• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I'm helping plan part of a bachelor party for my best friends wedding. As part of it, I volunteered to teach at least 8 of the guys from the wedding party the basics of firearms safety and the fundamentals of shooting. My problem is I need to go to a place where I can teach them in a safe environment and not pay range fees, or be necessarily be disturbed or distracted by other shooters while I teach mostly all new shooters. I want there experience to be a positive one, as many of them have expressed interest in possibly getting into the gun community. We'll be shooting handguns and rifles. Any ideas for NWI area?

I also need a good place to buy bulk ammo, I was thinking lucky gunner, as I've had really good luck with them on shipping quickly and low prices, but am open to suggestions if there is cheaper reliable bulk out there.

Thanks for any help!

Dr Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Not sure on the range but
    Aim surplus, Natchez, palmetto armory are other online suppliers that have good ammo prices.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    8 new shooters on an active range is a lot, even for an experienced instructor. If these guys really are new to firearms, I would suggest that you enroll the group in class with a certified trainer. 8+you would probably be enough to get many trainers to hold a private class for you and the guys.

As always, just my :twocents:

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Any family members/friends with property in the country? That would be your best bet.

As far as ammo, call a few local shops and see if they're having any sales. I got a case of 7.62x39 from 21st Century Firearms a few months ago for cheaper than I found online because of an awesome sale they had. Also not having to wait for shipping is awesome.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    At someone's house:

1. Safety
    2. How to properly work firearms
    3. Sight picture

The actual shooting is the easiest to teach. After you cover all your bases with unloaded firearms, go to the range and shoot away.

JP has plenty of parking and the RO's aren't blowhards like at the Slough. The quality of shooter isn't the best though.

Damean-m44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    N.W. Indiana
    just went to kingsbury its in laporte this week it was my first time i paid $4 bucks. its a really nice place go in the morning though because it does get a little crowded in the afternoon. the guy told me that you can even leave go eat and come back if i wanted the $4 bucks is a all day pass. you might want to call i dont know if they give a discount for large parties "its worth the try"

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    No booze during this adventure, maybe later though...

I don't know anyone with enough land nearby that I would feel comfortable shooting rifles and pistols with new shooters. Unless MAC will let me use his secret spot. But I don't know him well enough for that. Could be a cool video though. ;)

I would be teaching them all at once, but it would only be no more than 2 shooters on the firing line at a time. I've taught 4 people at once, and that worked out fine. I just want a place that'll be comfortable, unstressed and able to walk down range without having to wait for other shooters to cease fire so I can make adjustments for them.

I may try Jasper Pulaski or Winamac... Those probably sound like my best bet.

Thanks for the suggestions! It is much appreciated, and I'll try to follow up with a AAR as well.

Top Bottom