Helping a friend find a IWB, tuckable, left hand holster for M&P 40.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So a buddy of mine bought one of the police trade in M&P 40's from Bud's gunshop. He's completely new to guns, and this is his first ever gun. It's a great pistol and he's very happy with it and naturally, now he'd like to get a holster. He's not going to start carrying everyday right away and his job would crucify him if they ever knew he was carrying. No trying to get into all of that discussion, I'm just trying to help him find a cheap holster that let him learn and get used to the idea.

He's seen my galco tuck-n-go type and the $30 and less price range is a good one for him, especially starting out on this path. He's not looking for anything fancy or expensive, just something that safely holds the gun.

I've looked and my google fu is either really weak or nobody is making a cheap IWB, LH holster for the M&P 40/9. If anyone knows of an option please let me know so I can pass the info along.

All I have found so far is this Desantis. http://www.amazon.com/Desantis-Carr...eywords=M&P+40+IWB+tuckable+left+hand+holster Are there any other options?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Check out High Noon. Left or Right Hand available.

Alter Ego

Closing Argument

Tail Gate

Hidden Impact

Center Piece

Split Level

These are $40 holsters. Those above are higher priced.
    Hidden Ally

Centerfold

Split Decision

You can check the availability for S&W M&Ps but they have a wide selection. I will be surprised if you can't find one that fits. The Split Decision has one for the full line of S&W M&P, some ready for laser-equipped pieces.

I used the Split Decision for a couple years. Very good unit. Reliable and comfortable. There are other options, but this one is very good.

Last edited:

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Send a PM to hphalco . He can do kydex . Not too expensive, & he does good work. What ever your friend gets , it really needs to be of quality cause that sets his comfort of carry, & even how well he handles the weapon. DON 'T buy cheap!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I agree, but you do not need to pay over $150 for a good quality touchable holster. As I said above, I have used the Split Decision for several years. It is a very good holster. Leather, touchable, comfortable. Cost me $40+shipping. Can't re-holster with one hand, but I have never had to draw down on someone; I have no objection to using two hands to re-holster. It could be a problem, but I am guessing if I had to draw and then re-holster, if I am still standing and able to do so it won't matter if I use one hand or two.

There are others available. But economical is not the same as cheap.

FYI, I do not have a dog in this hunt. I am only pointing out what I think is a valid consideration, especially as your friend does not want to invest heavily in equipment until he has more experience.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I find whatever I need on ebay, usually for a lot less. Seems like I see a lot of LH holsters there (or maybe it just seems that way because I need RH.)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    KINGTUK IWB HOLSTER: Holsters & Ammo Carriers: Inside the Waistband / Tuckable Holsters at Galco

They make them in both right and left hand models.

You can find them considerably cheaper than this link (at least I did for right handed Glocks, as I have 2 of these, and have been carrying them for quite some time) and I bought one considerably cheaper when I had picked up an M&P 9c thinking I was going to switch.

Love this holster, and unlike some posted, you can often find them in local shops (again not sure about finding lefty easily in a shop) and try it out quickly to see if you like it or not.

It clips on belt securely and holds the gun really well, but you can remove it fairly easily without removing the gun if you want too, which can be a plus on less gun handling. Easy to reholster the gun if needed. I used it for a class and use it on the range regularly, and daily carry.

Last edited:

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    The Well Armed Woman, Where the Feminine and Firearms Meet has an IWB holster that is easily converted to lefty, as well as giving you the option for how high or low you'd like it to ride in the waistband, and you can adjust the cant. It comes with locktite so you can set the screws after you make your adjustments. It also comes in a variety of color options, not just girly colors. They've had lots of guys order them and love them.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Smith & Wesson Models

Foxx Holsters.
    I have a couple for my G23 carry gun. I love the littlefoxx, its comfortable, and it somehow manages to both stay where its at all day, and if you lean away and pull the clip, it will slide right out. Priced reasonably as well.

The above poster is correct about the importance of the right belt... I broke the clip on my propper belt after wearing it everyday since 2004, so Im using a leather belt with adjustment holes, and I just dont like it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you want to get a holster you won't hesitate to wear every day that you can expect to outlast you and anyone you will your gun holster combination to, get the Kramer IWB#2 in horsehide here - Inside the Waistband Holsters IWB

I just got home after carrying my full size third generation (all stainless steel) S&W auto in it all day, and it was so comfortable that I nearly forgot I had it with me at all.
    Yes, it's a bit expensive, but if you want to carry a single gun daily in the best comfort possible, yet retain nearly perfect concealment, this holster is the gold standard.
    Check out my YouTube review of it here - [video=youtube;M17vx_5bRGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M17vx_5bRGI[/video]

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    A gentleman from my local club has an excellent write-up of what constitutes a "good holster"... Please read THIS before purchasing anything. It's a small pdf that helps you learn how to look at holsters.

Top Bottom