• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Ok sarge ill help ya... Wanna hint as to the hell ive overcome and now have a progun wife whose wanting to shoot more and more she used to be a helmke... If thats any indication. I sent you a pm

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Unfortunately, my wife is one of those gals that thinks that firearms are dangerous and a waste of money. I own several, but take a lot of crap for it. It is extremely hard to acquire new ones as well. I have tried to get her to go shooting, but haven't had any luck actually getting her out there. Does anyone out there have any arguments or helpful ideas on how to get her more compliant? Thanks guys and I realize I am probably just SOL.
    Take her to the next "Introduction to Firearms" class at ISD. It's developed specifically for fence sitters, anti-gunners, or those who have a fear of firearms. Talks about fear development as it relates to firearms, identifying fact from fiction (media), etc. The class has had all positive feedback including written comments from attendees stating that the class completely changed their mind/attitude towards firearms.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Fortunately my wife grew up around guns so it was no big deal. Her concern is the money spent and the need for several guns. She has no desire to shoot, but often asks me if I have my pistol with me when we are out. Thinking back, if I were a young guy and my GF was anti 2A, it would be a deal breaker.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wifes family was totally anti-gun due to an incident their father had that caused him to loose his leg from the knee. He tried to stop a robbery and was shot with a 12 G. at the knee. That was in 1968. When I met the wife I had a hell of a hill to climb with those folks. My wife was of the mind the guns/Harley's and tattoos were for trailer trash.
    Good people just had their reasons not to like or use firearms. I never carried around them for the longest time. Left it in the truck.
    Flash forward 32 years.....I have taken all of them to the range at some point in the last 10 years and all love to shoot....even the MIL and she is in her 70's now. They are all realizing the world is changing and the need to have these skills are becoming a necessity. I have instructed all the nieces and nephews and their significant others as well. It has cost me an arm and half a leg in ammo but well worth it.

The wife has no issues with my gun safe being full....she has owned and rode the hell out of her own Harley (my profile pic was taken next to "Her" bike) and she has a sweet tattoo now. With time and patience you can bring a person (or group of) around with the right info and instructions.

Or you just married a woman that wants to hold your ass in check...............:laugh:

Luck to you.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Fortunately my wife grew up around guns so it was no big deal. Her concern is the money spent and the need for several guns. She has no desire to shoot, but often asks me if I have my pistol with me when we are out. Thinking back, if I were a young guy and my GF was anti 2A, it would be a deal breaker.

:):

When my wife and I first met, as soon as we started talking/dating, I flat told her; "before we start getting serious there's one thing you need to know about me. I'm a gun guy. I've been around it my whole life and it's been a big part of my life and who I am. The guns were here before you and they'll be here after you. If you have a problem with that, then let's just stop now."

Fortunately, her dad is a LEO and a vet so she liked guns. :D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Wife-Slap-19817704291.jpeg
    Careful. That one can have repercussions.

woman-slaps-man.jpg

Tell you friend to stage a home invasion
    If you want the divorce option, this is "Step One". And also, you have to buy some quality video equipment first.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Sarge, I do want to thank you for your service first. After reading your post, I just wonder if economics may be part of the issue? It may be that she thinks the money you spend on firearms is "wasted". Since she didn't have an "anti-gun" attitude before you were married that may be something she is concerned about. You may show her how every firearm you own has risen in price, (I'm sure that is true as I am a collector). Showing her that firearms are a great investment may somewhat sway her opinion. The other issue I would raise is your concern for her safety when you are not with her to protect her. Don't know if you are an NRA member - if you are you could have her read the articles regarding self defense incidents where firearms saved the lives of the innocents / prevented rapes or injuries, as the media rarely if ever publishes this information. As others have suggested if you have friends whose wives are "into" firearms, it would be good to have them talk to her and explain the reasons they like / carry / enjoy the guns. Might even have a family outing with some at a target range.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    8 years of marriage so far. Been trying everything to get her to go shooting. She hates them but has no reason to. Her dad and brother own shotguns but she keeps calling me a doomsday prepper and other funny things. She especially hates it when I carry. She wasn't like this prior to marriage. She wasn't outspoken, just indifferent.

Sounds like she has gotten worse, doesn't seem like she is about to change her mind after making the above comments.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Set an appointment with me. Bring your wife. I have a near 100% conversion rate and common sense approach. If you can get her into a class as a result of our discussion you will have won!

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I am in the same exact position. My wife HATES guns...her uncle died as a result of either an accidental gunshot or suicide. Anyway, she hates that I have them, that I spend money on them and all that goodness...until this past weekend.

