• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, today I went out to enjoy the weather and shoot at my newly acquired Bobcat Steel that I got at the 1500. Anyway, I warmed up with some WWB, and all fired perfectly. Did I mention I LOVE the GONG of the Bobcat Steel?

Anyway, after a few mags of the WWB, I moved on to my hand loads that I am working up a recipe. The first couple of mags, all went boom, but I noticed a complete decrease in accuracy. I thought WTF? The recipe is a 230 gr. Berrys plated, CCI primers, 4.6 gr. of Titegroup, OAL 1.210".

On the second shot of the third mag, the shot went off, brass ejected, but the gun failed to go back into battery. I've never had this happen before, so I stopped, dropped the mag, and went to clear the chamber. The slide is completely locked. I can move it about 1/4" back, that's it. The slide gets hung up on the hood of the barrel, and stays about 1/4" back until I push the slide forward, then it will go back forward.

Now on to the meat of my question. There is a round in the chamber, but the gun is not cocked, and I cannot get the round out. The slide is completely locked up (except for the 1/4" of movement). I brought the gun home and sprayed it down with WD-40 and CLP in order to soak the primer/powder. How long should I wait until the primer is soaked? I'm thinking a day or two, continually spraying it down. I'm thinking I can take a cleaning rod and push the round out from the muzzle out the bottom of the mag well (pointing at the ground, obviously). Is this a good idea?

How would you go about this?

I may just take it to a gunsmith, so any recommendations around the Indy area? Thanks.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would put the barrel in a towel and against something flat and take my open hand and apply pressure or a couple of good punds, until the slide releases.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I think I miss spoke earlier. The slide is completely forward (in battery, I guess), but the gun didn't reset the trigger/firing pin. I cannot get the slide to cock back.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would save the lubricants cause I don't like your chances of killing the primer....

Hard to visualize your problem... I have seen odd profile bullets engage rifling before slide is in full battery before and have always got slide open by inserting a piece of brass rod into chamber and gently prying the slide open... If you have 1/4 inch movement, I'd think you could get something in there...

For safety sake, assume that primer is NOT dead !

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County

What exactly are you looking for? I will try and get some up soon. Thanks.

The "round in chamber" indicator is up (meaning round in chamber), and the strike/cocked indicator is not there (meaning not cocked). Also, I have tried pulling the trigger and it is definitely not cocked. I can see a round down the barrel. I will take some measurements, to make sure there isn't a squib in there too. I cannot get the slide back far enough to allow me to insert anything into the chamber to "pry" the slide back.

Thanks for the help so far.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    What exactly are you looking for? I will try and get some up soon. Thanks.

The "round in chamber" indicator is up (meaning round in chamber), and the strike/cocked indicator is not there (meaning not cocked). Also, I have tried pulling the trigger and it is definitely not cocked. I can see a round down the barrel. I will take some measurements, to make sure there isn't a squib in there too. I cannot get the slide back far enough to allow me to insert anything into the chamber to "pry" the slide back.

Please stop looking down the barrel of a loaded gun.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Go to a safe area, and use a wooden dowel in the barrel. Use your hand on the grip and press the gun into the dowel (as in a piece of cardboard and the ground). That should help get the round out of the chamber.

My wife loaded a 9mak round into my g19 and I had to do this.

Or you can take it to a smith.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Can you tell if the extractor has the rim gripped?
    It does not seem like it would if you can move the slide at all. :dunno:

If you think it is gripped place the slide face on the edge of your workbench and allow room
    for your barrel and recoil guide to move off the edge.
    Push down on it and see what happens.....

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here are some pics.

As far as the slide will go back:

20121104_133728.jpg

20121104_133724.jpg

Pushing the slide back, top view:

20121104_133919.jpg

20121104_133855.jpg

20121104_133906.jpg

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Can you tell if the extractor has the rim gripped?
    It does not seem like it would if you can move the slide at all. :dunno:

If you think it is gripped place the slide face on the edge of your workbench and allow room
    for your barrel and recoil guide to move off the edge.
    Push down on it and see what happens.....

I tried that. It only goes back ~1/4" or so, not more than just pulling the slide back.

I think I'll try the dowel rod idea.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I tried that. It only goes back ~1/4" or so, not more than just pulling the slide back.

I think I'll try the dowel rod idea.
    Mine did the exact same thing. The ogive was jammed into the lands of the barrel. Make sure to keep your fingers out of the trigger guard. Mine popped out with minimal force.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Mine did the exact same thing. The ogive was jammed into the lands of the barrel. Make sure to keep your fingers out of the trigger guard. Mine popped out with minimal force.

And gun pointed toward a safe backstop. :yesway:

You can submerge a round in oil and lubricant for a week and the round will still go off, dont assume that you dont have a live round in your gun.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Also, I have tried pulling the trigger and it is definitely not cocked. I can see a round down the barrel.

I wouldn't keep pulling that trigger... You are too far out of battery for the hammer to fall at this point but I would bet it is cocked and if for some reason that slide would to move forward into battery, the trigger would set that round off...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You also might to wear ear and eye protection while you are trying to fix the jam, the gun could go off even without pulling the trigger.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    did u try it with the trigger pullled back all the way and pull slide back while at the range?
    maybe something with the grip safety hanging up internally.
    what about pushing down on barrel hood while pulling slide back and grip safety depressed.?

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I have seen this problem with 2 different causes. one is bullet seated too long. taking the barrel out of the gun a bullet is dropped into the barrel and the distance measured to the base of the bullet is added to the length of the bullet to determine overall length.

The other problem is not getting the case sized sufficiently to fit into the chamber. That locked up my 40 until I could pound it closed, then shot it out. The case was small enough then to fall into a case gauge.

Top Bottom