskets of items to our be prepared school for all to try.

BBK76858

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Thanks to all that came out to the Essential Oil class at ISD on Saturday. I had fun teaching my first class and look forward to having many more. If you didn’t get a chance to come out we will be having a combined Essential Oil and Medicinal Herb class on December 8th at 4pm at ISD on east Washington. If you also have any questions you can send me a private message and I will do whatever I can to help or if there was something that wasn’t covered in the class that you would like to learn let me know that too.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Another consideration for stocking up is supplements to replace some RX and OTC meds for common ailments.

I use Citrus Bioflavonoids for sinus and allergy issues.

My favorite supplements for joint issues are; MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I give all three to my oldest fox terrier for joint issues. I take MSM when my joints feel sore.

My favorite natural remedies for digestive issues are; digestive enzymes, L Glutamine, Betaine Hydrochloride, Acidophilus, milk thistle (plant) and ginger (herb).

Milk Thistle would definitely be something good to have in the medicine bag in a SHTF situation. For many centuries extracts of milk thistle have been recognized as "liver tonics. Milk thistle has been reported to have protective effects on the liver and to improve its function. Research suggests that milk thistle extracts both prevent and repair damage to the liver from toxic chemicals and medications.

Milk thistle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Modern Herbal | Thistles

Ginger is one of my favorite herbs for vertigo/dizziness. It is also helpful for nausea and other things.

Ginger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Modern Herbal | Ginger

Slippery Elm Bark has many uses. I've made the soup for sick pets on numerous occasions.

"It not only has a most soothing and healing action on all the parts it comes in contact with, but in addition possesses as much nutrition as is contained in oatmeal, and when made into gruel forms a wholesome and sustaining food for infants and invalids. It forms the basis of many patent foods."

This SEB link has several uses and preparations

A Modern Herbal | Elm, Slippery

This SEB link details its uses for pets and has the recipe for making the tea / soup.

Slippery Elm for Better Pet Digestion

Top Bottom