• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Nov 23, 2009
    I recently tried 150 grains of pyrodex pellets in my CVA Kodiak mag and 250 grain Hornady SST. I have been using the same bullet and only 100 grains(2 instead of 3) and had my muzzleloader sighted in 2 inches high at 50 yards which was close to dead on out to 150 yards. Right now the gun was hitting 4 1/2 inches higher with the 3 pellets and my windage was right on. How high should I be at 50 yards with 150 grains of pyrodex then? I thought about clicking my scope down 20 clicks (1/4) which should lower it down to 2 inches high at 50 yards, but what would be my zero then at 100 yards? I was hoping that someone had already done the dirty work for me so that I wouldn't have to shoot it to many more times, I am running low on primers.
    Thanks for the help,
    Chris Kiefner

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Nov 23, 2009
    I was going to set a target out at 150 but it was getting dark and I need to get some more primers. I found a sight that had a trajectory table for this load, I should be alright if I go ahead with my adjustments.
    Chris Kiefner

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i would not trust the tables. they are to get you close not exact my prohunter drops 6 inches less at 250 yds than my fathers encore. mostly because i have a longer barrel but the point is no 2 guns are alike.

what barrel length did this site use in comparison to what you have? there is 2.5 inches dirrfence in my gun and my fathers at 150yds and we both use 150gr 777 and 300gr shockwaves

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Nov 23, 2009
    It doesn't say, but I bet it is with a longer barrel. I have a 28 inch barrel on mine. I am going to get some more primers tomorrow and throw a few more down range. I am thinking I have to be close. I will shoot it at 100 and 150 tomorrow, if I get a chance I will try 200 also. That is if I get primers!
    Chris Kiefner

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It doesn't say, but I bet it is with a longer barrel. I have a 28 inch barrel on mine. I am going to get some more primers tomorrow and throw a few more down range. I am thinking I have to be close. I will shoot it at 100 and 150 tomorrow, if I get a chance I will try 200 also. That is if I get primers!
    Chris Kiefner

good plan. the chart you found should be with a few inches. good luck

my guess is they used a 28 inch barrel but ive been wrong before

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i would zero at 100... then shoot a 3 shot group and 50 and record the differance... then shoot a 5 shot group at 150 and record the difference.... then shoot a 5 shot group at 175 record.... 200 record.... provided you held up to your end of the shooting you can make yourself a table for the side of your stock that will look like this

50 = x high
    100= zero
    150= x low
    175= x low
    200= x low

NO MORE GUESS WORK!!!!! do it right the first time out, and as long as you keep the same load all you have to do is fire a few shots at each distance to confirm your chart....

in order to do all this without a huge headach you will need to know how your gun likes it... dirty, clean? shots 2 3 and 4? once you figure that out, ONLY FIRE the good shots for record... ie, if your clean bore shot is always off, use that to shoot the closer stuff and the other fouled shots for the distance work.... be sure to carry the gun into the woods with a bore the way it likes to be shot.

Top Bottom