This was our anniversary weekend and she is a HUGE Bruce Willis fan...this is going to sound crazy, but I took her to see Red 2 and her eyes were lit up like mine the first time I saw Star Wars. After watching the leading ladies fire all sorts of goodness for 2 hours, we got in the car and headed to the restaurant for dinner.

"So" she says..."is it scary shooting guns?" I reply, "Well, your mind is basically programmed to not want things explode in your hand, and it took a few times at the range to get over it, though not completely. That, with the other guns going off around you, it can be a little trying at times...which is why I like to go to the outdoor ranges when I can."

"Well, when we were in Tennessee last week and me and the girls went into that Army battle simulator, I was kickin' ass!!!...is it anything like that?"

At that point, I was like, "who the hell is this girl, and what did she do to my wife?!!!"

So, obviously, the conversation went on from there resulting in the promise that I made to take her to the range. I have a S&W M&P 15/22 rifle with a red dot and a SIG P225 with her name all over it! She is a little thing, but I'm sure since she is way braver than I am, that she will be shooting a .45 by the end of the day.

In a nutshell, it took her to target shoot in a video game for her to kind of get the fact that target shooting is fun and the fact that the movie we saw featured a couple of leading ladies who were kicking ass with all sorts of goodness.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am in the same exact position. My wife HATES guns...her uncle died as a result of either an accidental gunshot or suicide. Anyway, she hates that I have them, that I spend money on them and all that goodness...until this past weekend.

This was our anniversary weekend and she is a HUGE Bruce Willis fan...this is going to sound crazy, but I took her to see Red 2 and her eyes were lit up like mine the first time I saw Star Wars. After watching the leading ladies fire all sorts of goodness for 2 hours, we got in the car and headed to the restaurant for dinner.

"So" she says..."is it scary shooting guns?" I reply, "Well, your mind is basically programmed to not want things explode in your hand, and it took a few times at the range to get over it, though not completely. That, with the other guns going off around you, it can be a little trying at times...which is why I like to go to the outdoor ranges when I can."

"Well, when we were in Tennessee last week and me and the girls went into that Army battle simulator, I was kickin' ass!!!...is it anything like that?"

At that point, I was like, "who the hell is this girl, and what did she do to my wife?!!!"

So, obviously, the conversation went on from there resulting in the promise that I made to take her to the range. I have a S&W M&P 15/22 rifle with a red dot and a SIG P225 with her name all over it! She is a little thing, but I'm sure since she is way braver than I am, that she will be shooting a .45 by the end of the day.

In a nutshell, it took her to target shoot in a video game for her to kind of get the fact that target shooting is fun and the fact that the movie we saw featured a couple of leading ladies who were kicking ass with all sorts of goodness.

Funny thing is....everyone in the family except Grandma (MIL) was shooting a .45 by at least the 2nd range visit. The recoil and muzzle report is to much for MIL. .22 was fun for them until they got a turn with a full on AR (.223) and then they were hooked.

OP...thank you for your service

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :(
    I have tried to get her to go shooting, but haven't had any luck actually getting her out there.

Have you tried arranging a day at the range with another couple ?

My wife has always enjoyed going to the range when it's just us, but really enjoys it when other women are around.... She REALLY enjoys it when it's just the women... I guess we are just not as much fun.... That or we aren't patient enough or something...... :(

Good luck !

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Diamonds are also useless when used as jewelry. (Flame on females of INGO)

Try to see if she will go to the range or a Indy Gun Safety class with you as a gift to you, say like for your birthday, or some other special occasion that's important to you. Also if you have someone other than yourself that can talk to her maybe that would help. Her ears simply may be closed to you on the subject but may listen to a factual or common sense discussion from someone else. But no matter how you try to convince her just don't push too hard because that can result in steps backwards instead of forward.

Good luck to you as it's always nice when the people you care about support your hobbies.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    My wife didn't like guns at first either. I bought a scanner so she could hear about crimes and things happening around us. She then asked to shoot my guns. She shot a few but didn't talk too much about it until I started working 3rd shift. When I wasn't there every noise was questionable. She asked to shoot again and learn more about guns. This year she bought a G26 for herself. She also bought a Walther P22 which she is very good with.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    My girlfriend just likes to roll her eyes whenever I talk about them. She used to outright condemn them, so I guess that's progress. They more they are around them, the more comfortable they'll get over time. Don't worry OP

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I know a woman who got shot in the face when she was 12, by a family member. Any thoughts about overcoming her fear of guns?

Top Bottom