• kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Had a chance to fondle the Henry Big Boy Steel rifles Mr Imperato and crew are now offering. I liked the gun's matte finish and satin wood. This is a lighter ,trimmer gun than the brass framed Big Boys and were priced in the mid $600 range . It is offered in 357Magnum,44 Magnum and 45 Colt, has a round barrel, sling studs and a nice rubber recoil pad.
    The gun fit me very nicely and I think is a real temptation. Web snatch below from GunsAmerica
    Does anyone here have one yet?

wm_7208823.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Sounds like a nice second option from Henry, however, I believe their "brass" framed guns are actually alloy plated with brass, no solid brass.
    Aside from a bit lower price, another benefit for a solid steel frame (assuming its dimensions are identical to their alloy/brass plated frames) would be a stronger, more rigid action.
    Just a slight hijack here, but an original model 1860 Henry with a steel frame is worth considerably more than the far more common brass framed versions.
    Brass framed 1860 Henry rifles can command from $30K to $60K, but I once watched an "Antiques Roadshow" with a guy who showed up with a steel framed version.
    The appraiser drooled over it for a while before confidently announcing that it was worth $95K!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The centerfire brass frame guns are solid hardened brass ( bronze) and are not just plated. The rimfire brass is a plating Henry calls Brasslite over Zamac.
    As far as the dimensions I didn't measure anything but side by side with the brass guns it was pretty obvious this new steel gun is a trimmer receiver, and was similar in size to a Marlin 1894 there but sans loading gate.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The steel framed gun will make a nice deer hunting weapon. I wanted a brass big boy until I started thinking about how shiny it is...

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I was wondering when they were going to do this. There has been rumors for a few years now that Henry would come out with a blued version of the big boy. I am interested!

JBTate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    S.E. Indiana
    Does anyone here have one yet?

I sure do!!
    Oh wait, you probably didn't mean have a woody, did ya?
    Never mind, then.
    I've been wanting a .357 lever to match the wheel guns, but haven;t been able to make the jump yet.
    This is very sexy. I greatly prefer the blue over the shiny ones.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The only thing keeping me from buying one is the lack of a side loading gate. I think its only a matter of time.

This is the only think keeping me from buying a Henry. It should not be a big deal, but I just hate the way it has to be loaded.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Nice looking rifle, but just can't bring myself to own one until I own a 'real' Henry, a brass centerfire. Which I'll likely never own 'cause I've never bought a firearm just for 'lookin' at'. :laugh:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This is the only think keeping me from buying a Henry. It should not be a big deal, but I just hate the way it has to be loaded.

I bet someone has put the bug in Mr. Imperato's ear to add a loading gate to his centerfire lever guns.
    If he were to do that and make it work well (not all loading gates work well), the popularity of those rifles would go way up.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Nice looking rifle, but just can't bring myself to own one until I own a 'real' Henry, a brass centerfire. Which I'll likely never own 'cause I've never bought a firearm just for 'lookin' at'. :laugh:

I have the opposite view of it.
    Pretty as brass is, I think the steel framed version looks better, mainly because it makes the gun look like more of a genuine shooting rifle instead of like a showpiece.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

I don't know where you are located, But if you are near South Bend you are welcome to put a few rounds threw one of mine.

Top Bottom