• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You really should look at the M&P40 or M&P45. The Smith & Wesson M&P line has won over 570 LE departments since it was introduced in 1996. Here is what other LEO's are saying at the PoliceLink forums.

Smith & Wesson M&P .40 - PoliceLink

I know it is bad form to link to another forum, but a new LEO should really be talking with fellow LEO's.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm 3rd'ing the Glock 22. I rotate CC'ing a G22 and a G23, and I never feel under-armed. Congrats on the new job, be safe, and practice lots with that new gun, no matter what you carry. Thanks for 'servin' and protectin' " :)

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Glock 22 would be a good choice. If your around the area Steven R. Jenkins sells to qualifying individuals (which you would be) for $398 and some change. Last year I got lucky and found a used G27 in their case for $329 and change. You might want to check them out. They mostly deal in glock on LE suppliers contract but sometimes have other weapons in their used case that are popular among the LEO crowd.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yup...Glock 22 or 23 (depending on your hand size and which is more comfortable) would be an excellent choice for a first gun. (A lot of people like and speak highly about the Springfield XD guns too!)

I would highly suggest that you find a gun with a 'baby brother' to carry as a back up weapon. For example, the Glock 22 or 23, both in .40, have a 'baby brother' the Glock 27, which you can wear on your ankle or a vest holster, that the 'bigger brother' mags (from the 22 or 23) will also fit...ammo, everything is interactive. [For example, I have a Glock 32 in .357SIG...along with its 'baby brother' the Glock 33, which will accept the G-32 mags.] Glock and (I believe) Springfield XD are the only guns ones that will do this.

But first, check with the other officers to see what they are carrying...and remember:
    1.) Common ammo = paid by department.
    2.) Similar guns = cheaper repairs and/or modifications for personal 'fit.'
    3.) Interchangeble ammo/mags in a firefight = PRICELESS!!!

Best to you in your new endeavor...a good day at work means going home alive! :cool:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I agree with everyone who says, look at what other officers carry. But my question, and concern is this, You are someone without experience with a handgun, dont you think you should have some ability to use a handgun before you become a peace officer, or is this my opinion. (I am not trying to be rude, I am just asking)

I was thinking the samething. What department is it? That away I know what side of town to avoid.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Without knowing what size department you are hiring on as a reserve with...the suggestions could go anywhere. I would check with that department and find out what they carry, and then go through the department to get your LEO pricing. You will be better served from a training, and maintenance standpoint if you are carrying what the other officers are carrying. Plus you will get the support of their armorer for various gun needs should you have any. Of course...I say this as long as you are comfortable with their particular weapon choice, and assuming that they have a particular armorer in the first place. Some smaller departments may not.

And I am sure (hoping, anyway) that your hiring as a reserve will madate many hours of departmental training in firearms, defensive tactics, etc. required prior to your uniformed, armed shift work.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Sig P220 45acp or P226 40 cal. Sig has a great officer rebate program. I only paid $350 for my P220.
    If you go with a Glock 22 make sure it's a 4th generation.

KahrFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Speedway
    I have shot the Glock 22's, and the xd 40's. The xd has the tightest grouping I have ever had. I carry a kahr for concealment and accuracy, but if I were to be carrying out in the open anyway, I'd buy an xd 4" 40.

Top Bottom