• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If I follow this right you're saying that standing straight up and down it will fit in the door but won't make the turn down the hall? Thats one huge couch or one narrow hallway... I assume you tried it both ways (back first and bottom first) when standing upright? Often times they will fit one way but not the other.

This was my point as well.

I guess there's no walkout basement so you can go down before you go up? :D

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    If it's not a LOAD BEARING wall and there isn't ANY OTHER way to get in in , knock/cut a hole in the wall directly behind the door .

Check to see if there's any pipes in that section , if not than proceed to make an opening big enough for the couch .

A "simple" wall is easy to fix / replace .

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    so when they built the house did they start by placing the couch in the middle? lol

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Open the recliners to there fully opened position. This will make the couch thinner allowing you to make a sharper turn. This will be standing on its end. I started moving furniture with my dad when I was 13. My dad has been doing it for 40 years. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I have had to do to get a couch threw doors.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Open the recliners to there fully opened position. This will make the couch thinner allowing you to make a sharper turn. This will be standing on its end.

Another good idea!

Open it up and see if you can "wrap" it around the interior wall/hall/opening that way.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Open the recliners to there fully opened position. This will make the couch thinner allowing you to make a sharper turn. This will be standing on its end. I started moving furniture with my dad when I was 13. My dad has been doing it for 40 years. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I have had to do to get a couch threw doors.

You anywhere near Greenwood and wanting to make a few bucks? :)

Will give this idea a try and post results after we give it a try.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Moved our metal frame dual recliner in 3 pieces , they all bolted to the frame.
    This. Most dual recliners that I've seen are just two individual recliners bolted to a metal frame along the bottom. You SHOULD be able to separate them fairly easily by unbolting the two halves from the frame.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you ever figure it out let me know. My house is the same way and I am stuck with the ugliest most uncomfortable loveseat in captivity. The only one I have found that will fit.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I'd say about a foot taller then the door... not sure about the ceiling... if I had to guess a few inches shorter then the ceiling... maybe...

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Could you stand it on end and angle it through the door way? Send in the bottom first, or top and after you get it in twist it around the corner and drop it.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Could you stand it on end and angle it through the door way? Send in the bottom first, or top and after you get it in twist it around the corner and drop it.
    backdoor is the side/garage door... no true back door off of the house.

we have stood it up/angle trying to bring it in.... that stinkin wall blocked us in previous attempts... still waiting to try the ideas listed above.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sometimes the square peg just doesn't fit in the round hole.

i've seen movers twist things through openings that shocked me but sounds like you've looked at the geometry well enough on this.

do you have a metal reciprocating saw and a friend who wants a sectional? :):
    True story. My brother helped his buddy move a couch into their small house and they got it wedged halfway, could'nt get it in or out. They had to cut it in half. Good thing it wasn't a brand new couch.

Top Bottom